Sreesanth's comeback story inspires Irfan Pathan

Feed

Irfan regrets bowling first change Irfan regrets bowling first change Irfan regrets bowling first change Cricinfo staff December 22, 2009 Indian fast bowler Irfan Pathan has blamed his lack of success at the international level on not getting the new ball, which he said compromised his natural ability to swing. He said bowling first change meant he never produced the swing which he could have generated with the new ball. "I'm not complaining that I should be given the new ball, but yes, if you are bowling first change, you are not going to get that much swing," Irfan said. "Your wicket tally is going to reduce." Irfan, who last played for India in the 2009 World Twenty20, against West indies at Lord's in June, believed even in seamer-friendly pitches in England and South Africa, it was never easy for a first-change bowler to pick up wickets. "In terms of swing, I don't think natural talent will die," Pathan said. "Wherever you go, even places like England and South Africa, where the bowlers get help, even bowling there first change with white ball, especially with the Powerplays on, he [the bowler] is not going to get that many wickets. His economy rate is going to increase along with his wicket-taking average. Same happened with me." However, he asserted that he was in good rhythm and primed for a comeback, given his impressive performances with Baroda in the Ranji Trophy Super League. He picked up 22 wickets in five matches at 18.54, as Baroda narrowly missed out on a quarter-final berth from Group B. When asked about his chances of a comeback into the Indian squad, Irfan said he had done his best and now it was upto the selectors to decide. "There was a phase when I came back after injury and struggled with the ball. But that phase is gone now."

Let him increase his pace. Why is he not saying about why he dropped his pace from 140s to 120s within a few years.. let him answer the speed question first .. does he think of succeeding as a trundler at the international level .. anyways Jadeja is performing well now (including his batting which I was concerned about a bit) .. dont have any place for Irfan now and Jadeja deserves a place for sure as of now

Let him increase his pace. Why is he not saying about why he dropped his pace from 140s to 120s within a few years.. let him answer the speed question first .. does he think of succeeding as a trundler at the international level .. anyways Jadeja is performing well now (including his batting which I was concerned about a bit) .. dont have any place for Irfan now and Jadeja deserves a place for sure as of now
Sorry virurulez i am not with you in this. Irfan at his pomp is way better than Jadeja infact i will vouch that an above avg Irfan is still ahead of Jadeja. And the question of pace has been answered a lot by the posters here. How many times do we need to reiterate the fact that it is not pace that matters but it is swing. Yes pace is an added luxury but it is not a must to succeed in international cricket. Irfan lost his banana swing with which he was picking a lot of wickets and that really cost his place in the side. So if he is able to regain that prodigious swing he will be quite a threat to any top batsman in the world. I really had high hopes on this guy but he has fallen off quite rapidly from the lofty highs he had initially but that does not mean he wont come back. He is still a talent and he has a lot of determination, he has seen a lot in his first few years so i am sure it will help him in the long run. He is too good a talent to be out of our squad for a long time, so hopefully he will be back soon.
Sorry virurulez i am not with you in this. Irfan at his pomp is way better than Jadeja infact i will vouch that an above avg Irfan is still ahead of Jadeja. And the question of pace has been answered a lot by the posters here. How many times do we need to reiterate the fact that it is not pace that matters but it is swing. Yes pace is an added luxury but it is not a must to succeed in international cricket. Irfan lost his banana swing with which he was picking a lot of wickets and that really cost his place in the side. So if he is able to regain that prodigious swing he will be quite a threat to any top batsman in the world. I really had high hopes on this guy but he has fallen off quite rapidly from the lofty highs he had initially but that does not mean he wont come back. He is still a talent and he has a lot of determination' date=' he has seen a lot in his first few years so i am sure it will help him in the long run. He is too good a talent to be out of our squad for a long time, so hopefully he will be back soon.[/quote'] but the amount of improvement Jadeja is showing in recent times is really noteworthy.. his bowling is improving match after match and his batting is improving even more.. I was concerned about his batting but right now after his last few innings I would say he is a good no.7 .. Irfan is not bad either but Jadeja has to be given a lot more chances before being replaced .. Jadeja has been bowling better than Bhajji in many matches .. Irfan can be used as the no.7 only in pitches abroad where the pitch assists swing .. but one problem is that being a senior player it will be difficult for Dhoni to keep Irfan out of the playing XI in a lot of matches if he is in the final 15 or 16 .. Jadeja, Kohli or any newbie does not create any such selection problem for Dhoni
but the amount of improvement Jadeja is showing in recent times is really noteworthy.. his bowling is improving match after match and his batting is improving even more.. I was concerned about his batting but right now after his last few innings I would say he is a good no.7 .. Irfan is not bad either but Jadeja has to be given a lot more chances before being replaced .. Jadeja has been bowling better than Bhajji in many matches .. Irfan can be used as the no.7 only in pitches abroad where the pitch assists swing .. but one problem is that being a senior player it will be difficult for Dhoni to keep Irfan out of the playing XI in a lot of matches if he is in the final 15 or 16 .. Jadeja' date=' Kohli or any newbie does not create any such selection problem for Dhoni[/quote'] Agree with Virurulez on this. Bowling at 120 kph in a pitch which doesn't offer swing is invitation to trouble. Jadeja has improved recently and out bowled Bhajji in few matches, so he should be given some more chances to prove his mettle.
Agree with u on the speed mater!!