A Tribute to the master of subcontinental conditions Zaheer

Ram

Yes, we're talking about the one and only Zaheer Khan. :hatsoff: The guy's guile when it comes to bowling with old ball in Asian conditions is beyond par, not that his ability to pick up wickets with the new ball is any less rated either. But Zak comes into his own when the ball starts doing a bit after overs number 50-55. We never lose an opportunity to shower some of the premier batsmen with some of the most glowing accolades for their role in helping us get to the no.1 spot. But this guy has had an equally important role to play. Zak has added an previously unknown dimension to our attack in Asian conditions. It helped us comprehensively beat Australia in 2008. Hopefully, it should help us put one past the formidable South Africans in 2010.
:adore:

Oh my God! Another MoM award for an Indian pacer in the subcontinent! :hail: Zak's the ZEN Master! He can make the ball talk in 6 different languages, including Hindi, Marathi, Gujrati, English and Urdu. :laugh: The way he manipulates his mastery of reverse swing with his acumen of fast bowling is simply amazing. He exactly knows what line/length to bowl to which batsmen.

And out b4 P_K claims it 'pace and bounce' that helped Zak take all the wickets and we should follow a similar strategy to help our pacers in the Saffies series. :laugh: Its R-E-V-E-R-S-E swing dude, reverse swing. The pitch was as dead as a Taliban militant spotted by an American drone from the air. :laugh:

Zaheer: Not at my best yet Zaheer Khan believes he is still some distance away from attaining his peak bowling fitness despite a Man of the Match award against Bangladesh in Dhaka. More... Wednesday 27th January 2010 Zaheer: Not at my best yet Zaheer Khan believes he is still some distance away from attaining his peak bowling fitness despite a Man of the Match award against Bangladesh in Dhaka. The Indian spearhead's 10-wicket match haul sunk Bangladesh in the second Test but the Zaheer, who put his shoulder under the knife in August last year, said the injury-layoff allowed him to work on his bowling but he was not at his best yet. "Lot of things in bowling come from experience. I started late in my career and was out of the side due to injuries," Zaheer told reporters after scripting India's 10-wicket victory in the second Test. "I think injuries helped me work on my bowling. I was fortunate that I could work on my bowling and make a comeback," he said. Zaheer's sterling performance earned him both the Man of the Match and Man of the Series awards but the left-arm seamer said he could be even better. "(I have) still a long way to go on my fitness. But to get back from the injury and bowling well is satisfying. I have started the season on a positive note and I am looking forward. "An important series (against South Africa) is coming up and I am looking forward to do well," said the pacer. Elated with his first 10-wicket match haul, Zaheer said, "I am happy with my first 10 wickets in a Test. I am in a zone where I am relaxed with my body and mind are in sync. Dwelling on the match, Zaheer said even though the hosts posed some resistance on Tuesday, the Indians knew they have a chance to win after taking two quick wickets towards close last evening. "It was more to do with the nature of the wicket. It was quite slow yesterday. They were batting well and taking their chances. As bowlers we have to be patient. When we got the last two wickets we knew that we have a chance. "In the last 20 minutes on Tuesday the ball was reverse swinging. We thought we could take wickets today morning and we did," he said. Zaheer said the wicket did not have much for the spinners and he was happy that the fast bowlers did their job. "The wicket was slow and low throughout and there was nothing much for spinners. So I am happy that the pacers shared the wickets. At Chittagong (in first Test) also we have a collective effort as a bowling unit," he said. "It was a difficult track but the kookaburra ball always do something on sub-continental pitches. It swings when new and there will be reverse swing when old as as it did today," he added. Zaheer said he was surprised by Bangladesh's dramatic collapse but said they would learn from experience. "I was surprised by the collapse. They could have applied themselves more. But these are their early days in Test cricket and they will learn. And they would be confident of their batting performance in this Test," he added.

Well, Zaheer is still not at his best yet. He's still not back to his best when he owned the England batsmen in their home conditions. Hopefully he stays healthy for the SA test series. But far more importantly he needs better support from the other bowlers. Zaheer is at his best against the new batsmen because he knows exactly how to use the angles and seam to lure the new guy on the crease. It was obvious today. After we got a couple of breakthroughs from the spinners, Zaheer ran through them because new batsmen didn't stand a chance. Our spinners and Sharma will definitely need to contribute in the upcoming series, that way Dhoni can bring on Zaheer for short effective bursts as the strike bowler.

I like the variety that Zak shows I agree that we spend so much time showering praises on our batsmen that we forgot that our bowlers need some attention and praise too. I love Zak for his quality to turn a game on its head with some amazing spells. He is not someone who would bowl consistently well in every game but he is one of those maverick cricketers, who would produce one or two amazing performance out of nowhere in a series to give Ind an edge For a batsman, there are two measures to judge his value, either he is averaging 40-50 and if less than helping his side win/draw games once or twice in a series with one or two maverick performances. Same measure goes for bowlers, either you are someone with a good avg or SR, or a maverick bowler, who comes up with amazing spells once or twice in a series Zak offers tremendous value for his ability to turn things on its head! Hats off to Zak! :hatsoff:

Zaheer walks the talk to swing it for India To say Zaheer Khan was all over Bangladesh would be an understatement - he owned them today .... There was almost no follow-through today, a day on which he wasn't merely all over Bangladesh, he owned them. His final spell read: Nine deliveries, four wickets, no run.......
:super: http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshvind2010/content/story/445989.html

Zaheer Khan opening new chapter for Indian cricket NSW captain Simon Katich is hoping rookie paceman Trent Copeland can catch Queensland unaware and kick-start a late-season revival for the Blues in the Sheffield Shield clash starting Friday at the SCG. More... Zaheer Khan opening new chapter for Indian cricket Talented bowler awaits South Africans with proof that with heart and belief, you can go a long way Apart from the wealth of batting experience, what swung the scales India's way, literally, was Zaheer Khan. Like Gambhir, Zaheer took time to convince himself and others that he belonged in august company. But since his return from county-cricket exile – second division, no less, with Worcestershire – he has led the line magnificently, despite the support cast changing on a match-by-match basis. Handy with the new ball, he comes into his own with the scuffed up one later in the innings. At Mirpur, Bangladesh went from 290 for 3 to 312 all out as Zaheer, back brace and all, decimated hopes of survival in one over before lunch. Raqibul Hasan shouldered arms to one that came in with the angle from round the wicket and when Mahmudullah, who had scored a stunning 96 in the first dig, failed to cover the away movement two balls later, Murali Vijay dived to his left to take a stupendous catch at second slip. Shafiul had little idea about one that splayed his stumps, and that dismissal was reprised three balls after lunch with Rubel Hossain the victim. Zaheer had 7 for 87, 10 for the match, and all this without poor Bangladesh bringing out the jellybeans that piqued him so at Trent Bridge in 2007. His numbers may not be indicative of a great bowler, but the 101 wickets (at 29.42) in his last 25 Tests have been instrumental in India's steady climb up the rankings. And while Dale Steyn is hailed as the best in the world after traumatising England in conditions far more amenable to swing bowling, Zaheer has had to do it the hard way, bowling his overs on unforgiving subcontinental pitches. Their face-off next week will be decisive in a series that's already been billed as The World Championship of Cricket. Dravid has a broken cheekbone, while Laxman and Yuvraj Singh are nursing hand injuries. India were without Tendulkar in the last series against South Africa, and it's doubtful whether the best XI will be on the park in Nagpur next Wednesday. It shouldn't matter. South Africa have chosen the worst possible time to take a wrecking ball to their cricketing edifice, and whoever steps in to fill the breach for India will be mindful of what Gambhir and Zaheer have achieved in recent times. A little heart, and the belief that you belong, go a long way.