What is life?

fineleg

Oh hell. Either I'm not expressing myself or we're just not getting each other today. I didn't think you implied otherwise. :icflove:
Oh!! I was not offended or anything, I just felt perhaps I didn't convey myself appropriately. Its cool. :icflove:

There are many people who live their life just for that afterlife and in turn don't really do justice to this life.
True. I'm not one of them. I do believe in life after death, at the same time I see It's My Life by Bon Jovi as my personal anthem. Lyrics like "It's my life, it's now or never, I ain't gonna live forever. I just wanna live while I'm alive" states the way I live this one.

How would you do justice to this life ?
In broader sense it is very difficult to answer as we don't even know how/why we are here. But personally I feel whatever actions your are doing if they are not bearing results in this world then you are not justifying your life.

There are many people who live their life just for that afterlife and in turn don't really do justice to this life.
How would you do justice to this life ?
More is the pity.
Well, thats the thing. Religiously speaking the whole point of THIS life IS the afterlife. Its just a series of tests and opporunities to gain reward for the afterlife. To do that well is to do this life justice. This life actually means nothing really. All this is theoretically speaking of course, whether the pracitioners of the religions actually bear that in mind is a different matter. **** me is this thread profound

The purpose of life on this earth is experience. Life is an experience festival. We have chosen this life along with all the "happy" and the "sad" because we wanted to live more.
Exactly my view. :icflove::icflove:

Really, not being tacky or cheesy... Philosophical - Yes, but still real question...And, no its not what punjabi_khota says why I ask these qns :cantstop: but sometimes these thoughts and questions come in one's mind :) As per you what is life and what do you want out of it? Dimensions to ponder:
  • Goals in life
  • Dreams in life
  • Needs in life
  • Passion in life
  • Purpose of life
  • Achievements in life or Accomplishments in life

Happiness and Satisfaction vs Fame and Fortune... Or is 'Striving for balance among all this' the eternal quest of life? :dontknow:

To me really its none of this. The best answer I can possibly find is in the series of questions that were asked in Mahabharta. One such question is - What do you find most fascinating about life? Think about it and answer that, you will find you got the meaning of life. xxx PS: The answer in Mahabharta to that question, by Yuddhisthira, was Everyday we see people around us dieing and yet we crave for life.

Personally, I don't see the "afterlife" as being separate from my life now. It's just another dimension. Sure, in that dimension, the wonder and scintillating beauty of our Universe is much more apparent, but you only need to look closer right now to see all that. And, inter-dimension travel is not impossible. It takes practice but we can do it as easily as some of our ancestors.

I don't think we can ponder the meaning or purpose of life without pondering over the meaning of this universe.
Don't you think there is also a certain element of uman ego involved when we ponder the question of the universe and our role in that?

Well, thats the thing. Religiously speaking the whole point of THIS life IS the afterlife. Its just a series of tests and opporunities to gain reward for the afterlife. To do that well is to do this life justice. This life actually means nothing really.
I keep hearing about afterlife. Is it a simplified view of me retaining my memories, thoughts, emotions, etc after I die ? Or is it something deeper like my constituent atoms losing their structure and becoming a free part of the big whole, the universe again

Don't you think there is also a certain element of uman ego involved when we ponder the question of the universe and our role in that?
most definitely, yes. Which is what makes it difficult, but not impossible. And, there is no need to fight the ego. Feed it from time to time, but ignorance is bliss.

Personally, I don't see the "afterlife" as being separate from my life now. It's just another dimension. Sure, in that dimension, the wonder and scintillating beauty of our Universe is much more apparent, but you only need to look closer right now to see all that. And, inter-dimension travel is not impossible. It takes practice but we can do it as easily as some of our ancestors.
Whatever you are smoking, must be pretty good. :woot:

I keep hearing about afterlife. Is it a simplified view of me retaining my memories, thoughts, emotions, etc after I die ? Or is it something deeper like my constituent atoms losing their structure and becoming a free part of the big whole, the universe again
The second part is the more logical and realistic answer.