Ranking Graph of 3 top Indian fast bowlers of all time

vvvslaxman

wi6j5j.png2eme99x.png2my9swp.png Kapil managed to be in top 10 for a very long time. Srinath little better. Zaheer is rightnow 10th ranked bowler in the world. His highest in his career is so far 8th. Srinath's highest was also 8th. Kapil got upto 2nd. Irfan Pathan reached 9th once. Manoj prabakhar never got into top 10 rankings. Outside these fast bowlers i am not sure if any other fast bowlers in Indian history broke into top 10 bowlers list. Not sure if we can make anything out of it. But it is a disappointment that only 4 Indian fast bowlers have got into top 10 over the last 40 years. 3 of them could only get upto 8th rank.
Ghavri and Amar Singh also made the top 10 - Ghavri's highest was 7.
wow. Ghavri 7. Never bothered to look up for him given the list of fast bowlers played in his era. Actually Ghavri was kind of a multi talented bowler. He would usually start bowling spin after shine is gone. Infact in the famous Australia test in 1981 at MCG he picked a couple with his spin deliveries.
wow. Ghavri 7. Never bothered to look up for him given the list of fast bowlers played in his era. Actually Ghavri was kind of a multi talented bowler. He would usually start bowling spin after shine is gone. Infact in the famous Australia test in 1981 at MCG he picked a couple with his spin deliveries.
Ghavri was a pretty underrated bowler. He formed a very good partnership with Kapil. There is an article on the old ICF which might be worth a read if you are interested. Very well written : http://www.cricketnetwork.co.uk/main/s119/st66517.htm
Ghavri was a pretty underrated bowler. He formed a very good partnership with Kapil. There is an article on the old ICF which might be worth a read if you are interested. Very well written : http://www.cricketnetwork.co.uk/main/s119/st66517.htm
Good piece. You can add one more K to that pair. Kirmani. :winky:. Awesome bowing pair complemented by Kiri who had his best days behind the wickets when this pair operated.

I was checking some more names, so for the top fast bowling wicket takers following are their highest ranks : 1. Kapil - 2 2. Srinath - 8 3. Zaheer - 8 4. Ghavri - 7 5. Pathan - 9 6. Prabhakar - 12 7. Prasad - 21 8. Desai - 12 9. Madan Lal - 19 10. C Sharma - 18 I was expecting Prasad to be higher, but I guess there were too many good fast bowlers during his time which would also explain Srinath's number 8 spot. Also, was expecting better for Chetan Sharma after his monster series in England, but I guess that was too early in his career to really propel him very high.

Thats a v good article by gaurang BTW when you point to these rankings are they based on the bowlers averages compared to contemporaries?
They take into account a lot of factors - average, economy rate, strike rate, number of runs scored in the match by opposition, performance of other bowlers in the side etc.
I was checking some more names, so for the top fast bowling wicket takers following are their highest ranks : 1. Kapil - 2 2. Srinath - 8 3. Zaheer - 8 4. Ghavri - 7 5. Pathan - 9 6. Prabhakar - 12 7. Prasad - 21 8. Desai - 12 9. Madan Lal - 19 10. C Sharma - 18 I was expecting Prasad to be higher, but I guess there were too many good fast bowlers during his time which would also explain Srinath's number 8 spot. Also, was expecting better for Chetan Sharma after his monster series in England, but I guess that was too early in his career to really propel him very high.
Phadkar 12

We have to add a little factor "longevity". I dearly wish these Ishants, Sreesanths make a mark in international cricket and stay there long. I know it is hard because of overwhelming amount of ODIs and gradual increase of T20s in addition to circus like IPL. Out of the current lot if Sreesanth maintains his fitness he will sure break into top 10.

It's better to look at ratings rather than rankings.
We can do both. But the problem is we won't know what is good rating is. For batting typically above 900 means exceptional form over a period. Even Tendulkar hasn't crossed that mark. Sunny has crossed the mark though. Below 900.. it is little hazy.
We can do both. But the problem is we won't know what is good rating is. For batting typically above 900 means exceptional form over a period. Even Tendulkar hasn't crossed that mark. Sunny has crossed the mark though. Below 900.. it is little hazy.
Since you are comparing various Indian players, you dont need to know what is great, you are just trying to see where each of them lie. Nevertheless, it'd be good to study the graphs of McGrath, Ambrose, Marshall, Walsh, Waqar, Akram, Merv Hughes, McDermott, Willis, Kapil, Srinath, etc to understand the variety. From what I remember, Marshall hovered around 900 for 8 straight years. Mcgrath and Ambrose were around 900 for 6 or so years. Waqar had a steep decline after injury. Same with Imran. Walsh was around 750. Hughes and McDermott had 3-4 good years around 750.
Since you are comparing various Indian players' date=' you dont need to know what is great, you are just trying to see where each of them lie. Nevertheless, it'd be good to study the graphs of McGrath, Ambrose, Marshall, Walsh, Waqar, Akram, Merv Hughes, McDermott, Willis, Kapil, Srinath, etc to understand the variety. [b']From what I remember, Marshall hovered around 900 for 8 straight years. Mcgrath and Ambrose were around 900 for 6 or so years. Waqar had a steep decline after injury. Same with Imran. Walsh was around 750. Hughes and McDermott had 3-4 good years around 750.
Yes.. good indication of how their career started, progressed and ended.