Sreesanth's comeback story inspires Irfan Pathan

Feed

Out-of-favour seamer Irfan Pathan finds inspiration in S Sreesanth's spectacular return to international cricket and believes he too can claw his way back to the Indian team with some solid performances in domestic cricket. More... Out-of-favour seamer Irfan Pathan finds inspiration in S Sreesanth's spectacular return to international cricket and believes he too can claw his way back to the Indian team with some solid performances in domestic cricket. Back in action for the ongoing Ranji Trophy, Irfan said he would leave no stone unturned in his efforts to impress the selectors and stage a comeback like Sreesanth did. "Sreesanth has made an excellent comeback. He was doing well in domestic matches earlier and after returning to the India team he put up a performance, which is quite inspirational. I want to make a comeback like him," Irfan said. "I met him before the Ranji match, I'm impressed with his body language also. This kind of comeback strengthens the belief that you can also do it in the same manner by improving your performance," said the left-arm seamer. Back from a 19-month hiatus, Sreesanth's five-wicket haul was instrumental in India's 144-run victory in the second Test against Sri Lanka. Irfan said every domestic match has become of immense importance for him and it would take a string of good performances to make a comeback. "Every cricketer has to improve to cement his place in the national team. I'm trying to give my best in every domestic match and hope it will get the attention of the selectors," said Irfan, who was recently demoted from Grade B to Grade C in the BCCI's central contracts. Irfan played his last Test match against South Africa in Ahmedabad last year, while his last ODI appearance was against Sri Lanka, when India toured the island nation earlier this year. Irfan said he is free of niggles and in good nick with the bat. "I'm totally fit now and bowling long spells. I've also cracked a half-century recently. It would be better had I been in the India team in this series. But it's nice to see India claiming its 100th Test victory," he said. Irfan, who has 100 wickets from 29 Tests, also feels that his team's (Baroda) next Ranji Trophy Super League match against Group B leader Karnataka is going to be a tough encounter. "It is going to be a very important match for us. They are the group leaders and playing well, but we are also ready to take them on at our home ground," Irfan said.

I have heard of heavy-ballers in cricket. Their balls might show low bowling speeds. But it would still hit the bat harder. Irfan's is just the opposite. His wrist position, seam position all get messed up and in the end batsmen get enoromous time to play him on the backfoot or frontfoot once the ball stops swinging. Irfan has to learn how to hurry batsman and keep the batsman on their backfoot. No doubt his presence will be invaluable in our line up.

I have heard of heavy-ballers in cricket. Their balls might show low bowling speeds. But it would still hit the bat harder. Irfan's is just the opposite. His wrist position' date=' seam position all get messed up and in the end batsmen get enoromous time to play him on the backfoot or frontfoot once the ball stops swinging. Irfan has to learn how to hurry batsman and keep the batsman on their backfoot. No doubt his presence will be invaluable in our line up.[/quote'] Yeah Irfan has a lot of work to do, there is no point just making statements (or his brother making statements for him), actually go out there, make the improvements in your game then talk. Difference between Sree and Irfan is that no can question Sree's ability at the Test level. Irfan has the odd game against poyzzz where he did well but otherwise his test record against the better teams is awful
I have heard of heavy-ballers in cricket. Their balls might show low bowling speeds. But it would still hit the bat harder. Irfan's is just the opposite. His wrist position' date=' seam position all get messed up and in the end batsmen get enoromous time to play him on the backfoot or frontfoot once the ball stops swinging. Irfan has to learn how to hurry batsman and keep the batsman on their backfoot. No doubt his presence will be invaluable in our line up.[/quote'] That's true for all genuine swing bowlers as they tend to float the ball up rather than hit the deck, so the speed drop is more off the pitch for them than someone like Zaheer or McGrath who might not bowl at express speeds but are difficult to play off the pitch. There is nothing inherently wrong with that - even Kapil and Botham were similar in that respect. The problem with Pathan is he has completely lost the swing. If he is getting swing and is being hit around for a few runs, nothing wrong with that. The fact that he does not take the new ball playing for India anymore hasn't helped of course.

this is how we spoil talents in our country ... irfan deserves to be in the side right now .. no one doubts his abilities but the BCCI ass holes do it .. we should treat irfan has an all rounder . why are they expecting him to be a spear head .. if he contributes with bat and ball in the lower order .. we are going to win more matches than lose .. even ppl here seem ignorant just like the BCCI .. :headshake:

this is how we spoil talents in our country ... irfan deserves to be in the side right now .. no one doubts his abilities but the BCCI ass holes do it .. we should treat irfan has an all rounder . why are they expecting him to be a spear head .. if he contributes with bat and ball in the lower order .. we are going to win more matches than lose .. even ppl here seem ignorant just like the BCCI .. :headshake:
He averages close to 50 against top teams. He is basically not a half decent bowler with that record to be considered as an all rounder. I agree. He is a decent batsman. But only in both departments when someone contributes consistently someone can be considered as an all rounder. since 2000 INdian fast bowlers. He has a poor record that is only rivalled by Agarkar & Nehra Against top teams (excl Bang & Zimb) http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?bowling_pacespin=1;class=1;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=140;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=wickets;spanmax1=31+Dec+2009;spanmin1=01+Jan+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;template=results;type=bowling Sree has the best average and strike rate by an INdian fast bowler for this decade.
He averages close to 50 against top teams. He is basically not a half decent bowler with that record to be considered as an all rounder. I agree. He is a decent batsman. But only in both departments when someone contributes consistently someone can be considered as an all rounder. since 2000 INdian fast bowlers. He has a poor record that is only rivalled by Agarkar & Nehra Against top teams (excl Bang & Zimb) http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?bowling_pacespin=1;class=1;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=140;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=6;opposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=wickets;spanmax1=31+Dec+2009;spanmin1=01+Jan+2000;spanval1=span;team=6;template=results;type=bowling Sree has the best average and strike rate by an INdian fast bowler for this decade.
so u thnk he is not a fit for the ODIs .. u r talking like he will go for 80 runs in every match .. a bowler can pick wickets more by using his brains rather than having swing and bowl garbage .. irfan has the brains to pick wickets .. and batting u dont even have to doubt .. he has to be in lower middle order for us in ODIs ..
so u thnk he is not a fit for the ODIs .. u r talking like he will go for 80 runs in every match .. a bowler can pick wickets more by using his brains rather than having swing and bowl garbage .. irfan has the brains to pick wickets .. and batting u dont even have to doubt .. he has to be in lower middle order for us in ODIs ..
I am talking about Tests. In one dayers i have no problem. I always root for this guy. He provides balance to our side. That is why i am frustrated that his bowling hasn't evolved beyond a point.
I am talking about Tests. In one dayers i have no problem. I always root for this guy. He provides balance to our side. That is why i am frustrated that his bowling hasn't evolved beyond a point.
i am talking abt ODIs .. tests i agree he does not fit in the side ..

Irfan has to increase his speed by at least 10 kmph now to be even somewhat effective. At 120ish speed he will not get into the national team for sure. Anyways I dont want Irfan anywhere near the Indian team right now. Zak, Sree and Nehra seems to be a great combination with decent pace too and these three should be played in ODIs too. If any of these three are given rest in any ODI match, then somebody like Tyagi should be given chance. Irfan can also get a chance in the future but he has prove himself at the domestic level first and has to increase his speed.

That bad huh . Dont care for avge. But economy is pretty bad. Should be somewhere in the range of 4.75.
Well with higher economy rate, average goes up obviously. I mean if you go for 60 runs in 10 overs and pick up one wicket, average is 60, go for 30 runs in 10 overs, average is 30. Fact is, guy's stats have been rubbish in ODIs last two years.

Man we definitely need Irfan back in the ODI side as he adds another dimension to our batting line up. He cannot do anything much more worse than his brother and Jadeja. Only was Irfan will get confidence is when the captain starts trusting him with the new ball. Zak can use the old ball equally effectively as the new ball so he will have to take a step backwards and let Irfan take up the role of getting India breakthroughs upfront. Sree and Irfan need to open up our bowling attack with Zak coming in after 10/12 over mark. Our ideal ODI XI: Veer SRT GG UV Raina MSD Irfan Bhajji Jadeja/PK Zak Sree Carrying this line up not only gives us a depth in batting but varied bowling options, of course depending on the conditions.

Well with higher economy rate, average goes up obviously. I mean if you go for 60 runs in 10 overs and pick up one wicket, average is 60, go for 30 runs in 10 overs, average is 30. Fact is, guy's stats have been rubbish in ODIs last two years.
He has done nothng..to be back in the side as a bowler!! His speed dropped in 2006..since den...it has been 3 yrs!! Do any of u see any chnge in his bowling?? NO!! His progress has been ZERO for almost 4 years!!
Irfan has to increase his speed by at least 10 kmph now to be even somewhat effective. At 120ish speed he will not get into the national team for sure. Anyways I dont want Irfan anywhere near the Indian team right now. Zak, Sree and Nehra seems to be a great combination with decent pace too and these three should be played in ODIs too. If any of these three are given rest in any ODI match, then somebody like Tyagi should be given chance. Irfan can also get a chance in the future but he has prove himself at the domestic level first and has to increase his speed.
I wouldn't prefer Sree for ODIs. Sree is a wicket taking bowler meant for tests .He bowls one or two loose deliveries in an over which is OK in tests but not OK for ODI's. ZK, PK and nehra with tyagi and Ishant as backup is good combination for ODIs.
oh yeah u r obsessed with comedian nehra .. :haha: these jokers will not take us anywhere . crap attitudes