SA in India - Feb 2010

Feed

I hope sporting pitches implies turning tracks rather than out-an-out grasslawns!' date=' Spin is our home-advantage which should'nt be compromised ever![/quote'] A good curator should be able to do BOTH. Have pitches that contain enough grass and good pace but also breakup and crumble on the 4th and fifth days to allow for spin. It's the ideal way to play test matches and hopefully the BCCI actually follows up on this by reviewing the pitches afterwards and rewarding/punishing the grounds that don't adhere to this.

India vs SA in India, 2010 : Itinerary The first Test between India and South Africa would be played at Nagpur’s VCA Stadium in Jamtha. More... Nagpur to host opening Test against SA PTI The first Test between India and South Africa would be played at Nagpur’s VCA Stadium in Jamtha from February 6-10, while the second and final match would be held at Eden Gardens in Kolkata from the 14th to 18th. The Proteas are scheduled to arrive in Mumbai on January 31 and proceed to Nagpur the next day, Cricket Board sources said on Friday. The ODIs have been scheduled at Jaipur, Kanpur and Ahmedabad but because of logistical reasons the venue-wise scheduling is yet to be finalised, the sources said, adding the matches would be held on January 21, 24 and 27.

BCCI announces dates for S.A series The hastily-arranged Test series between India and South Africa will start on February 6 in Nagpur, BCCI announced on Friday. India will play two Tests against South Africa and after the opener in Nagpur, the teams will take a three-day break before playing the second match of the series in Kolkata from February 14. The first of the three-match ODI series will commence in Jaipur on February 21, BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement. The next two One-dayers will folow on February 24 and 27 in Kanpur ( :nervous: ) and Ahmedabad respectively. The matches in Jaipur and Ahmedabad would be day-night affairs. South Africa were scheduled to play only five One-Day Internationals during the tour but agreed to play the Tests following a request from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). India, who became the No 1 Test side after beating Sri Lanka 2-0 at home in late 2009, were in danger of losing their top status as they were scheduled to play only two Tests in 2010, both against Bangladesh. http://cricket.rediff.com/report/2010/jan/15/bcci-announces-dates-for-south-africa-series.htm

Smith upbeat for India Test Smith upbeat for India Test South Africa captain Graeme Smith is hoping that his teammates will carry the winning momentum with them to India. South Africa finished an epic four-Test series at home to England by retaining the Basil D'Oliveira Trophy. An innings-and-74-run victory in a sometimes fractious final Test at The Wanderers was built on Smith’s first-innings hundred and 14 wickets shared between Morne Morkel and Dale Steyn, in conditions that played to the two fast bowlers' strengths. SA square series against England Smith is encouraged by Sunday's outcome and South Africa's domination of two of the other three Tests in the drawn series. But he said: "It's a whole new world touring India. Not many teams go there and prove to be successful. "Last time we were there, we drew the series 1-1, and we've got a few challenges going into those conditions to perform well." South Africa faltered only in the second Test against England, losing by an innings at Kingsmead. Smith believes a short recovery period after a tough series, and then a confident approach, will be major assets on the sub-continent. "A good, aggressive mindset going into India is always crucial," he continued. "We'll prepare well. But it's been quite a heavy summer, so it's important that the guys recover - then we can switch on for India." South Africa, second in the world rankings just behind India, are likely to once again be playing under the International Cricket Council's decision review system, which was responsible for its share of controversy against England. But Smith appears to have warmed to DRS, despite his initial qualms. ICC chief promises DRS investigation "As I said before the series, it was something I was sceptical about," he said. "But I think people are losing focus about what it is there for. Teams are certainly trying their luck a lot more but it really is there to take the shocking decision out of the game. "Maybe if you only had one review, you wouldn't take so many chances, and possibly that needs to be tightened up. "We need to keep trialling it and improving it but there were always going to be frustrations on either team. You have to view it in the right light and how it was meant to be used." There was no doubt South Africa were the team who finished the strongest against England, and Smith admitted a fifth Test, as there used to be between these two countries, would probably have appealed to him. "I wish there was a decider now," he said. "But, again, like the review system, we knew what it was before the series so it's pointless crying over it. I'm just really proud of the way the guys played. We had two debutants (in the final Test) who put in solid performances and we certainly were the team who were hungrier going into this game, and we played that way. "It shows this team wants to progress and, within the group, there is a real drive to be better." Steyn, who had to sit out the first Test with a hamstring strain and perhaps returned to full fitness only in time for the third, finished with a telling 15 wickets in only five innings. "England was the one side I hadn't really performed well against and I really wanted to put that right," he said. "After not playing at Centurion, I knew I had to lift my game for the remaining three and make a massive contribution. But watching Morne bowl throughout the series has been the highlight for me. "With Makhaya (Ntini) falling away, Morne has stepped up and he's bowled tremendously. "I think he deserves all the credit and I have actually been bowling behind him. He's been the spearhead."

SA in India - Feb 2010

Tue Feb 2 - Wed Feb 3
04:00 GMT | 09:30 local
23:00 EST -1d | 22:00 CST -1d | 20:00 PST -1d 	TBC v South Africans
Vidarbha Cricket Association Ground, Nagpur 	
N/A

Sat Feb 6 - Wed Feb 10
23:00 EST -1d | 22:00 CST -1d | 20:00 PST -1d 	1st Test - India v South Africa
Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Jamtha, Nagpur 	
N/A

Sun Feb 14 - Thu Feb 18
23:00 EST -1d | 22:00 CST -1d | 20:00 PST -1d 	2nd Test - India v South Africa
Eden Gardens, Kolkata 	
N/A

Sun Feb 21          
09:00 GMT | 14:30 local
04:00 EST | 03:00 CST | 01:00 PST 	1st ODI - India v South Africa
Sawai Mansingh Stadium, Jaipur 	
N/A

Wed Feb 24
03:30 GMT | 09:00 local
22:30 EST -1d | 21:30 CST -1d | 19:30 PST -1d 	2nd ODI - India v South Africa
Green Park, Kanpur 	
N/A

Sat Feb 27          
09:00 GMT | 14:30 local
04:00 EST | 03:00 CST | 01:00 PST 	3rd ODI - India v South Africa
Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad 

SA Squad

Test squad Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, Mark Boucher (wk), AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Jacques Kallis, Ryan McLaren, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Alviro Petersen, Ashwell Prince, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

ODI squad Graeme Smith (capt), Loots Bosman, Johan Botha, Mark Boucher (wk), AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Alviro Petersen, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Roelof van der Merwe.

The test series is going to be pretty exciting w/ both teams keen to show who is more deserving of the #1 ranking! I get a feeling that SA are going to give Ind a good fight. Ind will have to be at the top of their game. Later this year, Ind is going to play 2 tests in SA too, so the rivalry is going to be strong!

Many SA players play the IPL so they are not alien to the Ind conditions. It just that Ind plays better in Ind conditions I am more keen to know how the surface at Nagpur would be. Usually, it's a batting beauty but at times it tends to support pacers too

The tour game is at the old cricket ground at Nagpur where's the test is at the VCA Stadium in Jamtha, Nagpur. SA didnt want to travel too much before the first test and hence Nagpur is holding the first test and not Kolkata. I hope we get to see good pitches for this test series like the ones during the 2001 series vs Aussies.

What would be the best team that Ind can field? I am not asking for a cricinfo probably 11 which is likely to play but the one that you think is the best one First, what combination should Ind go for? 1. 7 batsmen, 2 pacers, 2 spinners 2. 6 batsmen, 3 pacers, 2 spinners 3. 6 batsmen, 1 bowling all-rounder, 4 bowlers As for the top 6 batsmen: Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Dhoni (WK all-rounder) select themselves Pacers: Zak and Ishant are in good form Considering SA's perceived weakness against spin, 2 spinners would have to play. But the question is which ones? Bhajji and Ojha playing together is more suited to ODIs. A wkt taking spinner like Mishy has to get a look in for one of the spots. Also I have heard abt Ashwin So here: Mishy + ? And since we have 2 pacers + 2 spinners, what would be a better: an fast bowling all-rounder or a 7 (playing at #6) batsman or a 5th bowler in a pacer? Here: ? The contenders here would be (other suggestions are welcome): Batsman: Yuvi, Badri, Kohli or even the new kid Pandey (well throw him in) All-rounder bowing pace: Irfan Pathan (we miss Ganguly operating like a 3rd seamer and giving us vital break throughs) Seamers: Sreesant (ability to swing/reverse at decent pace), Munaf (line and length stuff), Tyagi

7 batsmen + 2 spinners + 2 pacers all the way.. At least the for the first test, the team picks itself. Zak and Ishant will be the pacers, while bhajji and Mishra will be the spinners. There's no way they're going to go into a test with TWO finger spinners. As far as the pitch, ideally it should spin like a brand new top from day 2 onwards. If the curator can guarantee that no matter what, the match will end of session 3 of day 4, we will be winners for sure. But there's very limited chance of that happening. My guess is that being the first test of the series, the BCCI boffins will play it safe and Nagpur will predominantly be a batting track, which probably indicates to a drawn result. Kolkata is bound to have lot more in it for the spinners.

7 batsmen + 2 spinners + 2 pacers all the way.. At least the for the first test, the team picks itself. Zak and Ishant will be the pacers, while bhajji and Mishra will be the spinners. There's no way they're going to go into a test with TWO finger spinners. As far as the pitch, ideally it should spin like a brand new top from day 2 onwards. If the curator can guarantee that no matter what, the match will end of session 3 of day 4, we will be winners for sure. But there's very limited chance of that happening. My guess is that being the first test of the series, Nagpur will predominantly be a batting track, which probably indicates to a drawn first test. Kolkata is bound to have lot more in it for the spinners.
how did you come to conclusion?.if anything the tests against bangladesh have further muddied the picture.i wouldn't be surprised if they picked Ojha.
how did you come to conclusion?.if anything the tests against bangladesh have further muddied the picture.i wouldn't be surprised if they picked Ojha.
Mishra picked up 7 wickets in the last test. Do you think the team mgmt. will over look that and pick Ojha for the 1st test? Besides, a leg-spinner is sure to set the cat among the pigeons for few of the Saffie batsmen. If Mishra fails in the 1st test, they might go in with Ojha for the 2nd.
Mishra picked up 7 wickets in the last test. Do you think the team mgmt. will over look that and pick Ojha for the 1st test? Besides, a leg-spinner is sure to set the cat among the pigeons for few of the Saffie batsmen. If Mishra fails in the 1st test, they might go in with Ojha for the 2nd.
yes i do,i dont think Dhoni has much confidence in him.there was no reason to drop him after the first test.mishra was not that impressive against england.I would like them to give Mishra some extended run but i wouldnt be shocked if they picked Ojha.
If they have over looked him in this test whats to say they won't overlook him in the next test. If Mishra does decently or even if India wins by a big margin, Dhoni will say why break a winning combination.