Indian Scientist Wins Nobel Prize for Chemistry

Macj

... And because of that age restriction, mathematicians who SHOULD have won it didn't as the significance of their work was realized later on Also: "Fields Medals have generally been awarded for a body of work, rather than for a particular result" So, they guy who discovered penicillin (trying to think of a mathmetician with a similiar analogy :hehe:) wouldn't have got it as he discovered it by complete accident; he was searching for something else Ultimate achievement in science ? No way

... And because of that age restriction' date=' mathematicians who [b']SHOULD have won it didn't as the significance of their work was realized later on Also: "Fields Medals have generally been awarded for a body of work, rather than for a particular result" So, they guy who discovered penicillin (trying to think of a mathmetician with a similiar analogy :hehe:) wouldn't have got it as he discovered it by complete accident; he was searching for something else Ultimate achievement in science ? No way
So what is the ultimate achievement in science ? First up, Math != Science. Math is not a part of science at all. It is a tool to be used in science. Pure math has nothing to with science or reality. Secondly, there are at least 10 times more scientists than Mathematicians.

Maths != Science. Agreed. Having said that, maths form the basis for science. Name me one discovery / achievement in science that hasn't required a thorough and rigorous underpinning of Maths Take Terence Tao, a mathematician, a child prodigy, a fields medalist. His contributions are used for , .... , well, i can't be bothered searching :hehe: My point is, The guy who wins the fields medal, can't he be a scientist at heart ? Since that is offered every 4 years, wouldn't it be more important than the nobel prize ? ********************** Monica Lewinski would have won the nobel peace prize if she kept sucking Clinton's .... :hehe:

Maths != Science. Agreed. Having said that, maths form the basis for science. Name me one discovery / achievement in science that hasn't required a thorough and rigorous underpinning of Maths
I can name 20 bajillion. Starting with penicillin :hysterical: A big majority of Nobel prizes in Chemistry and medicine have no more complex math involved than high school stuff (maybe lots of data processing in the background).
Take Terence Tao, a mathematician, a child prodigy, a fields medalist. His contributions are used for , .... , well, i can't be bothered searching :hehe:
It will be decades before anything Terrance Tao has discovered will be used AT ALL. Maybe it will never be used at all. His main achievement has been to prove a theorem regarding progressions of primes.
My point is, The guy who wins the fields medal, can't he be a scientist at heart ? Since that is offered every 4 years, wouldn't it be more important than the nobel prize ? **********************
Most pure math people are not scientists at heart. Cutting edge pure math research is abstracted several degrees away from reality. Applied math and mathematical physicists surely take inspiration from nature. Fields medal may or may not be more important but it is not for achievement in science.

...... It will be decades before anything Terrance Tao has discovered will be used AT ALL. ********************** I cite you the example of Joseph Fourier, a French mathematician credited wth Fourier series, some 200 years ago At that time, his work was dimissed for a lack of "mathematical rigour". The original motivation of his work was to solve the heat equation, but now, his work is EVERYWHERE, from electrical engineering to harmonic analysis to quantum mechanics and so on Would you have predicted where his methods are now employed if you read his publication in 1822 ? Who knows where Tao's work will lead ?