Tendulkar and 15000 test runs

Guest Hiten.

Guest Hiten.
Sachin Tendulkar has said he is not satisfied with his achievements and hopes to accumulate 15,000 runs and win the World Cup in 2011. "I am not pleased yet with what I have done," Tendulkar, who has scored a record 12773 Test runs at an average of 54.58 from 159 matches, said in an interview with the Wisden Cricketer. "Sunil Gavaskar has told me that I have to get to 15,000 runs. He said he would be angry with me and would come and catch me if I didn't. I admire him so much and to score that many would be a terrific achievement, but that is not the only aim." His other big cricketing ambition is to "win the World Cup in 2011". Tendulkar, 36, also spoke about how he has been consistently playing with pain. "I always play in pain, all the time. I played with a broken finger for the last three months, but you know when pain is manageable or not, and most of the time I can do it," he said. "I can still do what I did when I was 25 but the body is changing, so your thought process has to change too. I have had to change how I think, which is about taking less risk." Tendulkar also disagreed with John Buchanan, former Australia coach, who felt Tendulkar had become susceptible to the short ball early in his innings because of a lack of footwork. "It is only his opinion; John Buchanan doesn't have to be right all the time. If I couldn't handle short deliveries, then I wouldn't still be scoring runs," he said. "Maybe he needs to change his opinion. There must be something very wrong with all the bowlers around the world that they have allowed me to score so many runs." "I would say Virender Sehwag comes closest to my style." Don Bradman had said Tendulkar reminded him of himself and the Indian batsman was the only modern player in Bradman's all-time XI. Does Tendulkar think the same way about anyone? "I would say Virender Sehwag comes closest to my style." Tendulkar said he was not thinking about retirement yet but he would know when to quit cricket. "I will know when it is the right time, I won't have to be dragged away. I am the person who will make the decision and I will know whether I still belong." He admitted life after cricket wouldn't be easy. "It's a scary thought. It has been there for my whole adult life, it will be difficult, I have been around for a long time, I can imagine when I finish I will long to face just 10 more balls but you have to move." http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/418098.html
I could care less about him achieving 15k runs in tests not that he doesn't deserve it but I keep my fingers, legs crossed to pray that he lifts the World Cup because he is the only player who deserves it more than anyone in this bloody world. P.S: Let's hope people don't think he is being zelfish by setting a 15k test runs as his target rather than "actually winning tests for India" :nervous: P P.S: @ his comments on John... Goddy is quite witty :hail: :hail:
Misquoted. He is not setting that target for himself. Its sunny who is doing that. And yes, that was a good answer to Bhookha.:whack:
Its ironic that Buchanan said that. He claimed that Tendulkar could be gotten out by pushing him back into his crease and then getting him lbw with a straight fast one - prior to the 07-08 tour. Result? 493 runs at an average of 143+. Ishant Sharma, playing for KKR bowls at Tendulkar at 138 kmph a bouncer well outside off stump in South Africa. Result? Six. Now, can someone tell John to STFU? Kthxbye.

As long as he keeps Ponting and Kallis ( his biggest threats in the highest test runs record) at bay..thats all that matters to me. 15K is a tad too optimistic, we arn't playing that many tests. Ponting is not too far in terms of runs, is far more fit and is about 2 yrs younger - Probably the favorite for the 15K mark.

As long as he keeps Ponting and Kallis ( his biggest threats in the highest test runs record) at bay..thats all that matters to me. 15K is a tad too optimistic, we arn't playing that many tests. Ponting is not too far in terms of runs, is far more fit and is about 2 yrs younger - Probably the favorite for the 15K mark.
Pontig is abt 1700+ - runs away With this avg, how many more innings? 25-30 that almost 6 test series which might be played in 2 years he will be 36 and sachin does half of that, he will be around 13K then ponting has to catch up again *rough figures*
Pontig is abt 1700+ - runs away With this avg, how many more innings? 25-30 that almost 6 test series which might be played in 2 years he will be 36 and sachin does half of that, he will be around 13K then ponting has to catch up again *rough figures*
My estimation is that, say Ponting hangs his boots in 2011 after the WC, at the end of the Australian season 2011/12, he would have played atleast 33 tests till then - say 60 innings and 3000 runs ( roughly at his rate) ..he would be welll over 14,000 runs. SRT is just one " serious" elbow/back injury from retirement. I do not see him playing any cricket for India beyond 2011 WC. How many tests are we going to play till then ? Not too many, the way BCCI has set its priorities. Ponting has age and superior fitness on his side. I would'nt bet against him. But then again he is a champion run machine who would probably deserve it as much as SRT.
I dont see him playing after the world cup so he has to get to the mark before that and we dont play more tha 20-25 tests before the WC .he has to maintain his average to get to the mark.possible but unlikely.
We'll be lucky if we manage to get in 15 tests in that time. Stupid BCCI seems to only care about the revenue generated from limited overs games

some how, i think he is confident about reaching 15000 runs. otherwise he is not some one who will mention these things in public.See he never mentioned how many hundreds he would end up with in any interviews.he deflects that question. but this one, though he attributes the figure '15k" to Sunny, me thinks he is cool with it.

Sachin can EASILY play till he’s 40. But irrespective of its result, I expect him to hang up the boots after WC ’11, at the least from the ODI game. He’ll probably hang around for a year or more in test cricket.

It is clear that he badly wants to win the 2011 WC. I cannot forget his and RD's faces after we lost to SL in the 2007 WC. That sight still looms large in my mind. I have a feeling that this is only going to motivate Sachin and not put pressure on him. Well...I hope this is the case.
I think its Sunny who over hyped that part. He said Sachin should win the 2011 WC. He said that one news papers, magazines, televisions shows, news channels...everywhere.