Indian Scientist Wins Nobel Prize for Chemistry

Macj

Guest Gunner
^^ I didn't consider khorana, subrahmanyan and venkataraman because they are the product of american universities and american citizens.
Meh...still :fail: There are two more, please do adequate research.

Guest Gunner
:fail: I was talking about Nobel for science
You didn't seem to specify that earlier. However, if that's what rocks your boat, why not?

Guest Gunner
Congrats I wonder how many youngsters actually aspire to be a Nobel Prize winner. Btw, Pakistani Winner -> Abdus Salam P.S Khurana B->
Khurana is not Pakistani. Why are you so pleased about Abdus Salam? :cantstop:

Guest Gunner
FYI' date='from other fields, there are few more Nobel laureates from India. Theresa, Tagore, Amartya sen, Pachauri...[/quote'] I am aware of that. I just pointed out two various obvious ones from the Indian education system since that was the context of your comment. I don't see the point in continuing this argument. Amartya sen studied at cambridge, Mother Theresa AFAIK is not the holder of any formal educational degrees perhaps honorary ones. About Pachauri you are just plain wrong.

I am aware of that. I just pointed out two various obvious ones from the Indian education system since that was the context of your comment. I don't see the point in continuing this argument.
I agree...I made it clear the context in which I was talking and I even mentioned about classical Indian scientists aryabhata and varahamihira
Amartya sen studied at cambridge' date=' Mother Theresa AFAIK is not the holder of any formal educational degrees perhaps honorary ones.[b'] About Pachauri you are just plain wrong.
FYI, Pachauri is product of Indian Educational system

They are all Indians, once the generation passes then they're Americans completely, till then India should credit for their achievements. Heck Jews still count their kind even after 3-4 generations of assimilation. Now even the Brits want him for themselves, for just living there. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/oct/07/uk-nobel-winner-attacks-funding

Most credit should be given to US/UK where research labs get good support from the government/corporations for funding and there are other avenues for research. They take a product from top level institutes from India (like IIT) and put them in a supportive environment and that's where they prosper. In my opinion this is where India lacks in many fields.

Congrats Mr v ramakrishnan.:yay: But Indians should not get over excited as he's an american national now. He's product of US education system to a greater extent. Research and money opportunities are not great in India as compared to US. There are very few good colleges other than IIts or Aiims etc. but research is still not being emphasized on that much. Its really sad that India has not produced any Nobel Winner in sciences(indian national i mean) since independence. You need funds and right people, company and environment for research. And sad to say there are less right kind of people. You dont get required support , funds , infrastructure. Believe me to publish my own paper , my teachers were of zero help , crap, some of them were not good enough to be teachers. some teachers even did not knew what research paper is? I am happy for this Nobel winner. He's done great job.