"CAB should have made turning track": Sourav Ganguly

Feed

Former captain Sourav Ganguly feels India have lost out on home advantage after CAB had refused to make a spin-friendly track. More... Saturday 13th February 2010 "CAB should have made turning track" Former captain Sourav Ganguly feels India have lost out on home advantage after CAB had refused to make a spin-friendly track. Ganguly lashed out at the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) for not coming up with a pitch that suited the home team for the second and final Test match between India and South Africa, starting on Sunday. "We should make a turner track. Any association should not refuse making such a wicket if spin is your strength. If (Mahendra Singh Dhoni) wanted a spinner-friendly wicket, then he should have got it. We should get home advantage," said Ganguly. "Fair to exploit home conditions" The Cricket Board (BCCI) had asked CAB to prepare a turning track after India suffered a humiliating innings defeat against the Proteas in the first Test at Nagpur. However, the CAB refused to budge to BCCI's request and said they have prepared a sporting track and not a minefield. Ganguly also advised Dhoni to go into the match with two pacers and two spinners and threw his weight behind off-spinner Harbhajan Singh, although he is not in the best of form. "I will play with two spinners and two pacers. I am a bit doubtful about Sreesanth, not sure how much match-fit he really is after the hamstring injury. "Harbhajan has not been bowling well in the last three-four months. I am sure he knows that himself. But, he is a player who always makes a comeback in such situations," he said. "This is a lucky ground for him though I am doubtful if he would get much spin on this track. He is a fighter and I honestly feel that people like him, Sehwag and Zaheer keep coming back," Ganguly told a news channel. As India struggled in the first Test in the absence of stalwarts like Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman, exposing the team's fragile middle-order, Ganguly called on the youngsters to grab the opportunity. "Bench strength will not be ready in a day. Youngsters will have to perform well outside India in trying conditions. "Look at me, Dravid or Sehwag for that matter, who scored his first century in South Africa. We all got our first Test tons batting in really tough conditions. "I don't consider Yuvraj much important in Test cricket right now as he is trying to find his feet in this format. However, Dravid and Laxman's absence will always be a big gap to fill," he said. Even though Ganguly was in the favour of a left-hander's inclusion in the middle order, he doubted the abilities of Suresh Raina, who is likely to make his debut on Sunday. "Left handers have a place in every team as they disturb the line of bowlers. However, someone like Suresh Raina has to get a bit more runs in domestic cricket to get into the team straightaway and doing that at Eden Gardens won't be that easy," stated the Prince of Kolkata.

"Left handers have a place in every team as they disturb the line of bowlers. However, someone like Suresh Raina has to get a bit more runs in domestic cricket to get into the team straightaway and doing that at Eden Gardens won't be that easy," stated the Prince of Kolkata. I agree with Dada, Raina is pathetic and is record isn't that impressive copared to Vijay and Kohli.

Raina has scored more runs than Saurav himself had scored before coming to the national team (or rather making a comeback to the national side in 1996). Before making his India debut in 96, Dada had played 51 first class matches, scored 3000 runs@44 with 6 100s and 16 50s Raina currently has played 51 matches, scored 3684 runs@45 with 6 100s and 25 50s. About the Eden pitch, if only he had spoken a week ago!