IPL 2010 - News, Views and Opinion thread.

Dirty_South

I really hope the IPL goes to 94 matches. That way even the feeble minded masses that call it cricket will get bored of it and the league will collapse from lack of revenue compared to the increased salary they will have to pay over the hill players for twice the amount of matches. One can only hope.
Completely agree - I really hope they increase the number of matches to 94 and also expand the Champions' League to a month instead of two weeks. I want to see how long the Indian public can tolerate garbage being dished out so frequently. But, I may be wrong here also. We are talking about a public where Emraan Hashmi and Himesh Reshamayya are stars.

Completely agree - I really hope they increase the number of matches to 94 and also expand the Champions' League to a month instead of two weeks. I want to see how long the Indian public can tolerate garbage being dished out so frequently. But' date= I may be wrong here also. We are talking about a public where Emraan Hashmi and Himesh Reshamayya are stars.
Exactly. People seem to be buying up all sorts of crap these days. Give them more of it and then may accept it with 2 hands :((

Completely agree - I really hope they increase the number of matches to 94 and also expand the Champions' League to a month instead of two weeks. I want to see how long the Indian public can tolerate garbage being dished out so frequently. But' date=' I may be wrong here also. We are talking about a public where Emraan Hashmi and Himesh Reshamayya are stars.[/quote'] I don't know who or what a Hashmi or Himesh is, but I'm troubled by the fact that so many other people are agreeing with me today. Hmm. . . I must be having an off day! :winky:

Completely agree - I really hope they increase the number of matches to 94 and also expand the Champions' League to a month instead of two weeks. I want to see how long the Indian public can tolerate garbage being dished out so frequently. But' date= I may be wrong here also. We are talking about a public where Emraan Hashmi and Himesh Reshamayya are stars.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Completely agree - I really hope they increase the number of matches to 94 and also expand the Champions' League to a month instead of two weeks. I want to see how long the Indian public can tolerate garbage being dished out so frequently. But' date=' I may be wrong here also. We are talking about a public where Emraan Hashmi and Himesh Reshamayya are stars.[/quote'] They can take it. :afraid:

Completely agree - I really hope they increase the number of matches to 94 and also expand the Champions' League to a month instead of two weeks. I want to see how long the Indian public can tolerate garbage being dished out so frequently. But' date=' I may be wrong here also. [b']We are talking about a public where Emraan Hashmi and Himesh Reshamayya are stars.
8rBm7VdIeq4

I really hope the IPL goes to 94 matches. That way even the feeble minded masses that call it cricket will get bored of it and the league will collapse from lack of revenue compared to the increased salary they will have to pay over the hill players for twice the amount of matches. One can only hope.
Completely agree - I really hope they increase the number of matches to 94 and also expand the Champions' League to a month instead of two weeks. I want to see how long the Indian public can tolerate garbage being dished out so frequently. But' date=' I may be wrong here also. We are talking about a public where Emraan Hashmi and Himesh Reshamayya are stars.[/quote'] The audience would still like it I think. IPL is trying to push for an American league like structure i.e NBA, NHL, MLB, etc. In these leagues, each team plays atleast 100 games and loyal fans churn out in thousands to watch these games. Whether it is healthy for cricket is still another question, but the audience would be ready for it. At the beginning of IPL, there was the question about how fans will cheer for overseas international/state players in their local teams but there was a positive response from the fans. Anything longer than the current number of matches would surely disrupt the normal Cricketing Schedules if it isnt doing so already.

Besides that NBA, NHL, NFL players rarely participate or get a chance to represent their country. They strictly play in a particular time frame of period and have a good 4-5 months off to recharge their body. Cricket cannot go that way. I don't give a **** to how many teams Modi adds in IPL, he definitely has to cut down the number of matches as I feel even 54 games are bloody drag on.

" four fielding substitutes instead of the lone 12th man " is a good thing. That will prevent the players from burn out but they should make it mandatory for players to field minimum number of overs before they can ask for substitute. With regards to more matches, that is not a good sign. I can almost feel 4 to 5 retirements coming up soon and in particular from faster bowlers. Bondy will stand a chance to be selected for one of the IPL teams. Good on him, he milked the Twenty20 the best.

" four fielding substitutes instead of the lone 12th man " is a good thing. That will prevent the players from burn out but they should make it mandatory for players to field minimum number of overs before they can ask for substitute. With regards to more matches, that is not a good sign. I can almost feel 4 to 5 retirements coming up soon and in particular from faster bowlers. Bondy will stand a chance to be selected for one of the IPL teams. Good on him, he milked the Twenty20 the best.
You think the sub rule is a good thing ? I think of it otherwise. It would mean that the teams can pick *****y fielders in their XI who are either good bat or bowler and can have the luxury of replacing them with their best fielders on the bench. It can be only good that it'll help reduce the burn out for players.

From players' perspective, I think all the players should be auctioned. If the team really needs the players, they would go all the way to get the players they need, meaning more money in their pockets. And that obviously is not good from a franchise perspective. Also, from the domestic players' perspective, there is a good chance that the likes of Kohlis, Nayars, Ojhas, etc. would make more money. Interesting to see what the middle path is that Mr. Shah is talking about. Maybe each franchise would be given an option of retaining x number of players and auction the rest. I guess thats gonna be the way to go.

Edit : Beaten by the very 1st post. Same idea but more crudely put below. Nope, the players shouldnt be auctioned off. But Say if Team 2 wants Player A from Team 1, then it should submit a bid to Team 1 for that player i.e for eg. player A was paid 1 million $ before and team 2 wants to pay 1.2 million $. Now Team 1 can keep the player if it matches that bid (1.2 million $) and the player wants to stay. If team 1 cannot increase the price,then the player gets to decide on which team he wants to play. This system will give the chance for the new teams to get good players and in demand players will get the best price. If a rule like a percentage of the price increase should go to the original rule is bought in, then CSK can let go of someone like Nitini (who hardly gets a game) or Tyagi (bought for 30,000$ but now is in the squad and will fetch much more) and use that money to buy players they can use.

IPL franchises have gone nuts hiring foreign players and can play only 4. Most foreign players don't get more than a game or two during the entire season. I hope this entire fracking thing dies a dog's death.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::two_thumbs_up: