Changes for 2nd test?

Sachinism

Bhajji want for 189 in 48 for 2 wickets.would u call that a mistake too.even Murali went for 124 n wicketless in second innings' date='so that must have been a mistake by Lanka[/quote']
Oh well even bhajji had worse figures, same with Murali.
Yes, if a bowler proves to be useless then it was a mistake picking him. The difference between Bhajji/Murali and Mishra is that they have been proven performers and are the best spin options on their respective teams. However, I have yet to hear a real argument against why Mishra should be bowled on a flat deck INSTEAD of going with someone who can best use the new ball like Sreesanth and Yuvi/Sehwag can take up the remaining overs. Would you expect England/Australia to pick two spinners if we were playing them instead? NO! Because they don't have two quality full time spin bowlers. It's like somehow, when it comes to the Indian team, we're expected to automatically switch off our brains and mindlessly repeat the mantra: "Two spinners, Two spinners, Two spinners" even if that 2nd full time spinner is NO better than Yuvi/Sehwag on a completely flat deck. It's about giving yourself the best chance of taking 20 wickets and as the results show going with two full time spinners who are crap when the pitch is flat is giving Sri Lanka a free pass to get another 700 innings total. It's about time Indian fans, and the Indian selectors realize that after Kumble retired we don't have any quality spin bowlers that can take wickets when the pitch isn't turning. That's not opinion. That's FACT.
Yes, if a bowler proves to be useless then it was a mistake picking him. The difference between Bhajji/Murali and Mishra is that they have been proven performers and are the best spin options on their respective teams. However, I have yet to hear a real argument against why Mishra should be bowled on a flat deck INSTEAD of going with someone who can best use the new ball like Sreesanth and Yuvi/Sehwag can take up the remaining overs. Would you expect England/Australia to pick two spinners if we were playing them instead? NO! Because they don't have two quality full time spin bowlers. It's like somehow, when it comes to the Indian team, we're expected to automatically switch off our brains and mindlessly repeat the mantra: "Two spinners, Two spinners, Two spinners" even if that 2nd full time spinner is NO better than Yuvi/Sehwag on a completely flat deck.
lol u make it sound as if we r benching Deis Lillee or someone like that.our strength is spin.Mishra is young in international cricket n has had a decent start to his career.Wen u dont have great bowlers,u go by conditions n they dictated two spinners to be played.the pitch didnt deteriote this time but wen it does(n it mostly does in India) two spinners is always handy wat do u mean Mishra is not better than Yuvraj/Sehwag.he picked 5 on debut,remember?
lol u make it sound as if we r benching Deis Lillee or someone like that.our strength is spin.Mishra is young in international cricket n has had a decent start to his career.Wen u dont have great bowlers,u go by conditions n they dictated two spinners to be played.the pitch didnt deteriote this time but wen it does(n it mostly does in India) two spinners is always handy wat do u mean Mishra is not better than Yuvraj/Sehwag.he picked 5 on debut,remember?
We're not going to get anywhere unless you actually read my posts. When did I ever say Mishra is not better than Yuvi/Sehwag?
I have yet to hear a real argument against why Mishra should be bowled on a flat deck INSTEAD of going with someone who can best use the new ball like Sreesanth and Yuvi/Sehwag can take up the remaining overs.
So again, I'll repeat: India don't have the kind of spinners that can take wickets on a flat deck that isn't turning a whole lot or quickly enough. That's fact, not opinion, unless you think Bhajji/Mishra are like Warne or Murali in his prime. And yes, the facts proved it again. The only real threatening bowlers in this match were the fast bowlers, mostly with the new ball. I'm trying to think beyond the traditional, tired thinking of just going with two spinners for the sake of it because India no longer have that kind of talent. We were spoiled with Kumble for years because he had that ability. So either we change the pitches and try to come up with better bowling options or we keep getting results like this where we have to bat out test matches to save them.
We're not going to get anywhere unless you actually read my posts. When did I ever say Mishra is not better than Yuvi/Sehwag? So again, I'll repeat: India don't have the kind of spinners that can take wickets on a flat deck that isn't turning a whole lot or quickly enough. That's fact, not opinion, unless you think Bhajji/Mishra are like Warne or Murali in his prime. And yes, the facts proved it again. The only real threatening bowlers in this match were the fast bowlers, mostly with the new ball. I'm trying to think beyond the traditional, tired thinking of just going with two spinners for the sake of it because India no longer have that kind of talent. We were spoiled with Kumble for years because he had that ability. So either we change the pitches and try to come up with better bowling options or we keep getting results like this were we have to bat out test matches to save them.
the pitch is expected to turn on 4th n 5th day,thats wen spinners come into play,just bcoz the pitch was flat on day 1 doesnt mean it'll always stay that way. n Mishra did take 5 in Mohali n that was flat track too.wat spinners need is bounce n that wasnt there. we have 2 bowlers to take advantage of the new ball.we dont need 3rd.atleast spinners can bowl long spells n put pressure on batsman.pacers wont even do that
the pitch is expected to turn on 4th n 5th day,thats wen spinners come into play,just bcoz the pitch was flat on day 1 doesnt mean it'll always stay that way. n Mishra did take 5 in Mohali n that was flat track too.wat spinners need is bounce n that wasnt there. we have 2 bowlers to take advantage of the new ball.we dont need 3rd.atleast spinners can bowl long spells n put pressure on batsman.pacers wont even do that
Wow, are you serious? What match are you talking about? Right from Australia's first innings (2nd/3rd day) when Mishra/Bhajji bowled there was: 1. Clear rough from footmarks and cracks generated big turn. 2. Variable bounce, some deliveries bounced up high. 3. And good turn apart from the rough. Not just that, it was the fast bowlers who dominated that series. So yeah, either you're just making things up now about Mohali or have confused how it happened. And by the way you just ruined your own argument. You just said spinners need bounce which wasn't there in this match. I agree. So what the hell is the point in picking two full time spinners then? You don't need a genius to tell beforehand if there's going to be much bounce. Most good players can examine the pitch before hand and look at the recent results on it to see if there's going to be bounce good for spin.
Wow, are you serious? What match are you talking about? Right from Australia's first innings (2nd/3rd day) when Mishra/Bhajji bowled there was: 1. Clear rough from footmarks and cracks generated big turn. 2. Variable bounce, some deliveries bounced up high. 3. And good turn apart from the rough. Not just that, it was the fast bowlers who dominated that series. So yeah, either you're just making things up now about Mohali or have confused how it happened.
by flat i didnt mean as flat as this,but track good for batting.which rough r u talking about?this was that pitch on day 5,not day 2 or 3 95193.jpg where is the 'clear' rough?
And by the way you just ruined your own argument. You just said spinners need bounce which wasn't there in this match. I agree. So what the hell is the point in picking two full time spinners then? You don't need a genius to tell beforehand if there's going to be much bounce. Most good players can examine the pitch before hand and look at the recent results on it to see if there's going to be bounce good for spin.
bcoz off the rough the pitch can do anythng?as the pitch was expected to deteriorate,the spinners were picked n hope of pitch deteriorating if we three quality seamers then i would agree with picking them but we dont,so we have to go with 2 spinners.if they both happen to bowl badly,its bad luck
Wow, are you serious? What match are you talking about? Right from Australia's first innings (2nd/3rd day) when Mishra/Bhajji bowled there was: 1. Clear rough from footmarks and cracks generated big turn. 2. Variable bounce, some deliveries bounced up high. 3. And good turn apart from the rough.
:laugh::laugh: You are making the Mohali pitch sound like some minefield. Can someone please post the highlights from the match to show Fontaine the reality?
I already explained this in an earlier post.
So you want to drop Mishra because he had terrible returns on this wicket when the other spinners had : Harbhajan - 2/189 Herath - 3/176(One tailender) Murali - 3/221(Two tailenders) Not to mention the fact that Mishra has outbowled Harbhajan in matches they have played together.
by flat i didnt mean as flat as this,but track good for batting.which rough r u talking about?this was that pitch on day 5,not day 2 or 3 95193.jpg where is the 'clear' rough?
From the 1st innings in cricinfo: 28.2 Harbhajan Singh to Clarke, no run, big turn, viscious bounce, that really kicks from outside off and strikes him on the body as he tries to shoulder arms 38.1 Mishra to Hussey, no run, vicious turn from the rough, Hussey goes back and just manages to keep it out 40.4 Mishra to Clarke, no run, now he dishes out the googly and that really turns in from the rough, well left by Clarke 61.4 Harbhajan Singh to Watson, 1 run, bog turn from a length outside off, Watson gets on the back foot and turns it square on the leg side 65.3 Harbhajan Singh to Watson, no run, tossed up, just outside off, extra bounce and Watson is hit on the glove but down to the ground, great delivery from Harbhajan
So you want to drop Mishra because he had terrible returns on this wicket when the other spinners had : Harbhajan - 2/189 Herath - 3/176(One tailender) Murali - 3/221(Two tailenders) Not to mention the fact that Mishra has outbowled Harbhajan in matches they have played together.
I've never said I want to drop Mishra because he had terrible returns. If you don't read my posts and just jump to already made up conclusions, then there's no point in discussing this.
I've never said I want to drop Mishra because he had terrible returns. If you don't read my posts and just jump to already made up conclusions, then there's no point in discussing this.
I read your posts - your premise is that you want to drop Mishra because on pattas he is as good or bad as Yuvraj/Sehwag and you would rather have a third seamer : 1. How do you know we will have a similar patta at Kanpur? Or even more basic, how do you accurately predict that the pitch is going to remain a patta before the toss? The consensus before the toss at Ahmedabad and even going into the third day was that the pitch would start to break up. 2. Why would you not drop Harbhajan even if you were assured that the pitch is going to be a patta? Mishra has outbowled Harbhajan when they have played together and it's common sense that a wrist spinner is more likely to get you wickets on a patta than a finger spinner of similar ability.
From the 1st innings in cricinfo: 28.2 Harbhajan Singh to Clarke, no run, big turn, viscious bounce, that really kicks from outside off and strikes him on the body as he tries to shoulder arms 38.1 Mishra to Hussey, no run, vicious turn from the rough, Hussey goes back and just manages to keep it out 40.4 Mishra to Clarke, no run, now he dishes out the googly and that really turns in from the rough, well left by Clarke 61.4 Harbhajan Singh to Watson, 1 run, bog turn from a length outside off, Watson gets on the back foot and turns it square on the leg side 65.3 Harbhajan Singh to Watson, no run, tossed up, just outside off, extra bounce and Watson is hit on the glove but down to the ground, great delivery from Harbhajan
some from this test(1st innings cricinfo commentary) 59.2 Mishra to DPMD Jayawardene, 1 run, this one shoots up off the rough and has everyone surprised, the ball balloons off the top of the bat and clears slip 121.2 Mishra to HAPW Jayawardene, no run, big big turn! Mishra pitches outside leg and spins the ball across the face of Prasanna's front-foot defence 46.1 Harbhajan Singh to DPMD Jayawardene, 1 run, sharp turn and bounce, spins in from leg stump and takes the inside edge as he looks to nudge it away but the ball is safely wide of short leg 58.2 Harbhajan Singh to Samaraweera, no run, now Samaraweera tries to improvise by giving room to cut but the extra bounce catches him by surprise 64.4 Harbhajan Singh to Samaraweera, no run, the sharp turn from the rough catches him by surprise, he manages to get his bat on the ball