Sehwag vs DDCA

Feed

Delhi big guns back Sehwag A day after Virender Sehwag threatened to quit the Delhi Ranji team, he got support from his India team-mates Gautam Gambhir, Ashish Nehra and Ishant Sharma, who all came out openly in their fight against selection malpractices in the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA). Sehwag had lashed out against the DDCA administration on Sunday. "It has often happened that four selectors get together and vote for 'their' players, leaving the chairman of the committee and me defeated," he said. "Especially when I am on national duty, they put pressure on the stand-in captains and the interference becomes more rampant." On Monday, Gambhir and Nehra also threatened to opt for other states, along with five other senior Delhi Ranji players, including Aakash Chopra and Mithun Manhas if things are not resolved. "I am absolutely behind Sehwag," Gambhir said. "There's a need to bring about transparency in the selection process. If things don't improve, I will not hesitate to move out of Delhi this year itself," Gambhir told The Indian Express. Ishant echoed Gambhir's views. "I am in complete support of Virubhai. He's is absolutely right about selection issues, things can be much better," he said. Nehra, meanwhile, said this was probably the DDCA's last chance to set things right. "The manner in which the DDCA functions, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to leave Delhi. I think this is the last chance for the association to clean up their mess. For two years, when I was injured, I didn't hear one word from anyone, and the moment I made my comeback, they are all looking to cash in on me," he said. Gambhir feels constituting a cricket committee is the only way forward. "The solution is to dissolve the sports committee, which doesn't have a single cricketer in it. Sehwag and I have been at the receiving end of pressure tactics by the DDCA to push in their candidates. If we can be pushed into a corner, imagine the plight of a stand-in skipper," he said. Will find solution: DDCA Meanwhile, the DDCA is confident the matter will be resolved once Sehwag, who is undergoing rehabilitation in Bangalore, returns to the capital. Sports secretary Sunil Dev said, "We'll have a chat once he is back. Regarding his problems with the selections, it is unjustified. We haven't played an undeserving player at any level." But chairman of selectors' Chetan Chauhan agreed that there were issues that needed to be resolved. "Much of what he has said is true. We'll try to make the selection process transparent. I get calls all the time where politicians and bureaucrats try to push their players up for selection. I'm sure we can work out a solution. We can't let go of him," Chauhan said. Sehwag confirmed he would be meeting Arun Jaitley once he returned. "I have made my position and my next course of action very clear. Right now I don't want to comment any further on this issue," Sehwag said from Bangalore. Incidentally, this is not the first time these senior cricketers have threatened to leave Delhi. For the last three years, Sehwag, Gambhir and other senior players have resorted to using the drastic measure hoping to pull in some reforms but both insist that this may be the final straw. "Several time before, there have been issues and we have expressed our displeasure openly. But unless drastic steps are taken, things do not move in the DDCA. I hope something of this sort brings some sanity in selection procedures," Nehra said. (With inputs from Vinayak Padmadeo) What the players are demanding Players are hoping DDCA president Arun Jaitley will take note of their grievances and address certain issues: Cricket Committee: Players are demanding a Cricket Committee along the lines of the Mumbai Cricket Association, which will constitute only of cricketers. That committee alone should handle all matters pertaining to cricket, including naming of coaches and selectors. Dissolution of the Sports Committee: The players are also demanding the dissolution of the sports committee which was set up as an advisory committee to the DDCA executive. Graded Payments and contracts for players: The proposal for central contracts and graded payments is pending approval for the last two years, and the DDCA, according to players, is yet to pay them logo fees. Blacklisting selectors: Selectors who connived in picking unmeritorious players be blacklisted for life, including all four members of the present selection committee, excluding the chairman Chetan Chauhan. Restructuring the DDCA league: Revamping the league that has 112 clubs divided into six divisions, where there is no distinction between a first-class cricketer and a 55-year-old veteran playing for fun.

I just read he threaten
That is a word used by the media, not VIRU. He simply said that id DDCA doesn't get its acts together, he'll quit to play from the state! Anyway, more is coming out of the Pandora's box, if anyone is interested. This I found from epaper hindustan times: Everything's possible here IN THE nation's capital, money, power and force, all talk Arjun Sen, arjun.sen@hindustantimes.com NEW DELHI: Virender Sehwag's virulent attack on the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) has created a stir. The DDCA brass has been busy brainstorming to find a way to pacify their miffed skipper. And it seems finding a way to curb the power of the powerful sports committee could be the first step for the executive committee. The 10-member sports committee, which does not contain a single player of repute, has been criticised for its absolute powers in all matters of the DDCA. Sehwag, too, had let his views on the committee known when he accused it of `having too much power and influencing team selection'. And the players want that changed. "These people know nothing about cricket, none of them watches the league games and yet, various Delhi age teams are picked according to their whims and fancies," said an India player from Delhi. "First, get rid of the sports committee." The DDCA knows it will take a concrete step to change Sehwag's mind. Members of the executive committee told HT there was a possibility of curbing the sports committee's powers in all matters cricket. What it needed was a consensus in the executive body, which normally is riven by infighting because of vote politics. "Streamlining the selection committee is the immediate step to be taken," said an executive committee member. "Selectors have to be freed from the pressures of the sports committee. They should pick teams on merit only." Sounds good, but its exethough, could be quite a task. The sports committee's control of the DDCA is monopolistic. Elections to it, which are scheduled for Thursday, have been reduced to a no-contest, with all 10 being elected practically unopposed. If Sehwag can be pacified and there is a big if - there have to be wholesale changes in the way the DDCA functions. And though the general feeling is that something will happen, this could only be because of the incessant media glare the DDCA finds itself under. Controversies in the DDCA have petered out way too often in the past for the players to be overly optimistic. ------------------------------------------------------ Another one:
Pressure, cash & favours Heena Zuni Pandit , Hindustan Times New Delhi, August 18, 2009 First Published: 23:46 IST(18/8/2009) Last Updated: 23:48 IST(18/8/2009) One of the problems plaguing the DDCA is allegations of irregularities in the selection process at the junior level. An under-19 selector, on condition of anonymity, explained the pressures selectors were under. Actual functioning: The selection panel works on guidelines from the sports committee. There are set guidelines for picking players. Often we’re told to take a few with the team but not necessarily play them. The coach and support staff are ‘told’ what to do. Some players only get two-three matches because that’s their ‘quota.’ Pressures It’s about ‘relations’ and not money or political pressure. In some cases it’s just to please someone. Maybe Tejaswi Yadav (son of Lalu Prasad Yadav), was accommodated “to please Laluji” Cash to play? You don’t get paid specifically to pick a player. But adjustments are made between the selectors where in you get your boy in and then have to vote a certain way for other players. After the player is selected you might benefit somehow (in cash or kind) from the player. LINK
And another:
It’s all happened before Heena Zuni Pandit, Hindustan Times New Delhi, August 19, 2009 First Published: 02:16 IST(19/8/2009) Last Updated: 02:17 IST(19/8/2009) The current DDCA fracas is nothing new. The best known case of how selectors work happened three years ago, when DDCA president Arun Jaitley was forced to sack the Ranji selection committee for picking Navdeep Tomar, a club cricketer and known troublemaker. Tomar, who had twice landed up at the Kotla with hoodlums in tow and often openly abused selectors, had threatened them this time. After last season’s selection meeting to pick Delhi’s Ranji one-day side, Tomar dropped in to the HT building and told us that most of the selectors were “ready to help” him. The only person he said he couldn’t bell — selection committee chairman Chetan Chauhan. We asked him to prove it, so he did, speaking to two Delhi selectors, Anil Jain and Rajkumar Sharma, in our presence; the conversations were both recorded. Jain openly belittled Chauhan, accused him of practising ‘favouritism’ and told Tomar that if he could persuade Chauhan, the rest would speak in favour of him. Jain later told HT that he had never spoken to Tomar. “He is frustrated. He wants to play for Delhi but if we try to make him understand that he does not deserve a place he misbehaves,” said the selector. Rajkumar Sharma sounded worried and told Tomar that he hoped he realised that had nothing against him. He also told Tomar the only people who could get him picked were Chauhan (also a DDCA vice-president), sports secretary Sunil Dev or sports committee convenor Vinod Tihara. Tomar reminded him that he was a selector too, to which he replied, “Arre beta, selectors ki chalti hi kitni hai? (Look son, how much does what selectors want matter?) LINK
DDCA SPORTS COMMITTEE: 14v7kmx.jpg19_08_2009_017_003_008.jpg

:adore::adore: to Sehwag to having the balls to act against this nonsense however,i'm sure its the best way to go about it.nepotism n corruption is present in BCCI too,so will he leave team India too?obviously not.these things have to be sorted out behind closed doors n by talk but if there is more to it which forced him to take this extreme step,i completely support him.

Nine Delhi players stay away from Ranji fitness camp on Day 2 The revolt of Delhi players against the DDCA continued today with nine players of the Delhi Ranji team not attending the conditioning camp on the second day. Pacer Ashish Nehra who had attended the camp on the first day was also missing today. Listen to podcastaudio.gif More... Nine Delhi players stay away from Ranji fitness camp on Day 2 Agencies New Delhi, August 20, 2009 First Published: 09:32 IST(20/8/2009) Last Updated: 09:56 IST(20/8/2009) The revolt of Delhi players against the DDCA continued on Thursday with nine players of the Delhi Ranji team not attending the conditioning camp on the second day. Pacer Ashish Nehra who had attended the camp on the first day was also missing today. After Virender Sehwag's outburst against "nepotism and corruption" in the Delhi District and Cricket association (DDCA), seven players including pacer Ishant Sharma and opener Gautam Gambhir had skipped the opening day of the camp on Wednesday. However, DDCA Vice-President and Selection Committee chairman Chetan Chauhan had insisted that the players were absent because of other engagements. Apart from the revolting quartet of Sehwag, Ishant, Gambhir and Nehra, others missing from the camp were Rajat Bhatia, Mithun Manhas and Chaitanya Anand, Aditya Jain and Sunny Sherawat. Sehwag had earlier threatened to quit the Delhi team for Haryana. Sehwag has alleged that the selection process in the Delhi team is manipulated by the all-powerful Sports Committee. He has received support from other senior players like Gambhir, Ishant and Nehra on the issue.

‘Get your act together or risk losing the Kotla’ The historic Ferozeshah Kotla ground, one of India’s nine current Test centres, is not owned by the local association, it is on lease from the government. More... ‘Get your act together or risk losing the Kotla’ Arjun Sen, Hindustan Times New Delhi, August 20, 2009 First Published: 01:50 IST(20/8/2009) Last Updated: 02:23 IST(20/8/2009) It is the worst-case scenario, but unless the Delhi and Districts Cricket Association (DDCA) cleans up its act, it could lose the Ferozeshah Kotla. Talking to HT on Wednesday Vibhakar Shastri, one of the three government nominees appointed by the union government to oversee the working of the DDCA, said the situation in the DDCA was “disgraceful”. “It’s not mandatory that they (the DDCA’s executive committee) listen to us, but if we feel that things are not being run properly, in the worst case scenario, we, through the Urban Development Ministry, can take over the Kotla.” The historic Ferozeshah Kotla ground, one of India’s nine current Test centres, is not owned by the local association, it is on lease from the government. While taking the ground back from the DDCA would be an extreme step, there are other measures that could be taken to restore the confidence of the players and the public. One thing that will come in for scrutiny is the role the sports committee is playing. “The sports committee was set up with a very different goal in mind,” Shastri added. “If we feel it has extended its brief, its powers can be curtailed, and, if the need arises, it can even be disbanded. We have everything going for us in the Capital - world-class infrastructure, Test players, a pool of talented youngsters - and yet things continue to be bad.” “The problem of biased selection has been plaguing the DDCA for quite a while now, and I feel the time has come to address this problem.” Shastri in an interview with HT last year had promised to ‘clean up the DDCA’, recently met DDCA president Arun Jaitley to discuss the way forward. “The president has assured me there will be some concrete, definite steps in the coming week. Steps which will help pacify our players and clean up DDCA’s image. The time for action has come, and something has to be done now.” “It is ridiculous that iconic players like Sehwag and Gambhir want to move to other states. The DDCA cannot allow names like them to leave Delhi. Something has to be done,” Shastri said.

Delhi players' revolt losing steam? More... Delhi players' revolt losing steam? NDTV Correspondent11:50 IST, Friday, August 21, 2009 (New Delhi) There's some good news for the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA), as most of its players returned to the Ranji fitness camp on Friday. However, Gautam Gambhir and Aakash Chopra are yet to join the camp. Gambhir is said to be ill. Paceman Ashish Nehra is back after a day's absence. The Association, which has been facing a revolt by senior players, on Thursday expressed hope of getting things back to normal soon. DDCA Sports Secretary Sunil Dev admitted that all players would rejoin the Ranji conditioning training camp very soon. Virender Sehwag, who had threatened to quit the Delhi team for Haryana, is likely to meet DDCA President Arun Jaitley on August 26 or 27. Officials said a resolution would be worked out. Sehwag had alleged that the selection process for the Delhi team was manipulated by the all-powerful Sports Committee. He received support from other senior players like Gambhir, Ishant and Nehra on the issue.

Delhi cricket's murky politics : A courageous stand to save Sehwags of future The boy smashed half a dozen sixes in his rampaging hundred, something that has become a signature of almost every Sehwag innings when he plays for India today, writes Pradeep Magazine. More... A courageous stand to save Sehwags of future Pradeep Magazine, Hindustan Times August 22, 2009 First Published: 00:58 IST(22/8/2009) Last Updated: 01:09 IST(22/8/2009) Delhi cricket is a world in itself. Here, laws are meant to be flouted, and anyone who sticks to rules is considered a lunatic fit for an isolation ward. Here, men stab each other in full public view and are not apologetic about it. Here, cricket is just a means to serve vested interests, to push mediocrity to the forefront, and to ensure that those with talent but no clout are dead before they can breathe. It is a world where everyone is guilty, be it an official who has never played cricket, or a player who plays ball with those in power. From time to time, people have raised their voice against this injustice but have not been powerful enough to silence those whose whispers can send a chill down the spine of even the most honest. Bishan Singh Bedi, cricketing iconoclast and fearless crusader of the cause he believes in, succeeded once in breaking this stranglehold of Delhi's cricketing thugs, but not for long. They were back again, and today they roam the grounds of Kotla without the fear of being punished, mocking at transparent selection with their brazen disregard of genuine talent. Young cricketers, no matter how much talent they possess, are not allowed a look in, unless they happen to be the sons of the mighty and powerful, who abound like ants in a sugar field in India’s capital. The pressure to please those who matter is so much that the number of players in a Delhi junior team goes up to 25, sometimes even 30. You need not always be a powerful businessman, a politician, a bureaucrat or a cop to push your child into the team, or resort to bribery to have your son play for the state team; you can also get your way by hiring goons to threaten those in power. In this world, nothing is a secret. Every newspaper has, from time to time, published reports of how corrupt the DDCA edifice is. But this has not stopped the next selection having a large quota for players who have nothing but their parents' CVs to recommend them. It is a world where even those who play well have had to resort to backdoor methods of appeasing those whose approval is a must. Those who are wondering why Virender Sehwag, safe in his fame, riches and iconic status, all of a sudden raised his voice and created a chaos in this 'ordered' world, perhaps don't know this story: For two consecutive years a young lad from the suburbs of Delhi would go to the selection trials of Delhi cricket only to be shooed away after facing only half a dozen balls in the nets. The crestfallen youngster found a godfather in Satish "Neelu" Sharma, who recognised his potential and pitted him against the full might of a DDCA team. The boy smashed half a dozen sixes in his rampaging hundred, something that has become a signature of almost every Sehwag innings when he plays for India today. Maybe it is payback time for all the Sehwags who are regularly shooed away from the DDCA nets even today. We must all applaud the courage of a man whose rebellion has given a voice to all those meek, helpless players who clamour for a fair trial.

Sehwag n Ishant missed practise sessions but wat angered me that they were doing ads.Sehwag is unfit n should make every possible to get fit as soon as possible.these guys complain about fatigue wen playin n wen they have rest,they shoot ads:mad:

Sehwag to meet Delhi chief on Tuesday Virender Sehwag will meet the Delhi and Districts Cricket Association (DDCA) chief Arun Jaitley on Tuesday to discuss his future with the state side a week after reports emerged that, fed up of selection interference, Sehwag was seeking a move to Haryana. Other senior Delhi players backed Sehwag's claims about the DDCA's selection procedures, with several saying that they would not hesitate to shift teams as well. According to reports, DDCA officials accused Sehwag of trying to get his cousin picked in the Ranji team, allegations that Sehwag denied. Source :- http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/421762.html

DDCA President Arun Jaitely promises to address players' grievances The differences between the Delhi and District Cricket Association and Virender Sehwag may get resolved soon with reports suggesting that DDCA President Arun Jaitley has assured Sehwag of fair and performance based selection. More... DDCA President Arun Jaitely promises to address players' grievances Press Trust Of India New Delhi, August 24, 2009 First Published: 11:00 IST(24/8/2009) Last Updated: 15:30 IST(24/8/2009) The Virender Sehwag-led players' revolt against the Delhi and District Cricket Association could end soon after DDCA President Arun Jaitely promised to address their grievances on Monday. Jaitely met Sehwag today to discuss the unrest which has rocked DDCA. Sehwag, along with other star players like Gautam Gambhir and Ishant Sharma, were not attending Delhi's pre-season training camps for Ranji. Gambhir and Ishant re-joined the camp today after Jaitely's assurances. Sources said Jaitely has told Sehwag that players' complaints against the all-powerful Sports Committee would be considered. "Jaitley has told them that their complaints would be given due consideration," he said. The Indian opener is likely to meet Jaitey again tomorrow. Sehwag has been leading the revolt against DDCA, alleging corruption and nepotism in selection procedure. His charges were backed by DDCA vice-President and selection committee chairman Chetan Chauhan. Sehwag had threatened to leave Delhi for Haryana if his grievances were not addressed.

Can Sehwag & friends ring in change in Delhi? Delhi skipper Virender Sehwag and teammate Gautam Gambhir will meet Delhi & Districts Cricket Association president Arun Jaitley to discuss the issues raised by him and other Delhi cricketers with regard to the running of the DDCA. Arjun Singh reports. More... Can Sehwag & friends ring in change in Delhi? Arjun Singh, Hindustan Times New Delhi, August 24, 2009 First Published: 23:40 IST(24/8/2009) Last Updated: 10:57 IST(25/8/2009) DATELINE Aug 17: Sehwag wants to quit Delhi Aug 18: Gambhir, Ishant threaten to quit Delhi along with Sehwag Aug 19: Delhi camp starts without big names Aug 20: Players stay away Aug 21: Nehra back in practice, fever keeps Gambhir away Aug 24: DDCA President Arun Jaitely promises to address players' grievances By the time you read this, Delhi skipper Virender Sehwag and teammate Gautam Gambhir, just recovered from a bout of the flu, could very well be on their way to meet Delhi & Districts Cricket Association (DDCA) president Arun Jaitley to discuss the issues raised by him and other Delhi cricketers with regard to the running of the DDCA. Sources told the Hindustan Times that Sehwag, who reached the Capital on Monday morning after a rehabilitation stint with the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore, is keen to meet Jaitley and end the impasse one way or the other. Sehwag reportedly has one umbrella demand — that cricketing affairs at the DDCA be handled by cricketers. To that end, he has a list of suggestions. “There has been a lot of attention on this episode now, and Sehwag wants it to come to a swift end — either the president agrees to what the players ask for or he applies for a No-Objection Certificate (NOC) before the August 31 deadline,” said a source. But a top DDCA official told HT that it was unlikely Sehwag would quit Delhi. “We’ll hold him back. After all, the suggestions for improvement that he is likely to make are similar to what we ourselves believe are needed at the Kotla.” The official said he hoped that the players’ stand this time will ensure that the executive committee stands together with them in implementing these changes. The way forward for the Delhi & Districts cricket association 1. The DDCA is a cricketing body. Why does it need a sports secretary and a general secretary, in addition to a sports committee? Perhaps the sports secretary’s post is superfluous. 2. The working of the sports committee, if it needs to exist, should be curtailed only to the running of the DDCA league. It should not be allowed to have a say in selections or the selection of selectors. 3. How can the sports secretary act as convenor of a junior selection committee? 4. Selection should be unbiased. Streamline the Ranji selection committee — three selectors plus the captain and coach. The option of having an India selector from the North as a special invitee should be kept open. 5. Accountability is a must across the board, especially in the junior selections. The DDCA president should monitor this personally, every two or three games, along with the selectors, coach and team management. 6. The practice of having cricketers as ‘passengers’ (these are players who have been ‘accommodated’ in various squads because of influence of some sort) should be stopped immediately. Similarly, people should not be put on the support staff of teams merely to please clubs/influential individuals/for votes. 7. To ensure fairness and no potential conflict of interest, any selector with a relative up for selection should opt out of the selection panel that season. If that’s not possible, he shouldn’t be present at any meeting where his ward’s case is under discussion. 8. Ideally, systems like that of voting by proxy (where a member signs over a letter of authority to someone else to vote on his behalf) to the executive committee should be disallowed. More realistically, the executive management should delegate the handling of cricket affairs to a cricket improvement committee, not the sports committee. 9. There should be accountability from officials on all fronts. If any official/selector is found to be misusing his position, he should be removed from office. Likewise, if a player is found to have tried to use influence or money in any way to get selected, he should be fined/suspended/banned. 10 The DDCA should start a system of player contracts and ensure that players get their payments on time. There should be a fair division of the money received from sponsorships etc, players should get their due. All state teams should have qualified physios and trainers. How it is done in Mumbai Improvement Committee (CIC) consisting of former players who advice the Mumbai Cricket Association on all matters directly relating to cricket. Whether it is the appointment of a coach, a change in the format to any local cricket tournament or the appointment of selectors, the CIC makes a recommendation. The managing committee of the MCA has the final say and has to ratify any decision taken. What this ensures is that current players don’t have a grouse over the way things are run as all decisions that affect them are taken by former cricketers. The norm is for members of the CIC to formally and informally consult active players and seek their views. Current CIC: Sunil Gavaskar (Chairman) Milind Rege, Balwinder Singh Sandhu and Sanjay Manjrekar, Dr P V Shetty and Deepak Patil (maidan cricket) and Diana Eduljee.

Delhi crisis : After manic Monday, happy days here again After a week of intense speculation over the possibility of Virender Sehwag leading a revolt against the Delhi and Districts Cricket Association (DDCA) and its ‘corrupt’ ways and shifting base to Haryana, the issue finally looked to have been resolved, reports HT Correspondent. More... After manic Monday, happy days here again HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times New Delhi, August 26, 2009 First Published: 00:20 IST(26/8/2009) Last Updated: 10:03 IST(26/8/2009) There will be no exodus, after all. After a week of intense speculation over the possibility of Virender Sehwag leading a revolt against The anatomy of a crisis the Delhi and Districts Cricket Association (DDCA) and its ‘corrupt’ ways and shifting base to Haryana, the issue finally looked to have been resolved. It was at the Monday-night meeting between Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and the DDCA top brass at president Arun Jaitley’s house, where the India duo — accompanied by former India skipper Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi — was assured that the Association would take steps to address the issues raised. “We discussed several issues and I can tell you that the nature of discussion was not adversarial,” Jaitley said at a press conference at the Ferozeshah Kotla on Tuesday. The cricketers’ concern centred around a biased selection process in the state teams. “Their suggestions were well-intentioned and I told both the players and my colleagues that steps should be taken so that the standard of fairness of the highest level is maintained,” Jaitley said. However, what will not please the players was Jaitley saying that the system of selectors being nominated by the Sports Committee would continue. The role and working of the Sports Committee had come under severe criticism from Sehwag, with the Delhi skipper accusing it of pressurising selectors to pick certain players. “The job of the Sports Committee is to only nominate names for selectors, in the end, it is up to the Executive Committee to either agree or disregard those names,” Jaitley said. “I can tell you the best way to run the system is to not confront your own bodies. You have to reconcile with your bodies, you can make suggestions, and I have not found them in defiance of the Executive Committee. I don’t think they will be.” The president, however, agreed there was room for improvement in the running of junior cricket in the state. “The effort of those who assess the performance in junior cricket has to be more,” Jaitley said. “People are still maturing, still developing, an assessment is also difficult. In fact, we would like some of our most tested and trusted selectors to spend their time even on junior cricket.” Jaitley was confident the impasse had been resolved, saying: “I hope everybody plays happily together, which they will.” Monday meeting: What Sehwag and Gambhir said That sports committee members should not interfere in selections. What they reportedly said was that the sports committee first appointed its own selectors and then forced those men to select their own wards to various Delhi teams. That the Ranji captain should have a greater say in selection matters. They felt that there was no point in the senior players be asked for their opinion and then, have that opinion disregarded come selection time. That sports committee members should “behave properly” with senior Ranji players and not “talk roughly” to them. That what happened outside of cricketing matters at the DDCA was not their business. That if someone had to be “obliged” in the DDCA, he should be obliged in some other department of administration, not by allowing him any interference in matters cricket. That Delhi hosted many important tournaments like the Lala Raghubir and the GG Dutt and either selectors or those who could spot talent and let the selectors know should be present at such tournaments. That pre-season trials for Delhi teams should take the form of a tournament, with players divided into three—four teams. They believed that that would not only help in finding competitive talent but also help in “fostering team spirit”. That a committee of senior (former) players is set up, one that can handle cricket-related affairs in DDCA and advise the executive on cricketing matters. (DDCA president Arun Jaitley later stated that MAK Pataudi would be asked to chair this committee) They said that men of integrity, people who could withstand pressure, should be selectors and suggested several names as potential candidates for the selection committee (please see box) (Note: They did not ask that the sports committee be disbanded or the sports secretary be sacked. There was no threat of any mutiny nor blackmail of any sort) Cricket advisory body (Possibly called the Cricket Improvement Committee) * Arun Jaitley said on Tuesday that the DDCA was mulling the setting up of a cricket advisory body, made of former cricketers. Much in the mould of the Cricket Improvement Committee in Mumbai, the body is envisaged as a bridge between the administration and the players, a body that can suggest improvements in cricketing matters and help effect it smoothly. * “In principle, we are ready to have such a body but we need to explore the idea before deciding what function it can perform and shortlist individuals who have the time and intention for the job,” said Jaitley. “We are contemplating a cricket advisory body and if he (MAK Pataudi) is willing and has the time, we would be happy to have him there.” * However, according to sources, Pataudi seemed reluctant to get involved, only saying he would think over it. “But we really want him and will keep asking him to head this body,” said an official. The anatomy of a crisis When did it all begin? August 17, when Sehwag stated that that he would quit the Delhi Ranji Trophy side and move to Haryana. He said there was 'manipulation' in selection policies of state teams and said that he would take a final decision after a meeting with DDCA president Arun Jaitley. What set Sehwag off? Nothing particular, except a belief perhaps that only desperate measures would work with the DDCA. Sehwag had been talking about making an attempt to sort out interference in Delhi's cricketing matters by the DDCA's sports committee for years now. Two years ago, he was promised change, which didn't materialize. Last season, he decided that he would make one last attempt and if it didn't work, he would move to Haryana, which had approached him last season. As the final date to change states is August 31, it had to be now or never. How did DDCA react? On August 18, some DDCA officials stated that Sehwag was trying to arm-twist the association into picking relative Mayank Tehlan. Others said that Sehwag was planning on going to Haryana as quid pro quo for his being given land for an academy there. The DDCA brass stay silent, with only Jaitley saying there was no crisis and that he would meet with Sehwag on the player's return from Bangalore. What happened next? Things really flare up when Sehwag's Delhi and India teammates, Gautam Gambhir, Ishant Sharma and Ashish Nehra come out openly in support of their skipper, saying they too will look to move elsewhere unless the situation at the DDCA improves. Former Delhi cricketers also stand by Sehwag, say the DDCA must clean up its act if it doesn't want to lose its big names. How did it end? On the night of August 24, Jaitley and the DDCA brass meet with Sehwag and Gambhir, who were accompanied by former India captain MAK Pataudi. The president assured the cricketers that all the issues raised by them would be addressed. A press conference is called on August 25, where Jaitley announces the end of the crisis and the attempts at change. —HTC