Corruption in Indian Cricket

EnterTheVoid

An interesting anecdote: I was pleasently surprised to learn the clerk behind the counter of the Nando's store I frequently dine at, represented India in the Under 19's indoor cricket team. A rajput hindu hailing from the northern state of Punjab, he was a member of India's under 19 indoor cricket team, who represented India at indoor cricket tournaments held in Sri Lanka, Malaysia and like. In addition, he rubbed shoulders with the like of Harbhajan Singh amongst others When asked what he was doing flipping burgers and mopping floors in a portugese take away instead of pursuing his dreams back home, his response was as blunt as it was expected: "Corruption is rife." In India, corruption exists amongst every layer of the cricketing hierarchy, he said. He went on to argue it was difficult for someone to progress within the ranks without offering bribes / favors. Now, I don't know to what extent he is telling the truth, but it was interesting hearing his story. Those well versed in the beaurocracies / administration issues of Indian cricket, perhaps can shed some light on this, seperating fact from fiction ? Fake or Real ? Who knows ?

An interesting anecdote: I was pleasently surprised to learn the clerk behind the counter of the Nando's store I frequently dine at, represented India in the Under 19's indoor cricket team. A rajput hindu hailing from the northern state of Punjab, he was a member of India's under 19 indoor cricket team, who represented India at indoor cricket tournaments held in Sri Lanka, Malaysia and like. In addition, he rubbed shoulders with the like of Harbhajan Singh amongst others When asked what he was doing flipping burgers and mopping floors in a portugese take away instead of pursuing his dreams back home, his response was as blunt as it was expected: "Corruption is rife." In India, corruption exists amongst every layer of the cricketing hierarchy, he said. He went on to argue it was difficult for someone to progress within the ranks without offering bribes / favors. Now, I don't know to what extent he is telling the truth, but it was interesting hearing his story. Those well versed in the beaurocracies / administration issues of Indian cricket, perhaps can shed some light on this, seperating fact from fiction ? Fake or Real ? Who knows ?
I have never heard of that schmit. Indoor ???:blink:

why do u think Sons of cricket administrators like Niranjan shah , lalu are playing ? when these "sons" get a chance to play obviously they are taking someone's spot. I know a guy who played excellent cricket for u19 domestic , won the MOS in hyd but when he returned to delhi his father was asked to pay money so he can be included in some delhi squad. Anyway, the kid tried for years but he couldnt make it. He told me that "you either need to be exceptional or influential" if you are a hard working normal cricketer then your chances of making it even to Ranji team are pretty slim.

why do u think Sons of cricket administrators like Niranjan shah , lalu are playing ? when these "sons" get a chance to play obviously they are taking someone's spot. I know a guy who played excellent cricket for u19 domestic , won the MOS in hyd but when he returned to delhi his father was asked to pay money so he can be included in some delhi squad. Anyway, the kid tried for years but he couldnt make it. He told me that "you either need to be exceptional or influential" if you are a hard working normal cricketer then your chances of making it even to Ranji team are pretty slim.
Who wants Hard Working Normal cricketers in the Indian Squad? Sorry -- I don't. Yes some influential people might make it to the U-19 state squads and possibly Ranji Squad -- but none what so ever make it to the top. Even after getting to the Ranji Squad -- you better prove your worth -- by standing up to the rest, otherwise you will be a goner soon. Classic example would be Arjun Yadav in Hyderabad, he might have gotten in cuz of his dad -- but over the years he has proved his worth.
Who wants Hard Working Normal cricketers in the Indian Squad? Sorry -- I don't. Yes some influential people might make it to the U-19 state squads and possibly Ranji Squad -- but none what so ever make it to the top. Even after getting to the Ranji Squad -- you better prove your worth -- by standing up to the rest, otherwise you will be a goner soon. Classic example would be Arjun Yadav in Hyderabad, he might have gotten in cuz of his dad -- but over the years he has proved his worth.
Point # 1. Rohan Gavaskar Point #2. If a player is trying is heart out and is good enough for ranji cricket then he must be given a chance. There are players like jaffer and even SRT who didnt know many people or had money to bribe but they made it but because of corruption I think we miss out on many SRTs and RDs just because they give up after seeing the corruption at lower levels.
Point # 1. Rohan Gavaskar Point #2. If a player is trying is heart out and is good enough for ranji cricket then he must be given a chance. There are players like jaffer and even SRT who didnt know many people or had money to bribe but they made it but because of corruption I think we miss out on many SRTs and RDs just because they give up after seeing the corruption at lower levels.
I don't think Rohan G came in without deserving it. He had a string of good scores. He was tried at the top, he failed and he was thrown out, it is not like he got an extended run. If there is a talent like SRT and RD and has played cricket in at the right places -- he WILL NEVER miss out. Because a talent like them would be penned in the top 3 for his state and the rest obviously is up to him -- to show case his skiils. The only person who will miss out are guys fighting for the 10 and 11 spots, and maybe someone undeserving is playing at those spots, but if you are fighting for the number 10 and number 11 spot -- how the hell will you make it beyond your state squad ?
I don't think Rohan G came in without deserving it. He had a string of good scores. He was tried at the top, he failed and he was thrown out, it is not like he got an extended run. If there is a talent like SRT and RD and has played cricket in at the right places -- he WILL NEVER miss out. Because a talent like them would be penned in the top 3 for his state and the rest obviously is up to him -- to show case his skiils. The only person who will miss out are guys fighting for the 10 and 11 spots, and maybe someone undeserving is playing at those spots, but if you are fighting for the number 10 and number 11 spot -- how the hell will you make it beyond your state squad ?
And we should only bother about those who have a chance to make it to the national squad?