Tyagi aiming to get back to the top

Feed

Fifty-five wickets in 15 first class matches is an impressive record by any standard. When 42 come in a debut season, and just 13 in the second season, something could be wrong somewhere, reports G Krishnan. More.... Tyagi aiming to get back to the top G Krishnan, Hindustan Times Bangalore, September 01, 2009 First Published: 23:58 IST(1/9/2009) Last Updated: 00:00 IST(2/9/2009) Fifty-five wickets in 15 first class matches is an impressive record by any standard. When 42 come in a debut season, and just 13 in the second season, something could be wrong somewhere. This is Sudeep Tyagi’s story so far. He is on a mission to set the record straight and get back to his best. A lack of confidence and form led to him being dropped from the UP squad towards the end of the last season. 261x.jpg Tyagi has improved tremendously since the IPL in South Africa, working on his shortcomings with bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad. "The going has been good so far," Tyagi, who was recently recruited by Chennai-based India Cements, told HT. "I had some faults with my action and rectified them with Venky." After a successful maiden season in 2007-08, when he took 42 Ranji Trophy wickets in eight games for UP, Tyagi suffered a stress fracture in his back that kept him out for four months. Tyagi, a second year B Com student said: "I was confused. I changed my action and got into trouble. I was making mistakes. I was not taking wickets after playing three matches in the Ranji Trophy and it was good that I was dropped from the playing XI. It gave me a chance to look at where I was going wrong and rectify them." Bowling at the nets with Prasad during the IPL was a tremendous help. Though he took only five wickets in eight matches for CSK, he regained his confidence. He looked fitter and worked up considerable pace. "I always had pace from the beginning. I have to maintain my fitness and keep doing what I am supposed to. Rest is in the Almighty's hands," Tyagi said. Tyagi's confidence from South Africa showed in Australia where he was India's key weapon in the Emerging Players tournament. Tyagi was the most successful bowler in India's triumphant tour of Australia in July-August with 16 sticks in seven games. Now with the BCCI Corporate Trophy also throwing more avenues for players, Tyagi can only get better by playing with and against top-quality cricketers. "Every player's dream is to play Test cricket and I am no exception," said Tyagi. With the likes of this hard-working bowler, India's pace talent is on the rise.