<<< Upclose with Rahul Dravid >>>

well you cant quite assume that based on their image.. ppl who appear to be very polite in front of camera have come across as arrogant while in front of fans.. and vice versa... Azhar used to shoo away autograph seekers like they are dogs.. even children.. ts very difficult to catch sachin's attention for an autograph or picture.. sourave' date=' for all his arrogance is very sweet when it comes to handling fans.. before going out to the nets, he'll tell the autograph seekers that he'll finish with the nets and then oblige them (he will show that his hands are inside gloves and hence cannot sign)... i dont want o generalize here. may be during my encounters they have behaved like this and may or may not behave the same way in other instances. after all they are also normal humans like all of us and would have their own mood swings as well...[/quote'] I have been to quite a few matches, tests and ODI's, at the Adelaide Oval and I can attest to this. Peter Siddel looks like a mug but is incredibly laid back. Doug Bollinger, Ben Hilfenhaus, Mitchell Johnson also come as people that are likeable, in a face to face interaction with fans at least. From the Indian side, VVS and Rahul Dravid. After that unbelievable partnership at the Adelaide Oval, we waited for them at their team bus. They took the time out to sign autographs, sign replica bats etc whilst others, like Parthiv Patel, Ganguly and Agarkar, just barged through. Yuvraj Singh comes across someone who is extremely arrogant, I have seen him quite a few times in and around Adelaide but never asked him for an autograph because from what I saw, those that did, were shooed away like flies when they went to say hello or wish him good luck for the match. Harbhajan Singh knows how to work the croud. During the '08 match, you could cut the tension with a knife. The amount of abuse he copped was absolutely mind boggling. Good thing security was tight that day. That day at the Adelaide Oval was absolutely unbelievable. You could not script a better fightback. Just by pure luck I decided to go that day - It was a 40 degree day, top order gone, huge deficit - but I decided to go anyway for I have never been to a test match before.
Harbhajan Singh knows how to work the croud. During the '08 match, you could cut the tension with a knife. The amount of abuse he copped was absolutely mind boggling. Good thing security was tight that day. That day at the Adelaide Oval was absolutely unbelievable. You could not script a better fightback. Just by pure luck I decided to go that day - It was a 40 degree day, top order gone, huge deficit - but I decided to go anyway for I have never been to a test match before.
Zidh is the keyword here :--D
I did not mean to say that you can simply walk up to a cricketer during Ranji matches.. My general being that, for the same set of players, different standards of security are applied at different moments, based on what match they're playing. Anyways, nice account dude! :two_thumbs_up:
Your angle is the importance of the person.. But in general, its the importance of the occassion that matters.. Even the players would not like to have a security blanket hovering around at all times... Dravid, because of his current stature / importance is given a low profile security cover.. whch I think is fair.. you cant expect to give high security for every players wherever they go.. May be the security situation could be different when Sachin plays for Mumbai in a Ranji game... or may be, it would be just marginally better... so the best bet to get closer to Sachin is catch him during a Ranji match.. Coming to the debate on whether its the individual or their role or the occasion that is important.. let me present this case.. RD when he is playing tests for India, is playing a bigger role. The occasion is big and there are many spectators expected at the venue and hence a high security cover... When the same man is playing a Ranji game, his importance is les, he is just another karnataka player, with few spectators expected to come to the venue.. hence the difference in security... Abdul Kalam when he was President of India, was given the highest possible security cover.. but now, I can walk upto him and talk to him without any hindrance when he is on our campus, where he is a visiting prof...
Yuvraj Singh comes across someone who is extremely arrogant' date=' I have seen him quite a few times in and around Adelaide but never asked him for an autograph because from what I saw, those that did, were shooed away like flies when they went to say hello or wish him good luck for the match. [/quote'] Maybe next time you should approach him. When I met him, he was at a fancy hotel, the staff there didn't really like us (fans) being there and tried to make us leave, Yuvi had a right go at them saying, "I'm a guest at this hotel, these guys are my friends, who've come to see me, whats your problem?" He made sure he spent some good time with us.
Maybe next time you should approach him. When I met him, he was at a fancy hotel, the staff there didn't really like us (fans) being there and tried to make us leave, Yuvi had a right go at them saying, "I'm a guest at this hotel, these guys are my friends, who've come to see me, whats your problem?" He made sure he spent some good time with us.
Reaaalllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !! :omg: Yuvi yuvi yuviiii bhai :blush:

I strongly feel that cricketers are more easy going with fans abroad than fans in their home country.. not just Indian cricketers, all nations included... At home, you can take it for granted that there is a huge support, wherever you go. But fans abroad make them feel they still have the support even in a foreign land and hence the spl treatment..