Discussing the 4th test between SA and Eng at Wanderers

Guest Hiten.

Seaming pitch expected at Wanderers

South Africa will bank on home advantage finally paying off against England with a pitch that will boost their chances of levelling the series in the final Test at the Wanderers. After failing to take the visitors' last wicket at Newlands, South Africa must win to avoid successive home series defeats, following last year's loss to Australia, and are looking for a few favours. The pitch at Cape Town became slower as the match went on making the new ball a crucial period of each innings. However, the expectation is that the surface at Johannesburg will offer something for the quicks throughout after above average rainfall around the highveld in the last few weeks. The man in charge of producing the 22 yards is Chris Scott and he knows what South Africa are looking for. "Obviously they have to win the Test, they don't want to lose the series. They are looking at a result wicket because they don't want to end with another draw," he told Cricinfo. The Test strip will be one of the surfaces that was used for the Champions Trophy in September, which provided considerable help for the quick bowlers. Scott expects similar conditions this week, but has ensured his main surfaces have been protected with no matches on them since the Champions Trophy. The Wanderers has staged a huge amount of cricket in the last 12 months, with Scott also having to produce surfaces for the IPL. His job has been made harder by a reduction in the number of pitches available down from six to four, which has meant a juggling act to get surfaces ready. "Last year, I lost two of my main pitches and they are out of commission for the whole season so everything has had to be squeezed on the others and it has been more of a challenge," he said. "But I've kept the Test pitch protected, there hasn't been any cricket on it since the Champions Trophy to allow them to recover. "They'll be pretty much like the Champions Trophy I would say," he added. "The pitches for the Champions Trophy were not accidental, I said before the tournament that the pitches would be more lively, but I had to have them that way because I needed to look after them because they were my Test and ODI surfaces. I had to nurture them because I only had the other two to fall back on." Despite having produced a mass of pitches for one-day and Twenty20 cricket in recent months, it is still the skill of providing a Test strip that gives Scott most satisfaction. "I've always maintained that a Test wicket should live up to its name in that it's a test between bat and ball, unlike one-day cricket where everything is so loaded towards the batsman that the bowlers almost have no chance," he said. "I actually enjoy doing a Test wicket because it allows you to create something that is going to have a balance and I love seeing Test cricket in that sense. The bowlers have got something to work with, there's a bit more grass on the pitch, and over five days - if it lasts that long - the pitch will deteriorate."
So, now that SA are 1-0 in 4 match test series despite getting two chances to actually take the lead and go into the final match, they are "banking on home advantage" to draw level with the English side. Yes, that's right they are going to prepare a seaming track (which suits their "style of play") to ensure they don't lose their bragging right of being one of the best team but also to a lowly English side (comparatively). Rewind back to Kanpur 2008. Remember RSA crying foul over the "state of the pitch". They could not fathom the fact that India too used "home advantage" to ensure we don't lose to RSA in a test series. I wonder what kind of statements Smith and Mickey would issue now :hmmm:. I have a gut feeling, English bowlers will actually outbowl SA pacemen only to expose them even more :eyedance:
I would like to think that they are indeed playing into England's hands. 2-0 would be excellent. All the whining thereafter by the Smith :whine: will make for great entertainment.
You guys don't learn, do you? Never underestimate England's ineptitude. They have not been able to sustain their performance through a series as far back as I can remember. An ICF dollar gets two that they get whipped.
You guys don't learn, do you? Never underestimate England's ineptitude. They have not been able to sustain their performance through a series as far back as I can remember. An ICF dollar gets two that they get whipped.
Fair point, Dhondy. But England's dip during this series was enough for SA to have already been on par. But SA weren't good (or lucky) enough to do that and besides, England have recently shown an uncharacteristic stomach for fight. I would still bet on England delivering a decent performance in the final test. Let's wait & watch.
Dhondy, but you are giving too much credit to the Saffers in their own backyard :giggle:. RSA only managed to win series against Bangbros and feeble WI side in the last year. For the first time I want Ingerland to rip apart the RSA ego and force Mickey mouse/Smitthers' pair into submission.

South Africa hit by de Wet injury South Africa fast bowler Friedel de Wet has been forced to withdraw from this week's fourth and final Test against England because of a back injury. More... Injured Friedel de Wet pulls out of South Africa squad De Wet made his Test debut in the first Test against England in December South Africa fast bowler Friedel de Wet has been withdrawn from Thursday's fourth and final Test against England because of a back injury. The 29-year-old suffered a recurrence of a back problem in last week's drawn Test against England in Cape Town. He is likely to be replaced by uncapped left-armer Wayne Parnell, 20, for the series finale which starts at the Wanderers in Johannesburg on Thursday. Parnell has played in nine one-dayers but has yet to make his Test debut. De Wet marked his Test debut by taking 4-55 in the first match of the series at Centurion, only to be left out for the second before being recalled in Cape Town. But South Africa coach Mickey Arthur revealed de Wet's injury was a long-term problem, saying: "Friedel won't be training with us this week. "I really feel for him, it happened in the fifth over of the first innings in Cape Town, but he came in and gave it his all with injections and a serious back injury for another 20-odd overs. It speaks volumes for him." Arthur described Parnell as a "huge talent" and added: "He has a real chance of playing because of his pace. We said we wanted three strike bowlers and Wayne could be one of them. "Although he's very young in terms of first-class cricket, he will mature and I'm very happy to have him on board." South Africa had already withdrawn Imran Tahir from their squad for the final Test amid fears he is not yet eligible to play. The former Pakistan A leg-spinner, who is married to a South African, was called up on Friday but the 30-year-old's permanent residence papers have not yet come through so he will have to sit out. "Cricket South Africa would rather be absolutely certain of his eligibility before playing him," said a spokesman. "We have to be 100% certain before putting him in a national squad." Tahir, who has also represented English county sides Hampshire, Middlesex and Yorkshire over recent years and will play for Warwickshire next summer, now hopes to make the squad for next month's tour to India. His absence in Johannesburg has eased the pressure on slow left-armer Paul Harris, whose 11 wickets in the series so far have cost 40 runs each. But South Africa are ready to field an all-seam attack if conditions seem to dictate that course of action. "If you're looking for a result like we are, then a grassy pitch is a gamble you possibly have to take. But I don't like going into a Test without a spinner," said Arthur. "I think it's vital, but if conditions are very different then we could look at it, it's possible that we could go in with an all-pace attack." South Africa squad: GC Smith (captain), HM Amla, MV Boucher (wkt), AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, PL Harris, JH Kallis, R McLaren, M Morkel, WD Parnell, AN Petersen, AG Prince, DW Steyn.

Nothing subtle about this pitch fixing attempt by South Africa either. Just look at Mickey Arthur's comments - aren't groundsmen supposed to be independent entities from the team :

South Africa have no choice but to go for broke in the final Test against England as they aim to level the series at the Wanderers, and their coach Mickey Arthur has admitted it's a time for gambling and aggression. It makes for a potent mix and promises a fascinating contest on a surface that the home side are determined to make sure will provide a result. Arthur has had conversations with Chris Scott, the Wanderers groundsman, and the teams are likely to be greeted with a heavily grassed pitch on Thursday morning. It's a move that could well backfire, but South Africa are taking the approach that they may as well lose 2-0 in an attempt to level the contest. It's an unfamiliar, but desperately needed, attitude from a normally conservative team. "We might gamble a little on the wicket, we'll just see what the weather brings," Arthur said. "It's a gamble you take. The England seamers have bowled very well, but if you are looking for a result it's a gamble you have to take down the line. Even though you look for a grassy wicket it won't be a major green mamba out there. It will allow the batters to get stuck in. "We have had a meeting, that's no secret, and we'll have a look how it pans out. I always say you can take grass off but you can't put it back on. We'll probably make our final shout on Wednesday in terms of what we need once we know the weather forecast. We've got to go for it, we don't have an option." However, it will take a huge effort for the South Africans to lift themselves after the gut-wrenching disappointment of pulling up one wicket short of victory at Newlands - the second time that last-man Graham Onions had defied them in the series. "Hats off to Onions, is he Man of the Series?" Arthur said with a wry smile. "He has thwarted us, and who would have thought England could have done it three times in eight Tests. It probably shows the resilience of this new England side under Andy Flower and Andrew Strauss." In a surprisingly open assessment, Arthur admitted the dressing room had been shattered by not completing victory at Cape Town and that the contrast with the joyous scenes in the England camp had hit home. "It almost felt as if England had won and we were deflated," he said. "You carry that edge into the next Test. It was the same in Cardiff [during the Ashes] as they put in a great performance at Lord's. I walked through to thank Andy Flower and happened to end up in the England dressing room as the players arrived. "The celebrations, rightly so, were as though they'd won. It was bit deflating to come back to our changing room - even though we'd had the better of the Test - and it felt as though we'd lost. I think we've got better and better as the series has gone on. I know the boys are smarting and will want to get a result." The first challenge, though, is to finalise a team that gives South Africa the best chance of winning the Test. They have a number of issues to confront, from the balance of the attack to the form of key members in the top order. Arthur confirmed that Friedel de Wet will be out of action for the foreseeable future with a serious back injury so Wayne Parnell is likely to make his debut, but he didn't rule out an all-seam attack which would also mean a debut for Ryan McLaren, at the expense of the under-pressure Paul Harris. However, changes to the top-order are unlikely despite Ashwell Prince's lean series while JP Duminy's offspin has given him an extra role in the team which could be an additional factor in persuading South Africa to leave out Harris. "I don't like going in without a spinner and I think Harry has done a tremendous job," Arthur said. "A spinner in Test cricket is vital, but if conditions offer it perhaps we could look at it." There is still a sense of disbelief among the home team that they enter this final Test trailing in the series and if South Africa don't rescue a share of the spoils it will leave a number of people nervous about their positions, not least Arthur himself. "There's always pressure," Arthur said. "In any Test there is pressure and I'd lying if I said we didn't feel it. We have to be able to handle that, it's nothing new to us, we've been here before. We've played very good cricket and I think good enough for the series to be 1-1. I won't say 2-1 because England have been very good too at times. Other than a day-and-a-half in Durban we have played very good cricket so hopefully we can pull out the stops here."
http://www.cricinfo.com/rsaveng09/content/current/story/443555.html
Arthur slams Kanpur facilities Mickey Arthur, the South African coach, has slammed the facilities provided to his team in Kanpur for the third Test against India that ended on Sunday, calling them "below par in everything" for an international game. Arthur, however, said that his team has not lodged any official complaint on the issue. "We are a major cricketing power, so we should get good venues and facilities," Arthur told Cricinfo. "But Kanpur, to our disappointment, was way below par in everything. It was a poor cricket wicket, though I can understand the reason behind it. But the practice facilities and the accommodation left a lot to be desired for an international venue." ....
This is what he had to say after Kanpur loss

Arthur admits: 'It's desperation time' South Africa have no choice but to go for broke in the final Test against England as they aim to level the series at the Wanderers, and their coach Mickey Arthur has admitted it's a time for gambling and aggression. It makes for a potent mix and promises a fascinating contest on a surface that the home side are determined to make sure will provide a result. Arthur has had conversations with Chris Scott, the Wanderers groundsman, and the teams are likely to be greeted with a heavily grassed pitch on Thursday morning. It's a move that could well backfire, but South Africa are taking the approach that they may as well lose 2-0 in an attempt to level the contest. It's an unfamiliar, but desperately needed, attitude from a normally conservative team. "We might gamble a little on the wicket, we'll just see what the weather brings," Arthur said. "It's a gamble you take. The England seamers have bowled very well, but if you are looking for a result it's a gamble you have to take down the line. Even though you look for a grassy wicket it won't be a major green mamba out there. It will allow the batters to get stuck in. "We have had a meeting, that's no secret, and we'll have a look how it pans out. I always say you can take grass off but you can't put it back on. We'll probably make our final shout on Wednesday in terms of what we need once we know the weather forecast. We've got to go for it, we don't have an option." However, it will take a huge effort for the South Africans to lift themselves after the gut-wrenching disappointment of pulling up one wicket short of victory at Newlands - the second time that last-man Graham Onions had defied them in the series. "Hats off to Onions, is he Man of the Series?" Arthur said with a wry smile. "He has thwarted us, and who would have thought England could have done it three times in eight Tests. It probably shows the resilience of this new England side under Andy Flower and Andrew Strauss." In a surprisingly open assessment, Arthur admitted the dressing room had been shattered by not completing victory at Cape Town and that the contrast with the joyous scenes in the England camp had hit home. "It almost felt as if England had won and we were deflated," he said. "You carry that edge into the next Test. It was the same in Cardiff [during the Ashes] as they put in a great performance at Lord's. I walked through to thank Andy Flower and happened to end up in the England dressing room as the players arrived. "The celebrations, rightly so, were as though they'd won. It was bit deflating to come back to our changing room - even though we'd had the better of the Test - and it felt as though we'd lost. I think we've got better and better as the series has gone on. I know the boys are smarting and will want to get a result." The first challenge, though, is to finalise a team that gives South Africa the best chance of winning the Test. They have a number of issues to confront, from the balance of the attack to the form of key members in the top order. Arthur confirmed that Friedel de Wet will be out of action for the foreseeable future with a serious back injury so Wayne Parnell is likely to make his debut, but he didn't rule out an all-seam attack which would also mean a debut for Ryan McLaren, at the expense of the under-pressure Paul Harris. However, changes to the top-order are unlikely despite Ashwell Prince's lean series while JP Duminy's offspin has given him an extra role in the team which could be an additional factor in persuading South Africa to leave out Harris. "I don't like going in without a spinner and I think Harry has done a tremendous job," Arthur said. "A spinner in Test cricket is vital, but if conditions offer it perhaps we could look at it." There is still a sense of disbelief among the home team that they enter this final Test trailing in the series and if South Africa don't rescue a share of the spoils it will leave a number of people nervous about their positions, not least Arthur himself. "There's always pressure," Arthur said. "In any Test there is pressure and I'd lying if I said we didn't feel it. We have to be able to handle that, it's nothing new to us, we've been here before. We've played very good cricket and I think good enough for the series to be 1-1. I won't say 2-1 because England have been very good too at times. Other than a day-and-a-half in Durban we have played very good cricket so hopefully we can pull out the stops here." http://www.cricinfo.com/rsaveng09/content/current/story/443555.html -------- maybe SA will mess up trying too hard and England will come through :two_thumbs_up:

Collingwood: I enjoy boring people Collingwood: I enjoy boring people Paul Collingwood will be changing his dogged Test match style for no-one after one of the most rewarding innings of his career. England hold a 1-0 lead and will be out to complete a series victory when the final Test gets under way against South Africa at The Wanderers on Thursday. Collingwood is one of the men they have principally to thank for that favourable position, after his painstaking 40 in the second innings of the third Test at Cape Town helped Ian Bell and others salvage a draw. For a batsman increasingly capable of dashing limited-overs innings, last week's display was still more notable. It was not, however, out of character - Collingwood was merely repeating what he has done before in strikingly similar circumstances at Cardiff and Centurion last year. "Those are the situations I do really, really enjoy," he said. "I like - not upsetting the opposition - but just going out there and doing things that are not easy to do. I know I must bore people at times. But it's a job I enjoy doing, and I hope there are more of those kind of innings in the future. "I am a fighter - always have been, since growing up with my brother, from my early teens. I'm sure I'll keep that kind of fighting spirit all the way through my career." Whether he does so in Bangladesh later this winter remains a moot point, dependent on Collingwood's presence on a tour he concedes some senior players may miss. He admits he probably would agree to stay at home if offered the choice, but nonetheless believes it would be unwise to allow a mass withdrawal. "We're going to just have to get over the fact that we've got a lot of cricket to play," he said. "The schedules are the way they are and as players we get on with it and do the best we can. "If the management want to make other decisions it's up to them. But from a players' point of view, we've had a great eight months and we want to continue. "You need a lot of the core players going to Bangladesh, because it's important to keep that team morale and to keep winning. But I'm sure a few will be rested." Collingwood almost missed the Newlands Test after dislocating a finger. Despite that and other niggles, he is fit to play this week, and is continuing to raise eyebrows in the nets by practising with a bat which is three times as thick as many, and weighs twice as much as most. "It's something the Durham second-team coach Jon Lewis came up with about six months ago," he said. "He asked the manufacturer to make him the biggest bat possible, just to see if someone could use it in Twenty20. "I tried it in the nets as a bit of a laugh. The weight of it is about four and a half to five pounds, and that makes you bring the bat down very straight and play the ball very late." It is an experiment which has suited Collingwood. "When you go back to your normal bat, your bat speed is exceptional, because you can't even feel a cricket bat in your hand," he said. "I've found it of benefit to me. It might not work for everybody - and Phil Neale, our manager, isn't very happy with the excess baggage."

South Africa seamer Wayne Parnell set for Test debut against England Seamer Wayne Parnell is likely to win his first Test cap as South Africa seek the victory that will squad the series against England in the fourth and final match starting on Thursday. More... South Africa seamer Wayne Parnell set for Test debut against England • Parnell to feature as South Africa look for series-leveling win • 20-year-old left-arm seamer would replace Friedel de Wet Seamer Wayne Parnell is likely to win his first Test cap as South Africa seek the victory that will squad the series against England in the fourth and final match starting on Thursday. The Proteas lost by an innings in Durban and were held to draws in Pretoria and Cape Town by a tenacious England side. Both drawn matches involved the tourists holding on with nine wickets down in their second innings. For the final Test, South Africa are likely to take the ambitious step of handing a Test debut to 20-year-old left-arm seamer Parnell, to replace the injured Friedel de Wet, who has been diagnosed with a back stress fracture. As a left-arm bowler, Parnell will add variety to the attack and make the most of the conditions at Johannesburg. The South Africa coach, Mickey Arthur, has admitted to having discussions with the Wanderers groundsman, Chris Scott, about providing a lively surface for the match, and Jacques Kallis expects a torrid time on the pitch as a batsman. "I've had a look at the wicket and it's not as green as some I've seen here, but it will do a bit no doubt, and you'll need some skill to get through," Kallis said. "Our guys are used to playing on pitches that bounce and go through probably a little more than the English guys, so hopefully that plays into our favour. Our wickets probably do the most in the world and our guys are well equipped for this challenge." Kallis acknowledged the home side would need to rely on more than a friendly pitch to overcome England and level the series 1-1. "England haven't given up. They have been in tough situations in two games where they have been totally out of it, but have still managed to get out of it," he said. "We were in England's situation in Durban and crumbled, so as much as we can say we've been unlucky we have been in the same situation and failed. We've only got ourselves to blame. "Obviously that is all in the past and we have to look forward and know that going into this Test there won't be any favours given our way. We've have to go out and win this and put all those feelings behind us. We know we have to move on." Teams South Africa (from): Graeme Smith (captain), Ashwell Prince, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, A. B. de Villiers, J. P. Duminy, Mark Boucher, Paul Harris, Dale Steyn, Wayne Parnell, Morne Morkel, Ryan McLaren, Alviro Peterson. England (probable): Andrew Strauss (captain), Alastair Cook, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Ian Bell, Matt Prior, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, Jimmy Anderson, Graham Onions.

No despondency in England camp No despondency in England camp England are disappointed but far from despairing after their poor 180 all out on the first day of the final Test at The Wanderers. From the moment captain Andrew Strauss was out to the first ball of the match, to an outstanding short-leg catch by Hashim Amla, the suspicion was it would not be the tourists' day. So it proved - despite a fifth-wicket stand of 76 between Paul Collingwood and Ian Bell – as Dale Steyn (five for 51) and Morne Morkel (three for 39) did the damage. "We're a little bit disappointed with 180," Collingwood admitted, after South Africa had reached stumps on 29 without loss. England need only a draw to take the series 1-0 but may still be pegged back to have to share the spoils with their hosts this winter. Collingwood defended Strauss' decision to bat first on a pitch which has all the predicted attributes of pace, bounce and seam movement - with swing thrown into the equation too. "I don't quite know yet what a par score is on that wicket," he said. "But it certainly has a lot in it, good carry and the ball seems to be swinging all the time - and it's certainly seaming a bit." England found themselves seven for two, and then 39 for four - and never properly recovered from their horrendous start. "There were some good balls out there that got batsmen out, some good catches - but also some guys who will be disappointed with their shots," added Collingwood. "But that's the kind of thing wickets like this bring around. It can be tough to play on them. "All of us have got to understand what our strengths are, what our scoring opportunities are on wickets like that - and be committed. Today, we weren't quite good enough." The first of two talking points came before the start of play - when England chose to drop Graham Onions in favour of his fellow pace bowler Ryan Sidebottom. It appeared a curious decision - and one which bemused, and pleased, opponents who claim Onions is a bowler they especially do not like facing. Collingwood explained: "He (Onions) has done a fantastic job, but you can also understand the need for fresh legs - with the amount of overs the three seamers have bowled over the three Test matches. "Ryan Sidebottom is a very accurate bowler, and we hope he'll be perfect for this pitch." Alastair Cook, fourth out for England, was lbw after a DRS appeal - even though Morkel was perilously close to overstepping. Collingwood reported England had asked to look at the video evidence but have no lingering qualms. "Probably the reaction at the time was the guys looking a little disappointed, but I don't think we're going to make an issue of it," he said. "The guys have looked at further footage, and it's not a major issue. "At the time, there was a still picture on the television of the foot looking as if it was over. But it's arguable whether there was a little bit behind (the line), so we're not making any complaints. "Get on with the game." Steyn, whose five-wicket haul means he has the full set against all South Africa's Test-playing opponents, reflected on a day which could hardly have gone better for him and his team. "We always knew it was going to nip around - and when we were put into bowl Graeme (Smith) came back and had a word with me and the rest of the bowlers and said 'It's your day, your turn to lead the side and put pressure on England - you've got a great opportunity to put a stamp on the game'. Steyn needed Amla's brilliance to see off Strauss with "a loosener". But the wicket of Bell, bowled by a perfect inswinger, was all his own work - with a little help from former England off-spinner Jeremy Snape, now part of South Africa's support staff "Jeremy said at lunch I should take the ball away, away - then hold one across the seam and see if it goes straight. He said 'you should never under-estimate the straight ball'. "So I said 'what about the inswinger?' - and he said 'if you can get it to go, fantastic' - so when I got the wicket I celebrated towards the dressing room." Steyn confirmed too that South Africa are delighted by the absence of Onions. "He would have been a handful on this wicket - he gets very tight into the stumps and could have been very dangerous," he said. "I'm not taking anything away from Ryan Sidebottom - he's also a very good bowler. But obviously Onions has troubled a lot of our batsmen throughout the series, and it's surprising to see he wasn't playing. It was a bit if a relief in a way."

Strauss hails improving England Strauss hails improving England Andrew Strauss is already plotting a surge up the Test rankings after England's series draw in South Africa. The announcements of England's squads to travel to Dubai and then to Bangladesh, first for Twenty20 and then one-day international and Test assignments, were due to be be made on Tuesday morning. However, Strauss is thought a likely absentee from the tour to Bangladesh. The principal issue surrounded the number of high-profile players rested and - should Strauss be among them – Alastair Cook’s probable elevation to Test captain. After England lost the final Test at The Wanderers by an innings and 74 runs to end up sharing their four-match series against South Africa 1-1, Strauss was at pains to ensure no confirmation leaked out early. "When it comes to Bangladesh, we have a press conference scheduled," he said. "It just feels to us that it is better to talk about this tour today and we'll talk about Bangladesh tomorrow. "It's only 24 hours' time. I'll be there." Strauss reflected with mixed feelings on England's disappointment at The Wanderers but their pride at holding a 1-0 lead over their heavyweight hosts before then. Asked how he rates England at present, his answer could be summarised as 'work in progress'. "We're not good enough at this stage," he said. "We've shown resilience and that we can be a hard side to beat - which is an important attribute to have. "But we're not clinical or consistent enough, and that's been a trait that's been there for some time. "We need to look at the reasons why. Are we reacting to match conditions well enough? Are our gameplans right? "We need to keep improving, we all know that." England showed great determination to twice hang on with nine wickets down, thanks largely to number 11 Graham Oniouns, and in between score a landslide victory in the second Test at Kingsmead.But The Wanderers was a step too far, and – Paul Collingwood (71) apart - they folded tamely to 169 all out, as fast bowlers Morne Morkel (four for 59) and Dale Steyn did the damage. Strauss, nonetheless, insists England have the potential to go much higher than the fifth place they currently occupy in the International Cricket Council's Test table. "There is a lot to be excited about for the future - guys coming in and improving, someone like Ian Bell coming back into the side and playing well. That is a big bonus," he said. "On this tour, only three of our batsmen had decent series. The other four didn't - and you're not going to win many series if that's the case. "I don't doubt the quality in our batting line-up - everyone has proved they're good players - but not enough of us were able to do it often enough on this tour." One man who fell into that category was Kevin Pietersen, on his return to his native country and after four months out injured. But Strauss is keeping faith in a mercurial talent. "There are always high expectations when he plays," he said of Pietersen. "He hasn't had his most productive of series but it is hard to come in after a long lay-off and play a side with quality bowling like South Africa on wickets that help them a bit. "I'm sure he'll be desperate to prove his class once again and there's no doubt about it that he'll come back."