ICC Under-19 World Cup 2010 in NZ : An eye on India

ICC Under-19 World Cup 2010 in NZ : An eye on India  

1. 1.

The BCCI's junior selection committee announced the Under-19 squad to tour New Zealand for the World Cup, from January 16-30, 2010. Rajasthan's Ashok Meenaria, who led the side to Australia this year, will captain the 15-man squad. Notable names in the squad are those of Saurav Netrawalkar and Sufiyan Shaikh, who were impressive during the BCCI Corporate Trophy. India, defending champions, kick off the tournament with a match against Afghanistan on January 15 in Lincoln. They will then play Hong Kong two days later in Christchurch, followed by their final game of the group stage against England on January 21. The top two teams in each group will progress to the quarter-finals. The squad will head to South Africa for a short series before the World Cup. India Under-19 squad: Ashok Maneria (capt), Mandeep Singh, Mayhank Agarwal, Akshath Reddy, Harpreet Singh, KL Rahul, Sufiyan Shaikh, Zahid Ali, Harshal Patel, Jaidev Unadkad, Sandeep Sharma, Saurav Netravalkar, Harmeet Singh, Manan Sharma, Gaurav Jathar.
:two_thumbs_up: Really happy with the team..as usual I think our batting will be more than a notch above the rest. Watchout for the guys in bold..they come with a reputation. Mayank and Mandeep were exceptional in the U-19 tour to Aus earlier this year. I think we could have one two special batsmen here..even by our lofty standards. I think Nethravalkar will do well at the U-19 level..looked good for a 17 year old..and has the experience of representing Delhi in Ranji Trophy. I have heard good things about the left arm spinner Harmeet Singh of Mumbai here in ICF. And I remember Manan Sharma dong well in that Aus tour as well..so we have the bowling as well.

I had read a very interesting article about KL Rahul recently. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- When Rahul Dravid, G R Viswanath, Dilip Vengsarkar and Yuvarj Singh talk highly of a young batsman, he ought to be taken note of. The word is that he is in the Dravid mould. Spends long hours at the nets and scores big hundreds. Intriguingly, his name is also Rahul. An ardent fan of Sunil Gavaskar, his father Lokesh named him Rahul, mistaking that his icon's son is also called Rahul. "I was a huge fan of Gavaskar. So when my son was born (18-4-1992), I wanted to name him after my icon's son, and also after Rahul Gandhi. For some reason, I thought Gavaskar's son name was Rahul, when it actually was Rohan," said Lokesh a former Bangalore University player. But it is not the name that has drawn attention. K L Rahul, short-listed in the 30 Indian probables for the under-19 championship in South Africa (January 2010), scored runs in tons even as an 11-year old. In 2004, he carved two back to back hundreds (200 and 262 not out) in the inter-zonal tournament conducted by the Karnataka State Cricket Association. He followed it up with scores of 91 and 71 to aggregate a whopping 650 runs in five innings. He amassed 450 runs, including three centuries and a 65, in the South Zone Inter-State under-13 tournament the same season. His consistent showing in the under-15 Vijay Hazare tournament earned him a call to the National Cricket Academy. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Rahul-Dravid-namesake-makes-waves/articleshow/5246453.cms --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hope this team does well like they did in the last edition and win the cup again. Go blue army.

Viru what you say we have chance to win this time around?
I dont follow under-19 cricket too much and hence dont know most of these players. I only knew Harmeet Singh from that list and that too after his performance in his Ranji debut for Mumbai. :P Somebody else might give a better idea.

On their last tour to Aus, our u-19 team won the ODI series 2-1 (won 2 matches by 7 wickets and 150 runs, and lost one match by 15 runs). The test series ended in a draw. SO the team is quite good having won away from home. Like always the competition would come from Pakistan u-19 team, who are being led by Azeem Ghumman (has played 2 seasons of first class cricket and averages nearly 50). They also have a 15 yr old Babar Azam in their team who is scoring lots of runs in an u-19 series being played in SL right now.Then there is Usman Quadir, Abdul Qadir's son and a leg spinner like his father.

On their last tour to Aus, our u-19 team won the ODI series 2-1 (won 2 matches by 7 wickets and 150 runs, and lost one match by 15 runs). The test series ended in a draw. SO the team is quite good having won away from home. Like always the competition would come from Pakistan u-19 team, who are being led by Azeem Ghumman (has played 2 seasons of first class cricket and averages nearly 50). They also have a 15 yr old Babar Azam in their team who is scoring lots of runs in an u-19 series being played in SL right now.Then there is Usman Quadir, Abdul Qadir's son and a leg spinner like his father.
Yes but note that they seem to be missing super fast teenage bowlers this time around..are relying heavily on spinners. Infact their opening bowler is an all rounder. I think we can expect tougher competition from SA..teams were evenly matched last time around. But the thing that I'm excited about is the fact that our batting seems to be a notch higher even by our previous standards.
Yes but note that they seem to be missing super fast teenage bowlers this time around..are relying heavily on spinners. Infact their opening bowler is an all rounder. I think we can expect tougher competition from SA..teams were evenly matched last time around. But the thing that I'm excited about is the fact that our batting seems to be a notch higher even by our previous standards.
that is what I have been saying from a long time.. I am not seeing the future of our fast bowling in good hands.. I have been saying about this and worried from a long time .. the fact is that we still have ok amount of fast bowlers at present but there seems to be lack of fast bowlers in the future ... there are not many good prospects in the future who can be said to be world class and our established fast bowlers are nearing 30s .. hope that BCCI takes not of this very soon.. Ravi Shastri was also saying about in yesterday on Neo Sports that we have to build a fast bowling backup for the future
who is Zahid Ali he wasnt o there oin OZ tour' date=' is he a pacer?[/quote'] No. He is a keeper-batsman I suppose. Wonder how good he is. Maybe Salil can tell us something. He follows Cooch Vihar trophy. Meenaria to skipper the U-19 squad in the youth world cup HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times New Delhi, December 07, 2009 First Published: 00:42 IST(7/12/2009) Last Updated: 00:43 IST(7/12/2009) Rajasthan all-rounder Ashok Meenaria has been named the captain of the Indian team for the under-19 Cricket World Cup to be held in New Zealand from January 15. Before leaving for New Zealand, the team will travel to South Africa for a preparatory tour, where they will play a few matches. “My focus will be on defending the title,” Meenaria told the Hindustan Times. “Besides, our coach Sandeep Patil will be a great help to us,” he added. From the 30 probables announced in November, Haryana’s Mukul Dagar is the only notable name missing from the squad. Manan Sharma, Saurav Netrawalkar, Harmeet Singh and Mayank Agrawal have been selected for their performances in the recent past. Wicketkeepers Sufiyan Sheikh and Zahid Ali will perform the duty behind the stumps. However, below par performances by the capital’s age-group teams have left them disappointed as no player has been able to make it to the squad. Team: Ashok Menaria (captain, Rajasthan), Mandeep Singh (vice-captain, Punjab), Mayank Agarwal (Karnataka), Akshath Reddy (Hyderabad), Harpreet Singh (Madhya Pradesh), K.L. Rahul (Karnataka), Sufiyan Sheikh (Mumbai), Zahid Ali (Uttar Pradesh), Harshal Patel (Gujarat), Jaydev Unadkad (Saurashtra), Sandeep Sharma (Punjab), Saurav Netrawalkar (Mumbai), Harmeet Singh (Mumbai), Manan Sharma (Haryana) and Gaurav Jathar (Mumbai). .

yes i googled it who r the pacers other than Unadkat and netravalkar, pace bowling looks weak as netravalkar is nothing special. They didnt pick Krishna Das from Aasam i think who was the part of OX tour, bowled well there. They should have picked the bowlers who are playing ranji rather like Rahul Shukla from Jharkhand who is decently quick has played ranji and also played in Emerging players tourny for AIS and bowel well there too. I think BCCI now a days dont pick bowlers who comes form MRF.

India U-19 team to tour SA before WC As part of their build-up to the U-19 World Cup in New Zealand, defending champs India will tour South Africa for a one-day tri-series. More... Wednesday 9th December 2009 U-19 team to tour SA before WC As part of their build-up to the U-19 World Cup in New Zealand, defending champs India will tour South Africa for a one-day tri-series. It will feature Sri Lanka as the third team. "The Indian under-19 team will undertake a tour of South Africa for a tri-series, prior to the World Cup in New Zealand in January 2010. Sri Lanka will be the third team in the competition," BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement. The three teams will be based in Johannesburg and play a tri-series from December 27. India's opening match in the series would be on December 28 against South Africa. The Indians will play a couple of practice matches against local sides prior to that. The final of the series is scheduled on January 5.