Does Dhoni have right fielders in the right places?

vvvslaxman

Is Dhoni good at hiding his fielders? Other day Nehra was stationed at long off for Jadeja's bowling. Wrong place to be in. I would have preferred someone else say Harbhajan may be. I know he has to settle for this fielding unit. I still think he could do a better utilization of these resources. Fielders to hide Nehra Ishant Praveen Even if it takes a bit of time Dhoni should constantly assess the position of these 3 fielders. Tendulkar is not as sharp as he used to be. But he could do a decent job anywhere infront of the wickets rather than behind the wickets like slips, backward point, short fine leg.

How many fielders is he supposed to hide. When I've played cricket' date=' I found its hard enough to hide 1 fielder and you want him to hide 3?[/quote'] And the ball does not go "accidentally" to these fielders. Opponents read the fielding (in)abilities of some players and tend to exploit their weaknesses.
And the ball does not go "accidentally" to these fielders. Opponents read the fielding (in)abilities of some players and tend to exploit their weaknesses.
Yup, these things are discussed pre-match. If any player has a slight niggle, you aim to make their time on the field as uncomfortable as possible. When you pick out weak fielders, you know you can push the ball to them and just run, put extra pressure on them.

there was a joke that was making rounds after we won the T20WC.. Why did Misbah get out in that fashion playing that shot.. answer was he did not know that there is a Mallu in every corner of the world.. bring back Santhakumaran Sakkath Sreesanth.. all our fielding problems will be solved.. our man can be positioned at long on and he can still take a catch that goes to fineleg..

lol@Mallu everywhere. I have seen Kapil position himself in various positions according to batsmen. Just a thought. Because in local matches we do that. Usually only 3 or 4 out of 11 would be good. We would strategically place them for every batsman. I know that could affect over-rate. But if you have already planned it in advance you wouldn't have to be scratching your head on the ground

lol@Mallu everywhere. I have seen Kapil position himself in various positions according to batsmen. Just a thought. Because in local matches we do that. Usually only 3 or 4 out of 11 would be good. We would strategically place them for every batsman. I know that could affect over-rate. But if you have already planned it in advance you wouldn't have to be scratching your head on the ground
OK for a moment lets say that we can hide 3 fielders in some places. We have 6 fielders (took away the bowler and keeper) in the 'right' positions, then we have Ishant, P Kumar, Nehra and Bhaji bowling, do you really think those fielders are going to remain hidden for long? You can't hide fielders if the bowlers can't bowl to their field
OK for a moment lets say that we can hide 3 fielders in some places. We have 6 fielders (took away the bowler and keeper) in the 'right' positions, then we have Ishant, P Kumar, Nehra and Bhaji bowling, do you really think those fielders are going to remain hidden for long? You can't hide fielders if the bowlers can't bowl to their field
Yes You can. It is common sense. You don't station Nehra in slips. You can't place RP singh in Point. Why? Because they will suck at it. Why can't we extend that logic to other positions.
Yes You can. It is common sense. You don't station Nehra in slips. You can't place RP singh in Point. Why? Because they will suck at it. Why can't we extend that logic to other positions.
You can position Nehra at fine leg, but if Bhaji bowls on the batsman's legs, how is he hidden, how does that help the situation? You can hide a fielder, set a field if your bowler is capable of bowling to a plan, but if they can't do that then the batsmen will punish that bowler. When were those guys fielding in slips or in the point region?
You can position Nehra at fine leg, but if Bhaji bowls on the batsman's legs, how is he hidden, how does that help the situation? You can hide a fielder, set a field if your bowler is capable of bowling to a plan, but if they can't do that then the batsmen will punish that bowler. When were those guys fielding in slips or in the point region?
Okay you are talking about a whole different thing. Assume the bowler bowls a perfect delivery like a spinner tosses the ball up. Batsman takes a chance, lifting him towards long off. Who would you have there? Ashish Nehra?
Okay you are talking about a whole different thing. Assume the bowler bowls a perfect delivery like a spinner tosses the ball up. Batsman takes a chance' date=' lifting him towards long off. Who would you have there? Ashish Nehra?[/quote'] OK fair enough he is the wrong fielder to be there, I don't know why he was there. Maybe the other fielders were required in other areas. But you started a topic about hiding fielders and I'm saying hiding fielders is not as easy as it sounds
OK fair enough he is the wrong fielder to be there, I don't know why he was there. Maybe the other fielders were required in other areas. But you started a topic about hiding fielders and I'm saying hiding fielders is not as easy as it sounds
Okay that didn't come across well. When i say "hiding fielders", i meant putting the right fielders in the right places. I have seen Dhoni do that before. Not that he is totally clueless about it. Yuvraj has been placed at different spots. Sometimes short fine leg, at times point, at times slip. We are left with optimizing whatever we have. I don't see these Nehras, Ishants, Praveens, Munafs improving their fielding. They barely have energy for bowling let alone fielding. So Dhoni can do the best he can in terms of placing better fielders in certain areas. I think Dwayne Bravo does that for Windies.
Okay that didn't come across well. When i say "hiding fielders", i meant putting the right fielders in the right places. I have seen Dhoni do that before. Not that he is totally clueless about it. Yuvraj has been placed at different spots. Sometimes short fine leg, at times point, at times slip. We are left with optimizing whatever we have. I don't see these Nehras, Ishants, Praveens, Munafs improving their fielding. They barely have energy for bowling let alone fielding. So Dhoni can do the best he can in terms of placing better fielders in certain areas. I think Dwayne Bravo does that for Windies.
why do you think they are like that? poor diet in thier growing up years. or because they just played and never trained in the gym.