Indian Premier League 2010: Full Schedule

Global viewership dip in IPL II The IPL II held in South Africa was a "fantastic commercial and sporting success" but global television viewership had dropped. The viewership of the cash-rich event dropped in the second season as compared to the inaugural year, a report by an independent global sports consultancy firm said.
I can actually picture a bunch of jealous Pakistanis racing to the restroom clutching their crotch, absolutely overjoyed on hearing this. :laugh:

And here is Modi pulling numbers out of his *****

Here is a verbatim transcript of the exclusive interview with Lalit Modi on CNBC-TV18. Also watch the accompanying video. Q: How much is the IPL worth now? A: There are different numbers being put by different analysts. The latest number that we have got from a credible source, a sports media research agency in the US, has valued the IPL brand alone at USD 1.65 billon, which is now the fifth largest brand in the world of sports in two years of operation, just below FIFA and higher than Wimbledon and F1. But I think that the valuation is in line. I think the brand worth and the only way is northwards because we have 1 billion alone in India, plus another half a billion to 600 million around the world who love the game of cricket. The IPL has actually become the number one cricketing property in the world and it is only growing. Q: So, a third successful year and you are going to go northwards of USD 1.65 billion, aren’t you? A: The target is to beat the NFL, which is at USD 4.5 billion. Q: How long do you give yourself to do that? A: I think in another four-five years we should beat them. Q: You will do it earlier, there are more Indians? A: Cricket is growing phenomenally globally. We just need to ensure that we build on different markets. We had a 680% increase in viewership in South Africa. We need to ensure we do that in England, start to do that with the American audiences. American audience is more difficult. So, we have got to first target the subcontinent people living in America and Commonwealth people living in America. So, go after them and make them tune in and just grow it. Q: Any talk of taking the IPL public? A: No. No talks as yet. There have been a lot of murmurs. That was one of the plans we had looked at when we initially conceptualised it. We don’t need the money. I think the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) needs are all fully taken care of. So, the money will go back to the BCCI, which will go back into the system as the IPL is a non-profit organisation. Q: Does it worry you somewhat that the IPL was: let’s not kid around, your brainchild? All of you guys in this avatar at the BCCI have made a huge success of it. But a few cricket body elections and all of you could be out on your backsides. Does that worry you? Is that a basis on which to build a USD 1.65 billion business? A: It should be an USD 8-10 billion business. We shouldn’t be worried about that. There will be somebody else to take it onward. Q: Do you really believe that? A: Absolutely! Because you cannot assume and we shouldn’t assume that we will be there for life. Q: I am not talking about life; I am talking about the next two years? A: Next two or three years. We have a five-year term. We only had two years finished and so there is another three years of the term. But assuming that we are not reelected after the five-year term we shouldn’t be worried about that because somebody has to carry the torch and go forward. Q: But there is no possibility you are saying in the next three years of this present administration being disturbed? I am asking you from a business point of view. A: We have a five-year term as far as the IPL is concerned. Q: Whatever happens with the Rajasthan Cricket Association, it has got nothing to do with this? A: Has nothing to do with this. Q: So you are here to stay at least till the end of that term? A: That is right.

For a Indian domestic competition, having any kind of global audience is a big achievement. You dont hear about county championship viewer numbers across the globe, do you? That is why you have the champions league. The whole supporting city teams in other countries will only grow slowly. Anyone who expected it to be more than where it is in 2 years is insane. Any what numbers did Modi pull out of his ass?

why do so many of you want a successful indian enterprise to fail? is it because it makes our wussy players hurt and not be ready for other very important series like boring ODIs and dull tests? if the same had taken off in australia or england i bet people there would be loving it. anyways, it is here to stay.:csk:

why do so many of you want a successful indian enterprise to fail? is it because it makes our wussy players hurt and not be ready for other very important series like boring ODIs and dull tests? if the same had taken off in australia or england i bet people there would be loving it. anyways, it is here to stay.:csk:
Honestly, I can not understand this ill will towards IPL.

IPL wants players to furnish NOCs The IPL has decided that all players, including retired cricketers, should provide a No Objection Certificate from their home Board. More... Friday 21st August 2009 IPL wants players to furnish NOCs The IPL has decided that all players, including retired ones, should provide a No Objection Certificate from their home Board. As a measure of its commitment to safeguard international cricket, the IPL has taken this decided of producing NOCs for a two-year period. The IPL will also not allow a cricketer to play in the cash-rich Twenty20 League if he skips participating in an approved Future Tours Programme event and instead opts to play for a franchise in the League. A communication to this effect from IPL chairman and commissioner Lalit Modi has been sent to all the cricket boards on Thursday night, a media release said on Friday. The world's premier Twenty20 League has also set a deadline of August 25 for all its franchises, eight in number currently, to disclose all the contracts they have signed with all the players. "The IPL would update the player registry and publish a finalised list of registered players with the league on August 27", the release said. The IPL has also advised its franchises not to use agents for hiring new players and instead deal directly with the cricketers in the wake of problems faced by the cricket boards because of some agents misguiding players and the franchises with detrimental effects on global cricket, the release said.