Why do Indians ( Desis ) Stare at each other

Rajiv

Yeah I agree. At that time I used to think I am "too cool" for these kind of people' date=' specially given how they fit into the desi stereotype, but now I would agree that it's a matter of personal preference no matter how unfathomable to my mind and would have little bearing on them as individual people.[/quote'] prof u r genius btw the credit card debt wasnt too cool:nono:

from the dodgy chinese dude that comes to our office of course!! lal! j/k i dont get the DVD's my hubby does as the DVD is also the PAAN shop and i really cant stand the smell of PAAN
ah ha Paan :woot: .... I feel like having one (haven't had one since a long time)

I am using "too cool" in a negative light. When I came to US, I made a conscious effort not to be identified with the stereotypical desi graduate student where 5-6 people rent a home and share it, take turns cooking horrible daal and chicken in the evening, their idea of a night out is getting a bottle of Red Label and sharing it with 5 people, and to save up money from a miserly graduate student stipend to buy a TV and a car. I rented my own studio, never cooked unless it was for fun, went out regularly to bars, traveled around, and ended up racking a huge credit card debt by the time I got out 5 years later. My only desi interaction used to be during cricket matches and the annual diwali/independence day dinner. I still don't have any desi friend from my graduate school days I am in touch with because I made a conscious effort to keep interaction with them to a minimum. My only desi friends in the US are from my school and college days in India. Now, of course I realize that a lot of things I did during that time were entirely superficial and can also understand why a lot of desis live the way they do. Perhaps, I realized it even during school but never made an effort to go out of the way to interact with desis.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Damnit, I have been that way for most part. The very first year I came here, I was living with 3 other desis and was getting sucked into that stereotype mode. But I realized I was stagnating in some sense, so for last 3.5 years, I have been living in a studio and have deliberately avoided getting too mixed up with the "Only Indian" crowd. I think I really started enjoying grad school after I made that transition. My credit cards are all maxed out too...and have net worth of minus few thousand $ right now. :phehehe: But I did buy a car, only on loan though :hysterical: I am not the only one here like that though, quite a few "too cool" desis here, but majority do tend to be the cook daal and watch movies on friday night types. Then one fine day they go to India and come back married after 10 days. :hahaha:

LOL! I must have paid for a few people's salary at Citibank' date=' HSBC, and Bank of America through my interest. Job creation! Though I finally managed to get rid of it all last year! :yay:[/quote'] i'm hoping Junior doesnt find himself in the same position its not easy paying off debts as soon as u've graduated! :((

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Damnit, I have been that way for most part. The very first year I came here, I was living with 3 other desis and was getting sucked into that stereotype mode. But I realized I was stagnating in some sense, so for last 3.5 years, I have been living in a studio and have deliberately avoided getting too mixed up with the "Only Indian" crowd. My credit cards are all maxed out too...and have net worth of minus few thousand $ right now. :phehehe: But I did buy a car, only on loan though :hysterical: I am not the only one here like that though, quite a few "too cool" desis here, but majority do tend to be the cook daal and watch movies on friday night types. Then one fine day they go to India and come back married after 10 days. :hahaha:
But you got laid, so its all good. :winky::winky:

Yes' date=' Indians in India stare at foreign ladies like idiots. They stare so bad, that it's embarrassing.[/quote'] That too, totally agree. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Damnit, I have been that way for most part. The very first year I came here, I was living with 3 other desis and was getting sucked into that stereotype mode. But I realized I was stagnating in some sense, so for last 3.5 years, I have been living in a studio and have deliberately avoided getting too mixed up with the "Only Indian" crowd. I think I really started enjoying grad school after I made that transition. My credit cards are all maxed out too...and have net worth of minus few thousand $ right now. :phehehe: But I did buy a car, only on loan though :hysterical: I am not the only one here like that though, quite a few "too cool" desis here, but majority do tend to be the cook daal and watch movies on friday night types. Then one fine day they go to India and come back married after 10 days. :hahaha:
u know i guess it suppose it depends on what life experiences u have gotten from it all if its good then its money well spent!

u know i guess it suppose it depends on what life experiences u have gotten from it all if its good then its money well spent!
He has blonde life experiences. :P

I am not the only one here like that though, quite a few "too cool" desis here, but majority do tend to be the cook daal and watch movies on friday night types. Then one fine day they go to India and come back married after 10 days. :hahaha:
THIS is not even funny. Four of my friends (who are recent grads) went to India for "phun", haramzaades got sucked into altar and next thing I knew they were sponsoring their wives to kaneda :afraid:. This is why I put my plans for a "phun" time in India on a hold (indefinitely.....) :afraid: Desi parents :afraid: