Chawla signs up with Surrey for 2010 county season

Feed

After a successful stint with Sussex, young Indian leg-spinner Piyush Chawla has now signed up with the Surrey County Cricket Club for the 2010 English domestic season. More... Chawla signs up with Surrey for 2010 county season Yahoonews, PTI, 22 October 2009 London: After a successful stint with Sussex, young Indian leg-spinner Piyush Chawla has now signed up with the Surrey County Cricket Club for the 2010 English domestic season. The 20-year-old took 36 wickets for Sussex last season at an average of 27.25, a performance that made an impression with Surrey manager Chris Adams. "There were two clear objectives in picking our overseas signing for next season. I wanted the player to be of true International class and I wanted them to be able to commit to spending the vast majority of their season with us Piyush fulfills both requirements handsomely," Adams said in a statement. "There is a fine spin tradition at Surrey which runs from Jim Laker and Tony Lock to Ian Salisbury, Harbhajan Singh and Saqlain Mushtaq and I hope our latest arrival will one day take his place alongside those names," he added. In his still nascent international career, Chawla has played two Test matches and 21 One-dayers, taking 31 wickets.