BCCI killing Test cricket: Oz media

Feed

For me' date= there is no greater feeling in sport than watching India play a Test match. The team I support playing the best form of the game - what can be better? Scumbag Lalit Modi and the BCCI ******s can organize a million and one IPL games and they will still not measure up to even one good Test match. Of course, there are plenty of idiots in India who prefer watching this trash and the BCCI being such a despicably money obsessed organization (with not the slightest interest in the development of the game) will not hesitate to play the IPL all year round soon enough. The BCCI is indeed killing Test cricket, for once the Aussie media is not wrong.
That I fully agree with. I don't think anything is better than an India-Australia test match.
If the Australians took over IPL today' date=' they would not make a single change to it. But the fact is that they could not do it and BCCI could. Most of this talk of save test cricket from IPL is pure hypocrisy from these guys.[/quote'] Can you offer even an element of fact or logical reasoning to support this ridiculous and highly ignorant claim? Your anti-Australian-media diatribes and sentiments are getting in the way of clear logic and sense. Australia have dealt with situations of big corporate leagues (remember Packer, by any chance?), accepted Twenty20 a while before the BCCI did without turning it into a cashcow and attempting to sacrifice all other cricket (tests and grassroots domestics) in an attempt to milk it as much as possible. Australia for a long time have been stressing the primacy of test cricket and pushing for long test series more than anyone else (bar England). They've had the Ashes and Frank Worrell trophy as significant parts of their calendars for a long time, now added the Border-Gavaskar Trophy as a major rivalry series (and one of the FEW 3+ match series we get to play) and the pinnacle of their season still remains the big holiday test matches on Dec 26th and Jan 2nd, rather than the great IPL final with its fireworks, dancers and corporate buffoons. BCCI on the other hand have ignored the test future tours calendar for a while (when was the last time we hosted Bangladesh, or why have New Zealand toured about once in the past decade?) only picking and choosing series when convenient, and otherwise sacrificing test series like this to try and make more room for the IPL (not to mention putting increasing pressure on foreign players in the league to commit at even the expense of their own domestic teams). Try and explain the hypocrisy there, without any of your speculative nonsense about how market forces will do this, or how any other board in the BCCI's position would have done that.
IPL is not something that has been created and forced. IPL is a natural progression of a in-demand game in a large arable market. If Modi had not done it, someone else would have. In fact, someone else had started it in the form of ICL, Modi did a better job and emerged the winner. If it was not Modi, it would have been Subhash Chandra. If not him, it would have been someone else. And please note that if we were as weak as we were in the 70s, that someone else would have been a westerner who would have made money in the Indian market. And when something like IPL happens, its governed more by the market forces than by an individual.
And as an economist, I feel obliged to call you out on this, as the IPL is hardly the result of free market forces and proof that you clearly do not know what you are talking about. If free market forces actually existed, you would have both the ICL and the IPL existing, not to mention other possible corporate leagues that may have been created in a competitive marketplace. How do you call it a 'natural progression' in the marketplace when one entity is created, immediately affected by trade embargoes on human capital that prevent any development, and rather than any free market forces existing, a single force (BCCI effectively) determines all regulations and periods for intervention in the market to benefit itself. (A monopoly with exclusive use of force is more like it. FWIW, if you actually did know what you were talking about from an economic standpoint, you'd be familiar with plenty of literature - read Niall Ferguson, Weingast and Landes sometime - you'd know that the authority in the marketplace having monopolistic and regulatory power is always going to lead to situations with plenty of deadweight loss, and limited long-term growth.)
Again, IPL is a natural phenomenon. It's a by product of India's emergence as the biggest market in the world. It will happen, it will grow and then it will shoot up big and then it will settle down to it's own space. Does not matter how bad it looks right now, it's one of the stepping stones for Indian economy. We are thinking too much in short term and that's what is making us feel so bad. It's not so bad in the long run.
im a complete noob in economics and finance.. so can u pls tell me how this IPL is one of the stepping stones of indian economy?

Come to think of it, an overdose might just be the killer for the IPL. 12 teams, 90 odd matches over 2 months, I cant imagine many people being hyped up to watch this drivel especially knowing the standard of cricket isn't all that great (the top 2 teams were outplayed at home by relatively no name players). I mean, who would actually want to watch Luke Pomersbach or Asnodkar beating up someone like Avishankar Salvi for 2 months? Especially if its hyped up as heart pumping stuff? Then again, I don't know all that much about our public's appetite so who knows. Another thing is that in a few years there'll be a new set of player auctions so the sides could look completely different. Now who will identify with CSK team without dhoni or Delhi team without Gambhir in it? The public might as well realize that these are just corporate entities and nothing more. A possible idea is that they could have it split up into various 1-2 week parts to keep it going throughout the year without problems to find "windows" to fit the matches in but wth, this is the BCCI. All that we can hope for is that the IPL is a passing fad like the atkins diet or happyslappers which dies due to a complete overkill. Pity that it had to come when we're on the top or thereabouts in the more important two formats.

Not sure how true this is, but it does have a quote from Majola that the tour program might be restructured : http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_team-india-may-play-more-tests-after-all_1321667

Even the MS Dhonis can breathe easy. India may get to play a few more Tests than expected, after all. For the record, the Indian Board officials are careful to cite the current FTP obligations which, approved in 2006, runs till May 2012 but according to highly-placed sources in the Board of Control for Cricket in India, moves are afoot to explore possibilities if a few Test matches can be squeezed in the existing Future Tours Programme (FTP). The BCCI seems to have taken note of the media reports -- national and international -- against its 'reticence' to play Test matches. Sources say negative press apart, the Board itself is keen to give its team the best possible chance to maintain the newly-acquired No.1 status in ICC Test rankings. The Board is trying to figure out the feasibility of tweaking the FTP. Everything is still at a planning stage and consent of other boards is also a necessity but recent history shows that few boards oppose a BCCI proposal. Barring a two-Test series in Bangladesh next month, India are not scheduled to play any five-day games till the November 2010 home series against New Zealand. However, the BCCI has spotted windows of opportunities in the two home ODI series -- against South Africa in February-March and Australia in October when the sides are to play five and seven ODIs, respectively. The options being thought of are conversion of both series into a two-Test and three-ODI arrangement. Whether the BCCI officials have touched base with their counterparts in Cricket Australia could not be ascertained but Cricket South Africa has confirmed to DNA that it has received such a proposal from India. "We have received a proposal from the BCCI to play two Tests and three ODIs when we visit India. We are looking into it," said Gerald Majola, the CEO of the South African board. When contacted, BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said he is "aware" of the concerns but did not elaborate. India have a packed schedule till the 2011 World Cup. Following the current Sri Lanka series, they are off to Bangladesh to play a tri-series besides the two Tests followed by a five-match ODI series against South Africa and also the IPL in March-April. Thereafter, the team is off to the West Indies for the World T20, followed by a likely tri-series in Zimbabwe and Champions League T20 in September. India then host Australia and New Zealand before going to South Africa in December for three Tests and five ODIs.
WTF are we doing playing 7 ODIs against Australia again next year :wall:

I really hope we get rid of some of the meaningless masala ODIs and get some tests in. A simple fact is that no one remember ODI series except the really seminal ones + world cup. Whereas I am one of several people who could practically recite every single Indian test series result for the last decade. There is a place for all three formats, to my my mind a balance of 12-14 tests, 25-30 ODIs and 10-12 20/20s would constitute a decent calendar on a yearly basis with some wiggle for allowances. I hardly watch 20/20 cricket and I certainly dont remember any of it, goes for most ODIs, tests on the other hand ... most on this board savor and remember. Many of my memories growing up are intrinsically tied to Indian test performances!!

All that we can hope for is that the IPL is a passing fad like the atkins diet or happyslappers which dies due to a complete overkill. Pity that it had to come when we're on the top or thereabouts in the more important two formats.
Thats not really good enough because our best and brightest stars will fade by the time the fad fades. This is the best team thats come out of India, we as fans really want them to play 20-30 tests in 3-4 years and cement that position.
I would rather watch a dull domestic game where players are actually trying, rather than a bunch of international stars who get paid but show minimum effort in a silly, fake charade. Anyone who actually watches the IPL and believes that international players, especially bowlers are trying their absolute best is just delusional. Pretty much like watching WWF wrestling.
Actually the fact that players ARE pretty darn committed is what makes it exciting for me to watch IPL. Just watch some of the fielding efforts by Hussey and Murali et al.
I would rather watch a dull domestic game where players are actually trying, rather than a bunch of international stars who get paid but show minimum effort in a silly, fake charade. Anyone who actually watches the IPL and believes that international players, especially bowlers are trying their absolute best is just delusional. Pretty much like watching WWF wrestling.
First question : Did you watch IPL? To simply put a claim that its all fake is uncalled for. For example, Brett Lee was steaming in at full pace in the last season of IPL. He was fully pumped up. Surely, that cannot be fake. While money is involved in this tournament, but if you have played some competitive sports, then you'd agree that its very hard for a player not be competitive. Its almost natural and plus they've got their reputations to protect. Its understandable to not like IPL as it may be pushing aside Test Cricket in your opinion. But to simply state its fake is beyond comprehension.

T20 is 'fake' because there is no contest. Test cricket is non stop for 5 days and in the end the best team will prevail, whereas T20 is hit and giggle and as far as a real sport is an absolute joke. I can proudly say I have only ever watched 1 IPL match in my life.

India have a packed schedule till the 2011 World Cup. Following the current Sri Lanka series, they are off to Bangladesh to play a tri-series besides the two Tests followed by a five-match ODI series against South Africa and also the IPL in March-April. Thereafter, the team is off to the West Indies for the World T20, followed by a likely tri-series in Zimbabwe and Champions League T20 in September. India then host Australia and New Zealand before going to South Africa in December for three Tests and five ODIs.
Not sure how true this is, but it does have a quote from Majola that the tour program might be restructured : http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_team-india-may-play-more-tests-after-all_1321667 WTF are we doing playing 7 ODIs against Australia again next year :wall:
I'm already sick of these shorter formats. I might watch one or two ODI this year, but I'll certainly not watch even a single ball of the IPL next year since it has led to the scrapping of a high profile test series! Isn't BCCI driving the hard core cricket fans away from cricket in a bid to attract a few casual fans who might not give a minute to cricket the moment they feel saturated with the monotony, unlike the hardcore ones, who'll watch cricket leaving 10 other important jobs they have in hand?
' date=' why we cant play more test n ext year. IPL is in April, followed by T20WC.. [/quote'] Because the players have to be kept fresh for a possible second IPL of the year in September-October and the IPL Champions League in November. Besides, aren't they always complaining that they are playing too much cricket ?
why cant IPL be played every 2 years . .atleast maintains interest well .. it need not be an annual gala event ..
:haha:Naive post. Reason why it wont be biennial. MONEY:winky: Money makes the world go round. Its a fact. But tests are back in vogue, after India No 1. Maybe it makes financial sense to play more tests, which is good for the cricket fan of intellect
T20 is 'fake' because there is no contest. Test cricket is non stop for 5 days and in the end the best team will prevail' date=' whereas T20 is hit and giggle and as far as a real sport is an absolute joke. I can proudly say I have only ever watched 1 IPL match in my life.[/quote'] Got an asbestos suit handy for the flames heading your way from the usual gang of IPL-cheerleaders?
IPL is not something that has been created and forced. IPL is a natural progression of a in-demand game in a large arable market. If Modi had not done it, someone else would have. In fact, someone else had started it in the form of ICL, Modi did a better job and emerged the winner. If it was not Modi, it would have been Subhash Chandra. If not him, it would have been someone else. And please note that if we were as weak as we were in the 70s, that someone else would have been a westerner who would have made money in the Indian market. And when something like IPL happens, its governed more by the market forces than by an individual. IPL is not here to groom and grow cricket, it's a profit making business unit and that's what they are doing. And I can tell you that every board in the world would love to own the IPL the way it is. If the Australians took over IPL today, they would not make a single change to it. But the fact is that they could not do it and BCCI could. Most of this talk of save test cricket from IPL is pure hypocrisy from these guys.
You could replace the word "IPL" from your past and put in Heroin and still make the same valid case for Market forces etc etc. I'm not talking about the financial demands etc for IPL. I'm talking about specifically, why it's afforded the protection from BCCI more than any other domestic league in the world. And it has NOTHING to do with the market but the money that is being made from it.