Handling SA seamers would be very tough...

Rajan

Tall bouncy pacer in Morkel' date=' likely left arm pace of Parnell and short skiddier type pacer in Steyn... Im not sure they are 1D[/quote'] Their attack isn't 1D, but it will be.. if we prepare pitches with no bounce and turning square from first morning on Day 1 :--D
Thats such a loser approach I don't know where you come up with that stuff. :hysterical::hysterical: We are trying to build a dominant team here, and you want pitches with nothing for pacers ? Even the spinners like to have bounce in the pitch. Our test pace attack is not bad and I see Zak and Ishant back in form. They were the MOS in home series against aussies and england, and THIS is how you reward them. and once they break down, then blame on the Indian genes. :hysterical:
Loser approach? Beg your pardon but South Africa does not roll out friendly tracks that suit our game when we tour abroad. There is absolutely no problem with rolling out spin friendly tracks here at our home. This going on and on with preparation of 'sporting tracks' and importing soil from God knows where has got to stop. Lets be proud of our indigenous tracks and roll them out as is. Diversity is the life blood of the game. If the definition of a 'sporting track' were to be a universal one then cricket will be poorer off for it! And if there is such uniformity in playing surfaces then there will be no point in playing either home or away! While our Test pace attack is good enough it is no match for the South African pacers. Plus the South Africans are weak as kittens against spin. Need we have more incentive to roll out spin friendly tracks? ________ How to roll a blunt
Loser approach? Beg your pardon but South Africa does not roll out friendly tracks that suit our game when we tour abroad. There is absolutely no problem with rolling out spin friendly tracks here at our home. This going on and on with preparation of 'sporting tracks' and importing soil from God knows where has got to stop. Lets be proud of our indigenous tracks and roll them out as is. Diversity is the life blood of the game. If the definition of a 'sporting track' were to be a universal one then cricket will be poorer off for it! And if there is such uniformity in playing surfaces then there will be no point in playing either home or away! While our Test pace attack is good enough it is no match for the South African pacers. Plus the South Africans are weak as kittens against spin. Need we have more incentive to roll out spin friendly tracks?
Next time you cry about how slow our pacers are or how they injured so often, I will throw this post on your face. There is too much of the conventional logic in your posts, which totally breaks down in face of facts. 1). Spin is no longer our only weapon at home, and on top of that, having bounce in the pitch is going to help spinners too. Kumble used bounce very effectively and Bhajji relished bowling on bouncy pitches too. 2).Ishant can get troubling bounce and we have seen how he bowled down under, he was practically unplayable. 3). Rather than any of our spinners, it was Sree who got a fifer in last test series againt SL, and Ishant and khan were man of series in the 2 home series preceding that. 4). We beat SF in SF in a test where Sree bowled better than any of their bowlers.
Next time you cry about how slow our pacers are or how they injured so often, I will throw this post on your face. There is too much of the conventional logic in your posts, which totally breaks down in face of facts. 1). Spin is no longer our only weapon at home, and on top of that, having bounce in the pitch is going to help spinners too. Kumble used bounce very effectively and Bhajji relished bowling on bouncy pitches too. 2).Ishant can get troubling bounce and we have seen how he bowled down under, he was practically unplayable. 3). Rather than any of our spinners, it was Sree who got a fifer in last test series againt SL, and Ishant and khan were man of series in the 2 home series preceding that. 4). We beat SF in SF in a test where Sree bowled better than any of their bowlers.
Patience, please. No need to throw anything in anybody's face. :) Conventional logic? Oh yes, there is. And what is the problem with that? You dont want conventional logic? I never said spin is the only weapon available to us. I said, against South Africa it is imperative that we prepare spin friendly tracks because they are vulnerable against it, plus we would start with a huge advantage. Not to mention that their bowlers too would be neutralized to a large extent. And punjabi_khota - we saw how penetrative our pacers were today. No, I am not underestimating them. I am just saying that the South African pacers are in a different league when compared to ours. Plain and simple. Logic demands that we play to our strengths. Do you believe that we should lay out a welcome mat and prepare a wicket Springbok style for them to feel absolutely at home? ________ Live Sex
Patience, please. No need to throw anything in anybody's face. :) Conventional logic? Oh yes, there is. And what is the problem with that? You dont want conventional logic? I never said spin is the only weapon available to us. I said, against South Africa it is imperative that we prepare spin friendly tracks because they are vulnerable against it, plus we would start with a huge advantage. Not to mention that their bowlers too would be neutralized to a large extent. And punjabi_khota - we saw how penetrative our pacers were today. No, I am not underestimating them. I am just saying that the South African pacers are in a different league when compared to ours. Plain and simple. Logic demands that we play to our strengths. Do you believe that we should lay out a welcome mat and prepare a wicket Springbok style for them to feel absolutely at home?
No, the point is that you have not watched Indian cricket matches for the past 4 years. Thats the only conclusion one can make from reading your posts. Our pacemen have been the biggest reason why we have won games abroad and at home recently, while Harbhajan has been, at best, a support act. If you want to neutralize our pacemen, kiss goodbye to any chances of a series win. If, on the other hand, we can get a wicket like the Mohali or Nagpur one vs. Australia in 2008 September/October (you know the games where we thrashed Australia because Zaheer and Ishant were excellently using reverse swing?), then we have a chance. Our batting line up is very strong (even compared to the impressive SA line up). So, in order to win games, Zaheer, Ishant, and Sreesanth ought to be able to take plenty of wickets, and flat pattas/square turners is effectively nullifying that prospect. So lets go by what you said: "Logic demands that we play to our strengths", and our strength at home has NOT been square turners - they have been dry pitches which aid reverse swing (and automatically help Harbhajan with turn and bounce).
No, the point is that you have not watched Indian cricket matches for the past 4 years. Thats the only conclusion one can make from reading your posts. Our pacemen have been the biggest reason why we have won games abroad and at home recently, while Harbhajan has been, at best, a support act. If you want to neutralize our pacemen, kiss goodbye to any chances of a series win. If, on the other hand, we can get a wicket like the Mohali or Nagpur one vs. Australia in 2008 September/October (you know the games where we thrashed Australia because Zaheer and Ishant were excellently using reverse swing?), then we have a chance. Our batting line up is very strong (even compared to the impressive SA line up). So, in order to win games, Zaheer, Ishant, and Sreesanth ought to be able to take plenty of wickets, and flat pattas/square turners is effectively nullifying that prospect. So lets go by what you said: "Logic demands that we play to our strengths", and our strength at home has NOT been square turners - they have been dry pitches which aid reverse swing (and automatically help Harbhajan with turn and bounce).
Its news to me that I have not been watching cricket. My wife keeps complaining that I need to stop doing that! :) Graphic23 - this is South Africa we are talking about, remember? Do you want to compare our fast bowlers with theirs? Like I asked before, do you want to lay out a welcome mat? I will tell you what I agree with. Right now, we are stronger in the pace department than in the spin one. Which is a shame and a pity rolled into one. For too long the focus has been on fast bowlers and in the process we have lost track of our spin department. But even with our relatively weakened spin, we are more than a match for South Africa. That is a team which has proven to the world that it cannot play spin time and time again. On the evidence of that would you not prepare spinning tracks? Or would you prepare tracks on the lines of what they are used to playing on? ________ Live sex webshows

And like I said, dry tracks are not something they are used to. I dont think they are very big proponents of reverse swing either. Zaheer excels at it. I'd rather prepare a track that helps Zaheer and Ishant (and at the same time, help Harbhajan and Sehwag as a bi-product) than make one for our average spinners, where with a little bit of application from their side, it will be big bore fest. If I came across as very rude, I apologize. My opinions stem from the fact that our spin attack has been rather mediocre by our standards - and we're supposed to be the home of all things great about spin. And also that the efforts of Zaheer, Ishant, Sreesanth, etc. should not go to waste - they ought to be recognized for the hardwork they put in.

Its news to me that I have not been watching cricket. My wife keeps complaining that I need to stop doing that! :) Graphic23 - this is South Africa we are talking about, remember? Do you want to compare our fast bowlers with theirs? Like I asked before, do you want to lay out a welcome mat? I will tell you what I agree with. Right now, we are stronger in the pace department than in the spin one. Which is a shame and a pity rolled into one. For too long the focus has been on fast bowlers and in the process we have lost track of our spin department. But even with our relatively weakened spin, we are more than a match for South Africa. That is a team which has proven to the world that it cannot play spin time and time again. On the evidence of that would you not prepare spinning tracks? Or would you prepare tracks on the lines of what they are used to playing on?
I would like you to compare on theory, the indian pace attack with that of australia, and england. Then I would like you to tell me whose side's pacers performed better in India's last series with both of them. (hell even consider the tour to england where khan raped them after jelly bean incident..rp was very very good too). Then I would like you to tell me which side's pacers performed better in the epic test in south africa where sreesanth did exactly what steyn did to india later.

Oh and one other thing, graphic23. When you look up statistics of India's performance at home in the last couple or so years, please look into how many raging turners we prepared. The point is we have started getting into a mentality which says that it is OK to produce seaming tracks which continue to seam and swing in the 5th day (if it goes on till that) but it is not OK for a track to spin, say, right from the *** end of the 1st day. Why is that? It is not as if all the teams in the world have a problem with spin. Just like it is not that all the teams in the world have a problem with pace and swing. Good balls will get good wickets. Simple as that. True anywhere. We really have to get out of our negative mentality. We get a grassy welcome when we go there. We need to provide rough surfaces when we get to play at home. Because we can handle those surfaces better than the visitors. A raging turner is not a bad word. No matter what the ICC wants you to believe. :) ________ Fantazie cam

And like I said' date=' dry tracks are [i']not something they are used to. I dont think they are very big proponents of reverse swing either. Zaheer excels at it. I'd rather prepare a track that helps Zaheer and Ishant (and at the same time, help Harbhajan and Sehwag as a bi-product) than make one for our average spinners, where with a little bit of application from their side, it will be big bore fest. If I came across as very rude, I apologize. My opinions stem from the fact that our spin attack has been rather mediocre by our standards - and we're supposed to be the home of all things great about spin. And also that the efforts of Zaheer, Ishant, Sreesanth, etc. should not go to waste - they ought to be recognized for the hardwork they put in.
No problem, graphic23. I understood where you were coming from. I too am pained at the bareness of the Indian cupboard when it comes to spin. But, and this is a big 'but', we are still better off putting the South Africans ill at ease with rough surfaces than preparing green tracks. The rough surfaces will definitely help reverse swing. And that would probably be the best of both worlds for our attack. I dont think we are at too much of a tangent here.
I would like you to compare on theory, the indian pace attack with that of australia, and england. Then I would like you to tell me whose side's pacers performed better in India's last series with both of them. (hell even consider the tour to england where khan raped them after jelly bean incident..rp was very very good too). Then I would like you to tell me which side's pacers performed better in the epic test in south africa where sreesanth did exactly what steyn did to india later.
Punjabi_khota - let me give it to you first up. The Indian pace attack is among the biggest reasons why India started to compete abroad. Period. There can be no questioning that. However, the Indian pace attack is certainly not rated better than the Australian or the South African ones. Our problem always has been that we have some outstanding spells from one bowler while the others dont come to the party. Occasionally we have been able to cobble together a cogent, concerted effort in the field. But we need to do that regularly to be able to compete and outgun the Australians and South Africans. Plus we need to support our faster bowlers in the slips better. I have a small disagreement about R.P.Singh though. I always thought he was an overrated bowler. Also I see his action causing him huge problems not too far down the line. ________ LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

P_K, That would be a silly gamble and would mean we don't learn from our mistakes. Zakky is 3 years older and slower - Ishant well not nearly as consistent as Steyn. Dravid may not play. All these factors need to be considered with the fact that it is a fricking 2 match series - one poor session can cost you a match and then you are just playing catch up in the next to friggin save our own home series - exactly how it happened last time RSA visited. The way to go about is prepare dry pitches with almost no assistance to pacers off the pitch , but does natural work of scuffing the ball and allowing Zakky's late reverse swing. This would be off great help to Bhajji too. This would also ensure we don't face a surprise batting collapse.

Worried about Morne Morkel..even on their last tour he was their best bowler. Hope Ishant can match upto him.
See this is one thing. Ishant could have become a Morkel like bowler if he had focused on his incoming deliveries and used the leg cutter occasionally. Right now he is overdoing the leg cutter and is losing pace and his natural length. Morkel on the other hand does not get a huge bunch of wickets. That is because of his bowling style. Hit the pitch and go at the batsman. Always coming in to the right hander. Occasionally leaving him. He is also much quicker than Ishant. The present Ishant, I mean. And so, Morkel is the perfect foil for the bowlers around him to get wickets. That is team work. I wish India learn that kind of work.

I forgot to mention - I see Morkel as the only bowler troubling Sehwag. I do not see Sehwag struggling against Steyn or Parnell. Morkel's natural delivery - coming into the right hander and at an awkward height - is sure to ask questions of Sehwag. This should be a delectable contest.