"MSD taking things too far"

Andy

Singh was a furious man on Wednesday night and he lashed out at the Indian skipper, who he thought was trying too many things too fast. “He (Dhoni) is not keeping things simple and sweet, like he sometime back. When the team was winning, everyone thought Dhoni was a shrewd thinker of the game and I think he went too far with all those accolades.†India lost their first match of the ICC Champions Trophy against Pakistan and had to win against Australia but as fate would have it, the rain gods decided to play spoilsport. Once the match against the world champions washed out, India had to rely on Pakistan beating Australia besides thrashing the West Indies by a whooping margin in the second match at Johannesburg. Singh felt India lack bench strength and the reserves were exposed in the absence of Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh and Zaheer Khan. “There is so much talk of the bench strength. Where is the bench strength? We don’t have enough quality players in the team,†the former left-arm spinner quipped. However, Singh, now one of the top cricket analysts in the country said the elimination should be a ‘wake-up’ call for the Indians. “We were on a winning spree a few months back but we did not realise that our bowling and fielding kept getting weaker. We talked of being the number one team in the world despite a weak bowling attack.†Singh preserved his wrath for the youngsters in the team, who he thought cannot be relied upon. Their mentality, he said, was poor and the attitude lacked sting. “We cannot rely on the likes of Virat Kohli and Suresh Raina. They lacked satisfied with what they did and that is unpardonable. Their conscience has to wake up.†Singh opined that Rahul Dravid’s return to the ODI squad showed that the youngsters lacked mettle and ability to excel at the international level. Was that a slight on the younger members in the team? “Well, I don’t think that makes a difference to them. You have a coach, a great support staff, Paddy Upton and yet the performance has been appalling,†Singh fumed. Questions will be asked. After all India, have been smashed out of contention of the second successive ICC event within a span of four months. For a team, trying to establish itself as the best in the world, things need to take a better turn.

Agreed Maninder, Complacency has been the bane of Indian cricket. Young guys in early 20's , million dollar IPL contracts, win a few T20I matches and get ads worth crores - When you have it so easy- How can you continue to be motivated ? Look no further than Manoj Tiwary of Bengal who made a killing in IPL but is not good enough to even be considered for the side and that joker Robin Utthappa. I bet you had IPL not made these guy millionaires without grinding it out - their motivation levels would be at another level.

Agreed Maninder, Complacency has been the bane of Indian cricket. Young guys in early 20's , million dollar IPL contracts, win a few T20I matches and get ads worth crores - When you have it so easy- How can you continue to be motivated ? Look no further than Manoj Tiwary of Bengal who made a killing in IPL but is not good enough to even be considered for the side and that joker Robin Utthappa. I bet you had IPL not made these guy millionaires without grinding it out - their motivation levels would be at another level.
Are you guys sure Patriot is not fineleg ? The 'thoughts' are so effing similar to finey's
100% right. No wonder that back in the 90s and early 2000s, when there were IPLs or ICLs, nor were there any multimillion dollar contracts, Indian cricketers were the most motivated, hardest working and we were the winningest team around. :laugh:
100% right. No wonder that back in the 90s and early 2000s' date=' when there were IPLs or ICLs, nor were there any multimillion dollar contracts, Indian cricketers were the most motivated, hardest working and we were the winningest team around. :laugh:[/quote'] FYI - IPL and ICL started after we won the 2007 T20 WC -with the current cream of our talent. IPL made them rich because they became superstars after winning T20 WC - not the other way around.
FYI - IPL and ICL started after we won the 2007 T20 WC.
FYI - He is talking about the inconsistency shown by the Indian players that dates back before IPL and CL started
Whoever blames loss of form on IPL/$$ then they either have no idea about cricket or are living in denial about Indian players' inconsistency still exist.
Its about motivation and ruthless desire to put your game at the national level above everything. Yuvraj Singh and Michael Clarke played in the same under 19 WC. Yuvraj purely in terms of talent and ability is many a mile ahead of Michael Clarke. Yet - how far has he progressed with his game at the test level ? He still has those same vulnerabilities with seaming pitches and quality spinners that he always had. With the kind of talent that Yuvraj has he should be India's match winner in tests. On the other hand Clarke has gone on to establish himself as one of Aus's most reliable batter.
FYI - IPL and ICL started after we won the 2007 T20 WC -with the current cream of our talent. IPL and ICL made them rich because they became superstars after winning T20 WC - not the other way around.
That hardly answers my query Your Lahori Madraasa logic (Youngsters have stopped working hard because they earned too much money in the IPL) = MEGA Phail, partly because 1) Since IPL 1, we've had only a handful of defeats in ODI tournaments (Asia Cup, Kitply Cup, WC t20 and now this) and a solitary test series defeat (against Lanka in Lanka), while in the same period our exploits includes; Test series wins against Australia, England and New Zeland, 6 consecutive bilateral ODI series and a tri-series win less than 3 weeks ago. Besides, if an unlucky exit from CT and a defeat from a T20 tournament is your yardstick for determing if a youngster is working hard or not, then god bless your discretion. :laugh:
Its about motivation and ruthless desire to put your game at the national level above everything. Yuvraj Singh and Michael Clarke played in the same under 19 WC. Yuvraj purely in terms of talent and ability is many a mile ahead of Michael Clarke. Yet - how far has he progressed with his game at the test level ? He still has those same vulnerabilities with seaming pitches and quality pitches that he always had. With the kind of talent that Yuvraj has he should be India's match winner in tests.
Again, can you bother answering my/our query about why was the Indian team so inconsistent in the 90s and early 2000s ? Money was not involved, so there goes your theory of IPL ruining our youngsters' future. You tell me one thing, if you get two job offers a) $1000 in 4 hours and b) $1000 in 5 days. Which one would you pick and why? Consider that our cricketers are getting paid in millions and are still willing to do the 5 days job :winky:
That hardly answers my query Your Lahori Madraasa logic (Youngsters have stopped working hard because they earned too much money in the IPL) = MEGA Phail, partly because 1) Since IPL 1, we've had only a handful of defeats in ODI tournaments (Asia Cup, Kitply Cup, WC t20 and now this) and a solitary test series defeat (against Lanka in Lanka), while in the same period our exploits includes; Test series wins against Australia, England and New Zeland, 6 consecutive bilateral ODI series and a tri-series win less than 3 weeks ago. Besides, if an unlucky exit from CT and a defeat from a T20 tournament is your yardstick for determing if a youngster is working hard or not, then god bless your discretion. :laugh:
How many of these guys look like they have improved on their game ? Please name 3 potential test batters with good technique and temperament.
Its about motivation and ruthless desire to put your game at the national level above everything. Yuvraj Singh and Michael Clarke played in the same under 19 WC. Yuvraj purely in terms of talent and ability is many a mile ahead of Michael Clarke. Yet - how far has he progressed with his game at the test level ? He still has those same vulnerabilities with seaming pitches and quality spinners that he always had. With the kind of talent that Yuvraj has he should be India's match winner in tests. On the other hand Clarke has gone on to establish himself as one of Aus's most reliable batter.
Yuvraj has won many odi's and t20s for india which clarke can only dream about, yuvraj technique is a suspect thats why he has not done well in test other wise he has done fine.
How many of these guys look like they have improved on their game ? Please name 3 potential test batters with good technique and temperament.
Why do you even go there? Your allegation was - Youngsters have stopped working hard because they earned too much money. So please tell why was it that in the earlier period when there was no rich T20 tournament around, we could not even win a lemon and spoon race. (And) in the period starting from the time IPL was launched, we have reached our highest ICC test ranking ever and became the no.1 ranked ODI for the first time since rankings were launched. Obviously, i dont expect you to answer this question because you cannot defend something you made out of Lahori Mullah logic. :laugh: