India is being ungrateful to SRT - King Viv

Sachin Tendulkar turned 34 on April 24 and one man among many who sent his best wishes to the Master Blaster was Sir Vivian Richards. In an exclusive interview to CNN-IBN Richards spoke on Tendulkar and the World Cup semi-finals. He had spoken to Tendulkar for more than an hour on the phone and felt the Little Master is not getting his due from the Indian fans. Nishant Arora: Do you think India in a way has been ungrateful to him? India as a cricketing nation has been ungrateful to him? One bad world Cup and everyone is after him, be it the selectors, be it Board officials or be it the media. Sir Viv Richards: That is where I feel the ungratefulness comes in. I think he has been feeling a little bit of that. But this is the way it goes. Today they will say you are the best and tomorrow they will crucify you. And what it takes to come back is to go out and accomplish a great knock once again. Then they will again say he is the best. I hope he can accomplish that. I still believe he has got the capacity to accomplish that. I wish him the very best. There are times when you get a little tired playing the One-Day matches, the injury factors he would have had most certainly have taken its toll but I still believe that he has got lot to offer to India. I believe that he is a magnificent player, maybe he is little bit in off form at the moment as what he would like to accomplish and get done but let's see whether the break from ODI cricket does give him an opportunity to concentrate on Test match cricket some more. But he is a marvelous player. I have always been pretty fanatical when I see Sachin Tendulkar bat. I love the class, I love the talent and I would love to see him go a little bit longer with his Test match cricket because I still believe that there is lot to be accomplished. Nishant Arora: I believe that you had a long chat with him and he is one of your admirers. So, would you please tell us what is going on in the mind of the genius? Could you make out some sense what is going on in his mind? Sir Viv Richards: Maybe he is getting some cross wires because of the ungratefulness of the people. And I think the people should respect what he did achieve and whatever style he wishes to play now. He have had achieved enough for us. And I think there are some of the little things that he basically needs to be focused on his mind now. How could people be so ungrateful when he has been so magnificent player in the past and is still is. He has just not got the confidence to get the stuff done that he has achieved in the past and that's why I think he is played on a little bit longer because he feels that he has got still much more to offer where Test match cricket is concerned. And I only try and give him advice as much as possible along the lines of keeping the game as simple as possible. Today, all the idea of cricket has changed in such a dramatic way and it has changed in our minds as well. I just want him to be as focused as he can to just think about the wonderful memories that Sachin would have left with us and still may be have for us. And I think he can achieve it but if your mind is not settled then you are not going to get anything done and I believe he is at the stage now where he is not too settled about his style of playing. So, let's wait and see when he gets his opportunity again. Nishant Arora: What kind of a conversation you had with him? You have had a fairly long conversation with him? Sir Vivian Richards: What is going through his mind, his batting and various things. And I think maybe when I use the word being in a difficult situation is because of the way he used to play. Everyone expects him to continue in the same way. I believe sometimes injuries take their toll and never quite do the things that you did get accomplish in the past. So, I think if he can find what are the things he can do now. He has to find out the things that he is capable of. We did touch on that, what he is capable of. Most important thing is you start thinking about all your things in life about batting, if things are not going well. And, we sometimes ignore the simple little factor of watching the ball. If we watch the ball, various things will get in place. And these are some little things that I try to tell him, basically about keeping the game simple. When we start getting carried away about various technology and stuff, we get totally confused. Cricket is still very much a simple game, don't change that. Meanwhile, coming back to the World Cup, Richards said that Mahela Jayawardene's attitude was the difference between Sri Lanka and New Zealand. "I felt that when Jayawardene won the toss he made a positive start and decided to bat. He did not really worry about Shane Bond. I think that was a huge message because all the talk had been on Bond and his pace. But what was important was that he won the toss, decided to bat and though he had a little hiccup losing Jayasuriya who is one of the better players in One-Day cricket and when you get Sangakkara you think we are in the meat of Sri Lankan batting," Richards said. "I felt the captain played a magnificent innings. He took the responsibility of batting and he played very well. He took them to 289 and it was his form that did it," he said. Nishant Arora: On the other side was there too much burden of history on New Zealand. It was the fifth time they were playing in the semi-finals but they haven't qualified for the final. Sir Vivian Richards:It has happened for the fifth time. You can say they fell at the final hurdle. And it is going to take a little more than just the belief that we can do it. I felt that New Zealand didn't look as tight as they did in the past. In the latter stage they allowed the Sri Lankans to get too many runs and that gave the Sri Lankans the confidence to feel the way they did and bowl the way they did.

Re: India is being ungrateful to SRT - King Viv He is selling his motivational skills here....... :lol: and sachin complaining about his fans to foreigners........ :shrug: Who used the word ungrateful here...was it sachin or viv? What are we supposed to do....remember the good old days and :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: every time he appears. Sachin was a great player ...and he got treated like that. He is average to above average now and gets treated like that.When the other don't perform ...they are criticised too....so why does he expect to get no criticism?

Re: India is being ungrateful to SRT - King Viv

Let the bat do the talking Sir Sachin!
He always does and has been doing this for well over a decade. Sir Viv is saying this to the press, not King Sachin! Quite frankly its nice to see legends coming out to defend Sachin as the recent press he has got from indian media has been a disgrace!

He is selling his motivational skills here....... :lol: and sachin complaining about his fans to foreigners........ :shrug: Who used the word ungrateful here...was it sachin or viv? What are we supposed to do....remember the good old days and :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail: every time he appears. Sachin was a great player ...and he got treated like that. He is average to above average now and gets treated like that.When the other don't perform ...they are criticised too....so why does he expect to get no criticism?
Are you high or something, when did sachin ever complain about his fans to foreigners? Please feel free to add more of your imagination to keep up with this kind of posts. I'm sure he talked with him about batting, after all not everyone is a whiner like some people who always whine about ONE guy/entity for everything bad in their lives and the world.

Re: India is being ungrateful to SRT - King Viv BTW, even during his peak SRT used to seek out time with other greats to gather tips about batting and cricket. But of course I'm sure he's complaining now of all sorts of things you can think of :lol: I'm sure he gave away few mafia tips and national securities as well

when did sachin ever complain about his fans to foreigners?
Nishant Arora: What kind of a conversation you had with him? You have had a fairly long conversation with him? Sir Vivian Richards: What is going through his mind, his batting and various things.
Arre Avi, various things obviously means moaning and bit*hing about the fans, right? Frankly, as bored as I have become with all and sundry giving Tendulkar advice through the media I think I have become more amazed at the kind of stuff people are writing and saying about him. Fine, he hasn't been in form. Drop him. Why slander the man's entire character and past record?