Aussies are so average now!

Pontings captaincy is not being exposed we won 5 out of 6 tests so that is a load of crap. MoYo's captaincy was exposed not Ponitngs. The only mistake Ponting made wasn choosing to bat first in the 2nd test, other then that his declarations, bowling changes and field placements have been good. Sure, our team is not as good as it once was and it may take a long time before we reach that level again, but we are far from a bad side. I'll continue to back Johnson, he can bolw badly all day but then come up with a ball no one else is capable of and get a breakthough. He has that x factor about him which makes him a weapon. A very good bowler. Wasn;t the leading wicket taker last year by chance.
Seriously, if Australia had not won their three tests against Pakistan, it would have been a grave indictment on their talent as well as their captain's tactical nous. As it is, they just passed. If Pakistan had held their nerves for two sessions in this whole series, they would have won 2-1! Do you think it is incidental that it is Ponting who holds almost all the records of conceding the highest totals in cricket? Ponting, to me, is an average captain who has flourished thanks to the stellar talent in the team and their monumental self belief. With personnel gone, the self belief has taken a beating. So much so that a series win against the beleaguered West Indies and against Pakistan who have not played too much Test cricket in the last 2 years is being hailed as a brilliant result and as proof of the Aussies still remaining at the top. Mitchell Johnson is a good bowler. Any bowler will be when he can consistently bowl at speeds above 140 kmph. But he is not what he is touted to be. That was my point. And if he is the spearhead of the Aussie attack, then people will know how to rate the attack. Right now, the attack comprises of honest triers, not true wicket taking bowlers. It is at its weakest ebb. If Australia were to tour India now, what do you believe will happen? ________ Web Shows
Seriously, if Australia had not won their three tests against Pakistan, it would have been a grave indictment on their talent as well as their captain's tactical nous. As it is, they just passed. If Pakistan had held their nerves for two sessions in this whole series, they would have won 2-1! Do you think it is incidental that it is Ponting who holds almost all the records of conceding the highest totals in cricket? Ponting, to me, is an average captain who has flourished thanks to the stellar talent in the team and their monumental self belief. With personnel gone, the self belief has taken a beating. So much so that a series win against the beleaguered West Indies and against Pakistan who have not played too much Test cricket in the last 2 years is being hailed as a brilliant result and as proof of the Aussies still remaining at the top. Mitchell Johnson is a good bowler. Any bowler will be when he can consistently bowl at speeds above 140 kmph. But he is not what he is touted to be. That was my point. And if he is the spearhead of the Aussie attack, then people will know how to rate the attack. Right now, the attack comprises of honest triers, not true wicket taking bowlers. It is at its weakest ebb. If Australia were to tour India now, what do you believe will happen?
Pakistan are not as bad as you all make them out to be. They have a good enough bowling line up to match any in the world just about in Asif, Aamer, Sami, Gul, Kaniera. They are not easy to face. Meanwhile, they have some talented batsmen but could probably do with a bit more strenght there whilst their fielding is absolutley terrible. They need to realise that fielding wins you matches and loses you matches as well. I would like to see India face them and see if you beat them so easily as all India seem to think they would. As for Windies they are getting better and better by the day. They have Gayle, Chanderpaul, Sarwan, some talented youngsters, Bravo and Benn. Again, not as easy as people make them out to be. Ponting is a good captain he has demonstrated that over the years, whether it was as part of a great side or not he has delivered trophies on the one day stage as well as the test arena and at a very consistent level. A great player and a good captain, he has proven this throughout his career, now he has won 5 out of 6 tests, against sides who I feel are competitive enough! That is a good return, hence why he should be happy. I do agree with you on the last paragraph for the most part. However, Watson is capable of swinging the ball, Johnson is capable of coming up with a cracking delivery, Bollinger at keeping the batsman on their toes along with Siddle and Hilfenhaus of swinging it also. As for Hauritz, lets not even go there. If Australia toured India I would expect us to be competitive but lose out, however if India toured Australia I would expect us to win. Therefore, I don't see much of a difference between the sides.
Since 2007 they have won two Tests out of 19. Maybe you should accept the facts instead of trying to justify your side's victory over such a pathetic team as being some major achievement.
There is still such thing as drawing a match. To win all 3 of them is still good. We'll see how "pathetic" they are in future series, I'm backing them to come back. They are not as bad as they have been in previous years. And no it's not a major achievement but I don't think wins against Pakistan should be considered as a regularatory, you still have to play good cricket and we did.
There is still such thing as drawing a match. To win all 3 of them is still good. We'll see how "pathetic" they are in future series' date=' I'm backing them to come back. They are not as bad as they have been in previous years. And no it's not a major achievement but I don't think wins against Pakistan should be considered as a regularatory, you still have to play good cricket and we did.[/quote'] I totally agree with you. We wouldn't have swept this Pak team and neither would have the saffies. All credit to the Aussies to sweep this test series even while rebuilding their own bowling.

Although Austalia have definitely fallen back to earth and are on equal footing with teams like SA, India, even England I do think they still have a very good competitive focus. Winning isn't just about having great players, it's also about being brave, and instinctive enough to know when to press your advantage and when to back off over five days. Australia still have a very good winning mentality here and that ALONE won them the 2nd test that MoYo cowardly lost because he had no such belief. Take for example Harmison. He's got the talent of a champion bowler but he's got the heart of a mouse. The new Aussi bowlers are not like that. Even average to decent bowlers like Siddle, Hauritz have a ton of confidence and attitude and that really helps and prevents bowlers from being mentally drained after playing so much cricket in a season. Indian fans should know. We've got our own Harmison in Munaf Patel. A guy who's got a lot of talent but at the first sign of a batsmen attacking him he folds like a house of cards.

Pakistan are not as bad as you all make them out to be. They have a good enough bowling line up to match any in the world just about in Asif, Aamer, Sami, Gul, Kaniera. They are not easy to face. Meanwhile, they have some talented batsmen but could probably do with a bit more strenght there whilst their fielding is absolutley terrible. They need to realise that fielding wins you matches and loses you matches as well. I would like to see India face them and see if you beat them so easily as all India seem to think they would. As for Windies they are getting better and better by the day. They have Gayle, Chanderpaul, Sarwan, some talented youngsters, Bravo and Benn. Again, not as easy as people make them out to be. Ponting is a good captain he has demonstrated that over the years, whether it was as part of a great side or not he has delivered trophies on the one day stage as well as the test arena and at a very consistent level. A great player and a good captain, he has proven this throughout his career, now he has won 5 out of 6 tests, against sides who I feel are competitive enough! That is a good return, hence why he should be happy. I do agree with you on the last paragraph for the most part. However, Watson is capable of swinging the ball, Johnson is capable of coming up with a cracking delivery, Bollinger at keeping the batsman on their toes along with Siddle and Hilfenhaus of swinging it also. As for Hauritz, lets not even go there. If Australia toured India I would expect us to be competitive but lose out, however if India toured Australia I would expect us to win. Therefore, I don't see much of a difference between the sides.
Bradman99 - I really enjoyed reading your post. I think that is the closest that passionate fans of rivalling countries could come to agreeing with each other and yet not come to blows:). Seriously I wish the guys on commentary like Ian Healy, Slater and that wannabe Australian Mark Nicholas learn something from people such as you. If you hear them, it is almost as if there is baked bread and then there is Aussie cricket and Aussie players. Nothing in between and nothing after that either! Lets agree to disagree on Ponting's captaincy. Without the team he had, he could never have aspired to even half the success that he achieved. But that is a what-if. Also I do believe that India touring Australia would be a very very close contest. And depending on the form of one or two Indian cricketers, India may very well come out on top. After all Australia was not able to outright win the series the last time India toured. And since then, the team has arguably weakened not strengthened, dont you think? ________ Sick From Prilosec

And no Aussies are not average. They will still win most of the their home and away games no matter who they play against. The best thing about them is they know how to put up good consistent performances and come back very strong when they go through rough period. Ofcourse they will lose some in the middle, but I think they will still dominate next decade due to their strong cricketing culture and some highly skillful, talented and committed players.

He's right about Pak too it wont be long before they are back as a genuinely good team. Heck if theyd held a few catches theyd have won a test in Australia Their attack is good and again, with better catching would have picked up a fair few wickets more. The batting side- openers are cranking into gear slowly, but they need at least one opener of quality. Once Younis comes back at no3 theyll be alot more solid

And no Aussies are not average. They will still win most of the their home and away games no matter who they play against. The best thing about them is they know how to put up good consistent performances and come back very strong when they go through rough period. Ofcourse they will lose some in the middle' date= but I think they will still dominate next decade due to their strong cricketing culture and some highly skillful, talented and committed players.
In their last 2 tours , they have won 1 game out of 9 and lost 4. :finger::finger: Surely you can keep talking out of your ass like your paki bros.
Bradman99 - I really enjoyed reading your post. I think that is the closest that passionate fans of rivalling countries could come to agreeing with each other and yet not come to blows:). Seriously I wish the guys on commentary like Ian Healy, Slater and that wannabe Australian Mark Nicholas learn something from people such as you. If you hear them, it is almost as if there is baked bread and then there is Aussie cricket and Aussie players. Nothing in between and nothing after that either! Lets agree to disagree on Ponting's captaincy. Without the team he had, he could never have aspired to even half the success that he achieved. But that is a what-if. Also I do believe that India touring Australia would be a very very close contest. And depending on the form of one or two Indian cricketers, India may very well come out on top. After all Australia was not able to outright win the series the last time India toured. And since then, the team has arguably weakened not strengthened, dont you think?
Thankyou, likewise. The reason I come on here is to exchange thoughts not to make it personal. I like the Aussie commentators as I can relate to their sense of humour but also because I'm Aussie. They are very bias to the Aussies at times, I can see why the rest of the world wouldn't like them haha. I don't know where we are at right now to be honest, I think we are still very competitive and would be a match for any side. I guess the only way to find out would be to play against one of the powerhouses India or SA. We have a series in NZ coming up, see how we go in that. I reckon we have strengthened as a side since the last time we played you, where we were testing players out. Siddle was making his debut, same with Krezja, we had White in there spraying the ball all over the place, Haddin hadn't made a name for himself yet.. Whereas now we have Watson who is such a key player to the side, Katich, Siddle is more experienced, we have Bollinger and Hilfy to choose from as well. But I think the main difference is that they are starting to get tests together as a team, before it was too inexperienced, now they are starting to build some chemistry. Time will tell though if we are good enough to be numero uno in the near future.
Some really sensible posts there Bradman99. I assume you are an Australian. Congrats on your Test victories this summer and very much looking forward to putting up good performances in ODI series. I really want my team to beat you guys in ODIs series and T20. :two_thumbs_up:
Yes I am, good luck with the one day series I think you will be better with Younis back but still need to improve your fielding!!