Chrome OS

Sachinism

As it is mentioned lightweight I might try it but surely not use it regularly. If it would support windows applications then I might try it but not otherwise. I dont use linux for the same reasons as most windows applications do not work in linux.
Exactly. Same here. I will get it, but just to check it out. But Google is smart. I think all windows apps will work on it.

Exactly. Same here. I will get it, but just to check it out. But Google is smart. I think all windows apps will work on it.
I also feel the same. Google does not play small games at any time. They know that no OS can march ahead of the existing ones without supporting Windows applications and softwares. And they also said it would an extension of the Chrome browser or something. So, they might play smart and somehow get all the Windows applications and softwares to run on Chrome OS too. If that is ever the case, I would not be surprised to see the M$ empire dying down soon while G$ empire rising even more. It seems Sergey and Larry are now eyeing the world's richest spot soon. They already made monopoly over the net and defeated Microsoft in the same manner in which M$ made monopoly over the OS market a few decades ago. But the difference is that Google is giving out everything for free with paid advertising while Microsoft put a price on everything they had launched. But Google is spreading quicker than Microsoft because ultimately everybody loves free things if they carry all features of paid products. Hope that Google gets the Windows applications, softwares etc. working on their Chrome OS and then it might not be long before Sergey and Larry overtakes Bill Gates and reaches the no.1 rank in the world's richest list (this year each of them were tied 26 I suppose) :eyedance::eyedance:

it is not possible to make windows application to run on another OS. :nervous::nervous: .NET applications can only run on windows, even native windows application can only work if windows native API is supported by chrome but legally I dont think it is possible. Moreover chrome will be open source so I dont think they support windows application.

it is not possible to make windows application to run on another OS. :nervous::nervous: .NET applications can only run on windows' date=' even native windows application can only work if windows native API is supported by chrome but legally I dont think it is possible. Moreover chrome will be open source so I dont think they support windows application.[/quote'] If it does not support Windows applications and software then it will be a fail or small players like the other OS Frankly speaking most non-techie person I have met think that Windows is the operating system of every computer. They hardly know about Mac, Linux etc . Windows has simply made everyone highly dependent on it especially the non-techie people.

^^ but remember , windows has market share because of its usability but chrome provides a better usability, better GUI( which is what Google is known for) , people will gradually migrate towards an open source OS. chrome OS is specifically targeted for notebooks , so they can push chrome through laptop vendors. Currently laptop vendors don't have any option other than windows , if they start pushing chrome OS and if chrome gets some market share, future applications are naturally supported for chrome.

Chrome cannot make any impact in markets like India where internet connectivity is still pretty poor in most places. Chrome is going to be totally a internet driven OS, and NO applications will be stored in your computer. All the data will be in the 'cloud' too. And the netbooks will only have USB type memory.

Linux > OS X. Hell OpenBSD > OS X.
Linux and the BSDs (I've used FreeBSD and OpenBSD) are much better than OSX. OSX is a toy operating system. For those of you who are interested you can try Chrome OS out in a virtual machine. I use Virtualbox for my VM needs and I may give Chrome OS a spin out of sheer curiosity. Anyway 'cloud computing' is a joke at best, at worst it's a trap as pointed out by Richard Stallman. All cloud computing is, is the mainframe of the 60s and 70s rebranded. I hope it never takes off.

Chrome cannot make any impact in markets like India where internet connectivity is still pretty poor in most places. Chrome is going to be totally a internet driven OS' date=' and NO applications will be stored in your computer. All the data will be in the 'cloud' too. And the netbooks will only have USB type memory.[/quote'] yup I saw it in the news channel today that Chrome OS would have remote hard disk space which would be actually in google's servers .. most of their applications would also be remote ones.. so this means it means the laptops they would be pushing would be minimal as most things would be done on the internet ... but that would also reduce the cost of laptops significantly and hence, these low cost laptops might make a significant impact on markets where internet connectivity is good... but yes it would not affect much countries like India where internet especially high speed internet is not accessible to all .. but there is a big chance of those laptops selling like hotcakes in the American countries, European countries and East Asian countries where internet connectivity is very high

Chrome cannot make any impact in markets like India where internet connectivity is still pretty poor in most places. Chrome is going to be totally a internet driven OS' date=' and NO applications will be stored in your computer. All the data will be in the 'cloud' too. And the netbooks will only have USB type memory.[/quote'] That does not sound very interesting to be honest. I dont want all my data online....where the F they are and I certainly don't want my computer to be dead if net is not working or not available. I think they will provide an offline option as they do with Google docs.

I tried the thing out in Virtualbox.. Really, it's just the Google chrome browser running as an OS. You got to login using your google login id and password though. Early days now. And how does the question of running Windows apps even arise here? It's like a browser, so only net-based apps. Frankly, I think most of it is uber-hyped.

I don't know on what basis are people calling cloud computing junk - in the future all cities are probably going to have wifi connectivity. All you'll need is a light netbook to connect to the internet and access all your data. Google has already made the entire Mountainview wifi and am sure they have plans to expand on this.

I don't know on what basis are people calling cloud computing junk - in the future all cities are probably going to have wifi connectivity. All you'll need is a light netbook to connect to the internet and access all your data. Google has already made the entire Mountainview wifi and am sure they have plans to expand on this.
Most people are saying about developing and underdeveloped nations.. it will be fine for US, UK, South Korea, Japan etc. but yes in countries like India it cannot make much impact as high internet speed is not accessible to all... wifi to bahut door ki baat hai.. but cheap laptops would have sold the highest in India because in India cheaper and reliable things have good market