Australia vs Pakistan in Australia, 2009-10

iHammad

good work by punter' date='kets see how the paki openers handle bollinger and MJ.[/quote'] Don't forget Siddle on his home ground. :dance: Bold declaration by Punter. :two_thumbs_up: We've seen a few bold declarations in the Shield this year, which has really livened it up.

He has been amazing as captain today! I think the weather there which apparently hot and humid played into that decision. :punter: thinks that bowling them out twice in a row is going to take a toll on the bowlers. First time that I've seen such a declaration for this reason.

Mark Taylor wants fellow Aussies to "behave themselves" Mark Taylor believes Ricky Ponting has to do more to stop Australia's on-field exchanges escalating into significant incidents and has called for all players to follow the spirit of cricket. In the final two Tests against West Indies the hosts had four players reported, with Brad Haddin, Mitchell Johnson and Shane Watson fined for their indiscretions. The spate of incidents has led to the "ugly Aussies" tag being dusted off and Taylor, a former Test leader, said it was important for a captain to know when the players were close to crossing the line. "I just think the Australians could be a bit more pro-active in trying to nip these things in the bud, rather than letting things escalate," Taylor said in the Sunday Herald Sun. "To be fair to Ricky, it's not always easy. "It can be hard to control a situation if you're not out in the middle and two of your batsmen are in the heat of battle. But as a captain, you have to make an honest appraisal of whether your players are close to crossing the line." Taylor, a Cricket Australia director, said as captain it was important to "think a bit from the opposition's point of view - not just your own". "We saw a couple of incidents in Perth and they weren't great," Taylor said. "The Watson appeal I just thought was a bad look for the game. It was embarrassing for all concerned. "Sometimes there can be a decision where someone feels robbed and it can escalate pretty quickly, but that's where, as a cricketer, you need to keep your head and accept there are ways in which you can't react. It's incumbent upon all sides to play within the spirit of cricket." Watson was fined for his excessive celebration after dismissing Chris Gayle in Perth while Haddin and Johnson also received small penalties for their involvement in a lengthy exchange with Sulieman Benn, who was suspended for two ODIs. Doug Bollinger escaped with a reprimand in the second Test in Adelaide. From - http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/441326.html The key part here is the one where he says the important thing for the captain was- "think from the opposition's point of view, and not just yours :two_thumbs_up: An Aussie with a difference, is Mark! :)

Ponting declares change in policy http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvpak09/content/current/story/441346.html Australia v Pakistan, 1st Test, Melbourne, 2nd day Ponting declares change in policy Brydon Coverdale at the MCG December 27, 2009 On the second morning at the MCG, Cricket Australia launched a "Know When to Declare" campaign aimed at responsible drinking and understanding when you've had enough. The message was flashed up on the big screen throughout the day and the wording was appropriate for Ricky Ponting, who is starting to recognise the limitations of his team and realises that pushing on too long can result in a nasty hangover. Ponting closed Australia's effort at 5 for 454, which was the smallest total he had ever declared on in the first innings of a Test and the lowest for any Australian team in nearly 30 years, excluding rain-affected matches. A flat, unhelpful surface labelled as Faisalabad-like by Mohammad Asif certainly affected Ponting's decision to declare earlier than most onlookers expected. But it has also started to dawn on the captain that he can no longer rely on his bowlers to skittle a side in a matter of hours, as he could during the Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath years. Australia's young attack has potential but for now needs time to bowl teams out, although they started well with four wickets before stumps on the second day. Since the retirement of Warne and McGrath, Australia have played 29 Tests and they've dismissed teams in fewer than 70 overs on nine occasions. In the same number of matches leading up to the stars' farewell, Australia achieved that 19 times. During the West Indies series, Ponting said that he sometimes expects too much of his bowlers and gets grumpy when they fail to deliver the wickets that he demands. That contributed to his decision here, as did his dislike of enforcing the follow-on. When he did it at the Gabba last month his strike bowler Ben Hilfenhaus was ruled out for the rest of the summer and Australia's long list of fast-bowling injuries will discourage him from doing it again in the near future. His bold, attacking move was commended by many at the MCG, including the Pakistan coach Intikhab Alam. "I thought it was a very positive declaration," Intikhab said. "I think it was very wise that he declared. He needed more time. Those days have gone of getting other people to follow-on. You need to give some rest to your bowlers also. I think it was a very positive, very exciting declaration." Ponting has had plenty of learning opportunities. In Cardiff, he let Australia's innings drag on for 181 overs. It gave Australia just over a day to dismiss England and win the match, but they couldn't do it. Two summers ago, only a last-minute gamble on Michael Clarke rescued Australia from a similar result against India at the SCG. Australia's prime minister Kevin Rudd was at the MCG to help launch the Know When to Declare campaign and during a stint in the commentary box he told Warne that it was his national duty to make a comeback. Ponting's responsibility is to have realistic expectations of a Warne-less attack still learning about Test cricket. Brydon Coverdale is a staff writer at Cricinfo RSS Feeds: Brydon Coverdale

I seriously think Ponting has underestimated Pakistan's batting strength. That fellow Umar Akmal, like his big brother, is completely nerveless, and I can see a repeat of the 180 run partnership a la Duminy & Steyn that took the match out of Australia's grasp at the same venue.