Live-in Relationships in Bangalore and Bombay and now in Chennai

fineleg

I was speaking to my Mom a few months back and she was mentioning that several people in Bangalore and Chennai do this live-in relationship now. (Several is a relative term of course, several when compared to almost negligible some years back probably). Yesterday, I was talking to my cousin in Bombay and she said this is very prevalent in Bombay too. I am supportive of this, if that works for some people, and maybe it also helps them realize if they want to stay commited and convert into marriage, or it wont work for them. Needless to say my Mom is conservative and worries abt "What India is coming to?" I chuckle of course and get her nervous :laugh: Is it true that live-in relationships are on the rise in many parts of India including the so called "conservative South India"? Other thoughts? Are live-in relationships something that "wreck the fabric of our Indian society" as some conservatives would have us believe?

South is opening up fast because of the IT revolution. A vast percentage of all engineering graduates in India are being employed in Bangalor/Hyd/Chennai and the whole social scene is changing really fast. You see a lot more young people with a lot more money and also a lot of northie-southie couples. All of this is changing the way people used to think about south india . Out of my friends, I can count at least 3 who are living in, and atleast 4 northies who are in relationship with a girl from south...all obviously facing different levels of resistance from parents etc.

I find the Bangalore girls quite modern and open. Don't know about other cities in the south.
Well my school in Hyderabad had awesome girls. :woot: But outside my school the wow factor was a little low. You need to hunt late night at happening places to find good ones. :((

Actually even Hyd aint that bad' date=' but [b']Madras is an oversized village :hehe:
:finger: Flamy be my guest when I am in chennai... My friend is in a live in relationship with a punjabi girl. He is a Tamil Brahmin. The irony is that my friend's conservative parents have actually accepted his choice..People have changed a lot..hmmm. Its a welcome change as people have actually started disregarding the caste system in our country when they look for a life partner, atleast the youger lot...