IPL Auction 2010 / 19th Jan

Malcolm Merlyn

haiti-earthquake-peoplejpg-d659963c2ae6ab12_large.jpg 2.75 for pollard, uff thats a heck of lot money when you consider for what reason he is getting it for, i feel sad for those people in haiti and also my own cricket stars
you are worried about haiti and your own cricket stars. :giggle: your statement is an insult to the victims of haiti by putting their situation and your "stars" in the same sentence.

Guest DeveGowda
Frankly speaking the Ambanis have nothing to lose if they invest even 10 million .. and I am saying from business perspective .. unlike other franchisees the Ambanis and MI do not need to earn any profits from IPL .. they do earn profits from IPL but actually they can even work with losses... because those would actually not be losses but they can make as advertising costs .. Kingfisher and Reliance have got upto 2 months (45 +15 days if qualifies for CLT20) of free promotion and that matters more to them .. Sahara is paying more than 100 crores every year just to put a logo on the Indian jersey .. and Ambanis are getting full advertisement and promotion in all aspects in such a highly followed sports event .. so I think it is not loss for the corporates especially Ambanis and Mallyas who can consider any small losses as sponsorship expenditures
" PRESTIGE "

Guys I wouldnt believe the those figures until more reputable sites like cricinfo actually published the actual figures. The news channels are probably getting figures from some stupid gundas or some "close" sources. During the Auction press conference, Modi stated that the silent bid price is only known to him and the 8 representatives of the franchasise...

One thing is for certain...S Anirudha will open the inns along with Hayden. Daddy will make sure that happens.
Naah, Vijay is there agree Bollinger would have been a fine pick, but availability could have been the reason All in all, 2 good picks CSK is looking mighty strong, just need to hope this will be spinner's IPL and Murali can wield his magic, He would have good support in Ashwin and Jakati

Chennai doesnt have a good pace bowler from what I can see. Its just all-rounders (and lots of them) Were Friedel De Wet or Iain O'Brian in the lists? Hell, even someone like Anderson would have been decent. edit: Aha, Bollinger was there..

Chennai doesnt have a good pace bowler from what I can see. Its just all-rounders (and lots of them) Were Friedel De Wet or Iain O'Brian in the lists? Hell, even someone like Anderson would have been decent. edit: Aha, Bollinger was there..
I think Ntini is good.. The guy doesn't get to play much because of the 4 player rule. Hayden and Morkel are must because both boost the batting plus, morkel can bowl too.

I think Ntini is good.. The guy doesn't get to play much because of the 4 player rule. Hayden and Morkel are must because both boost the batting plus' date=' morkel can bowl too.[/quote'] He occasionally charges in and bowls at full tilt. But still, he's not going to hurry our domestic players into their shots too much (not at this stage of his career anyway). The seam attack atm is very one paced. Tyagi, Morkel and Oram (and now Kemp and Perera) bowl at a very similar pace and no one can give the batsmen a hurry up. And I'm sure that there's one overseas slot 'free' in the team. Oram played a lot of games where he did nothing with bat or ball. Hell, even some guy called Rob Bailey or something played a couple of games. A genuine quick would have defineetly been very helpful. Maybe Fintoff, maybe Thushara, whatever...

IPL matches to be broadcast live on Youtube In a move heralded to be the first of its kind, the IPL is set to become the first sporting event to be broadcast live on the internet. Google will partner with the IPL to beam all matches of the 2010 season live, across the globe, on a dedicated YouTube channel. "This changes the world of sports broadcasting. The internet has changed the lives of everyone and this will do the same for sport," Lalit Modi, the IPL commissioner, told the Daily Telegraph. "We are now taking our event truly global for the first time. Google gives us access to 500 million pairs of eyes every single moment of the day. There are a few countries where the feed will be near as live which means there will be a delay of only a few minutes, but most places will be able to see live streaming of the action." The move is expected to give the IPL access to global markets, where the second season was not telecast. The first season of the IPL was broadcast live in the United Kingdom, on the now defunct Setanta network, but there was no live feed for the 2009 tournament. In the absence of a television partner for the upcoming season, the UK audience will be able to view the cricket live. Countries that have a live television feed of the IPL matches will also be able to access the YouTube feed but with a delay of a few minutes. "We do not have a live feed in the UK. People in the UK keep asking me why they can't see it. Now if they have a broadband connection they can get it for free. We are in talks with all broadcasters in the UK but we would rather give it away free than let some of them make money out of us and the consumer. It is about broadening the fan base, after that everything follows," Modi said. The most significant aspect of the deal is the amount of control it gives the viewers, who will be able to customise their viewing experience by choosing between different camera angles. Additionally they will be able to freeze, fast-forward and rewind the feed, as well as watch replays at any time during the day, a choice that is unavailable to television viewers who are bound by broadcast schedules. "This will be a true experience for the fan who will be able to control how and when they watch the action. It doesn't matter if you live in Australia and the games are shown during the middle of the night. Now you will be able to get up in the morning and, if you have an internet connection, watch the action at a time of your choosing and not have to wait for a broadcaster to repeat it," Modi said. "The fans will also have exclusive feeds which we are only showing on Google. They will have what we call a Fan Feed which will show the entertainment around the matches." Modi said that despite the move towards the internet platform, which will provide the thrust for the IPL in its ambition to become a global brand, television will continue to remain an important focus area. "Television broadcasting still remains a massive focus for us all but this offers us tremendous potential for the future. Google has never done this before. This is a first for the whole of sport. "Commercially it means we will be able to reach new audiences and shows why sponsors want to be associated with us. Individual sponsors will be able to cut their own footage to suit their own needs. The possibilities are endless." http://www.cricinfo.com/ipl2010/content/current/story/445173.html As much as we (well some of us) hate Modi, you can't deny this man makes sh!t happen

Naah, Vijay is there agree Bollinger would have been a fine pick, but availability could have been the reason All in all, 2 good picks CSK is looking mighty strong, just need to hope this will be spinner's IPL and Murali can wield his magic, He would have good support in Ashwin and Jakati
Vijay was there in the last IPL too but Parthiv got to open ahead of him. I think Anirudha will be given chances this time around and even if he does a DECENT job, the rest of them(Vijay, Parthiv, Vidyut) will find it difficult to make the team. CSK should have bought a fast bowler...Welegedera was available. He looked pretty good in the ODIs as well as in the CL when he played for Wayamba. Oram has been a flop so far. Sorry to say, they could have bought out his contract and replaced him with the lanky SLankan.

Vijay was there in the last IPL too but Parthiv got to open ahead of him. I think Anirudha will be given chances this time around and even if he does a DECENT job, the rest of them(Vijay, Parthiv, Vidyut) will find it difficult to make the team. CSK should have bought a fast bowler...Welegedera was available. He looked pretty good in the ODIs as well as in the CL when he played for Wayamba. Oram has been a flop so far. Sorry to say, they could have bought out his contract and replaced him with the lanky SLankan.
Vijay was an untested commodity then( atleast at international level), but now he is a real contender for a test place in Indian XI, i think he will be first choice, but you cant tell for sure, wit Dhoni Vijay is a good strokemaker as well and can very well complement Haydos i could be wrong, but Welegedera was not in the auction list, he is very good wth yorkers You hit the nail on the head, they should have bought out Oram's contract and got a bowler, though they tried hard to get Bond or Roach