Ishant's Performance in the India-Aus '09 ODI Series

satishg

How does Sharma continue to not only get picked in one-day squads but then be a regular in the teams? Its just amazing that for someone who takes few wickets and bleeds so many runs that he always plays. He doesn't open the bowling so expensive yet acts as a release-valve for the opposing team when he comes on first change with his woeful radar and reduced pace. You can't keep blaming others (Prasad) when you bowl pure crap and seem to have no brain. He would struggle to get into county teams in England, in fact I would suggest he spends a season there next year to learn the ropes like others have done. Otherwise he is going to have a limited shelf life as an international bowler.

Ishant has been awful. But intrestingly still has a better economy rate in the series then the much heralded and ICF favourite >:--D
Remind me how exactly did Ishant provide us the breakthroughs and more importantly dry up the run flow for Aussies with his "better economy rate" :--D

A’right, enough of this insanity already. You gotto love the way Dsr has been reduced to nitpicking to support his claim that Nehra has been bad performer. You know someone’s in real trouble when he has to resort to arguments like ‘Today, he had the 2nd worst economy rate’ etc.. Lets look at the real numbers shall we and decide for ourselves; Since Nehra made his comeback into the ODI team in June of this year, he has played 14 matches, taking 24 wickets at an extremely impressive average of 23.08. I doubt if there are more than a handful of fast bowlers in the whole world who can boast of similar numbers (in the same period, obviously) In the same period, the much touted Ishant played 12 matches, taking a full 10 wickets less than Ashish, at an moderate average of 34.00 per wicket. And just to add more perspective, lets also at Praveen’s Kumar’s record. In the same period, PK played 7 matches, took just 5 wickets in them at a very mediocre average of 52.80. And yet, who does Dsr consider as a bowler who ‘should be nowhere near the Indian team’.. ? With those sort of numbers, if Nehra is not even good enough to be in the Indian team, I am guessing Dsr will probably consider Ishant not even good enough to be in the zonal side and Praveen Kumar not even good enough to be in the state side.

Dude, DSR's criticisms are not strictly related to stats so don't be fooled by them. DSR has a terrific eye for genuine performers and he backs them fully. How I wish to poke his cricketing eye out :wall:

A’right, enough of this insanity already. You gotto love the way Dsr has been reduced to nitpicking to support his claim that Nehra has been bad performer. You know someone’s in real trouble when he has to resort to arguments like ‘Today, he had the 2nd worst economy rate’ etc.. Lets look at the real numbers shall we and decide for ourselves; Since Nehra made his comeback into the ODI team in June of this year, he has played 14 matches, taking 24 wickets at an extremely impressive average of 23.08. I doubt if there are more than a handful of fast bowlers in the whole world who can boast of similar numbers (in the same period, obviously) In the same period, the much touted Ishant played 12 matches, taking a full 10 wickets less than Ashish, at an moderate average of 34.00 per wicket. And just to add more perspective, lets also at Praveen’s Kumar’s record. In the same period, PK played 7 matches, took just 5 wickets in them at a very mediocre average of 52.80. And yet, who does Dsr consider as a bowler who ‘should be nowhere near the Indian team’.. ? With those sort of numbers, if Nehra is not even good enough to be in the Indian team, I am guessing Dsr will probably consider Ishant not even good enough to be in the zonal side and Praveen Kumar not even good enough to be in the state side.
Ishant should be dropped as well. Just pointing out to Nehra fans like yourself that Ishant has bowled awful in this series and ironically Nehra(the fans fav) has bowled even worse. And going back to my thread on Nehra. If you note I state he did ok in SA. But I also stated that it was a flash in the pan and that he will exposed starting by this oz series. And so far with Nehra having the worst economy rate of all our bowlers in this series, I have been proved correct. So if Ishant is under the scannner so should Nehra.

You do realize that Nehra has bowled 3 out of 5 batting power play overs in every match in addition to bowling in the first power play? Even if your context and meaningless use of stats does not process that I am happy with the knowledge that Dhoni considers him to be the leader of the attack, calls him the pick of the bowlers, and trusts him to do the most difficult of job of bowling in the batting powerplay at the end of the innings.

Ishant should be dropped as well. Just pointing out to Nehra fans like yourself that Ishant has bowled awful in this series and ironically Nehra(the fans fav) has bowled even worse.
Lol, when did I all of a sudden become a Nehra fan? I am no Nehra fan, in the sense that I am not going to support him blindly, just like how I wont hesitate to give him credit when he deserves it (which he does now).
And going back to my thread on Nehra. If you note I state he did ok in SA. But I also stated that it was a flash in the pan and that he will exposed starting by this oz series. And so far with Nehra having the worst economy rate of all our bowlers in this series' date=' I have been proved correct. So if Ishant is under the scannner so should Nehra. [/quote'] Lulz.. Again, its one of those classic cases of nitpicking where you pick an isolated stat, twist it beyond recognition to drive home your point. As hard as you might try to discredit Nehra’s performance in this series (and correspondingly bolster your argument that he isn’t good enough), the whole world can see how he is bowling. We’re not all blind. Nehra has had the totally unenviable job of not only bowling upfront, but also during the batting power play and the death overs. Obviously, he is bound to go for a few runs. And when the rest of our pace bowlers have trundled in and delivered pancakes to the batsmen, Nehra has shown good commitment and bowled with decent pace and venom. No stat can capture that. And if you’re so intent on playing the stat game, how about the collection of stats that show Nehra to be our best bowler since the time he made his comeback into the team?

4th Odi: Nehra: 23/1(5:Marsh), 14/2(3: Death overs + PowP) Kumar: 27/0(7), 12/0(2: Death + PowP) Ishant: 30/0(4: 1st change), 12/0(1) 3rd Odi: Nehra:24/0(5), 27/0(4: Death + PowP) Kumar:10/0(4), 6/0(1), Ishant: 17/0(3:1st change), 7/0(2) 2nd odi: Nehra:19/0(4), 21/1(3: Death, Garbage time) Kumar:28/2(7: Paine, Ponting), 9/0(1: Death, Garbage time) Ishant:20/1(5), 14/1(3:Garbage time) 1st odi: Nehra: 22/1(5:Watson), 17/0(2), 19/1(3: Death + PowP) Kumar: 32/0(5), 15/0(3), 30/0(2: Death + PowP) Ishant:27/1(7), 23/2(3: Death + PowP) Nehra Opening Spell: 90/2(19): Decent. Death Stats: 81/4(13): Excellent Mid-overs: 17/0(2): can improve but not enough data points Kumar Opening Spell: 97/2(23):Good Death Overs: 57/0(6): Poor Mid-overs: 15/0(3) Ishant 1st change: 94/2(19): Ok Mid: 19/0(3) Death: 37/3(6): Good For me, it's quite clear that Nehra is the best we have got right now in terms of death bowling. So, he is a must. Kumar is terrible in death but actually a bit better than Nehra as an opening bowler. Their combination will be deadly on a seaming wicket. Imho, when Zak is back PK should bowl 10 on the trot. Nehra should bowl 1st change and the 2 should bowl 5 each at the death. Ishant is on his way out I think. Munaf can substitute Kumar if injured/out of form.