Indian news channels not to cover IPL 2010

Sachinism

The IPL has been hit with another potential controversy with Indian news broadcasters deciding not to cover the third season in protest against what it called "arbitrary" guidelines and contentious clauses regarding tournament footage. The decision followed a meeting between the News Broadcasters' Association and officials of the IPL and Set Max, the tournament rights holder. The NBA, which has 34 member channels, said the IPL and Set Max officials "arbitrarily" refused to abide by the 2008 norms, which had been agreed on by all. "In view of this position, unilaterally taken by IPL/Set Max, members of the NBA are unable to offer to their viewers any coverage in relation to IPL or its proposed matches," the association said. "Inconvenience caused to our viewers by this unreasonable commercial approach of IPL/Set MAX is regretted." The media coverage guidelines for 2010 have reduced the duration of match footage that news channels can carry -- 30 seconds per bulletin and seven minutes a day. Repeats will be allowed three times a day, as against four previously, and while match footage could earlier be telecast with a five-minute delay from the end of the live telecast, it has been expanded to a half-hour delay. The first IPL season was boycotted by the international news agencies over certain contentious clauses in the media accreditation guidelines, including a bar on supplying photographs to cricket-specific websites such as Cricinfo. The second season witnessed a repeat after News Media Coalition, the umbrella body that includes global news and photograph agencies Reuters, AP, AFP and Getty Images, objected over the same clause. However, the boycott was lifted after the IPL removed the clause from the terms of coverage. The 2010 tournament has already run into controversies with Shiv Sena threatening not to allow the Australian players in Mumbai as long as attack continues on the Indians living in Australia. http://www.cricinfo.com/ipl2010/content/story/448566.html :hysterical: IPL is such a joke

Guest DeveGowda
Doesnt this happen every year
Absolutely....IPL need as much publicity as possible..even if its negetive..:haha: Also New channels also need some thing to Fill theier screens ...rather than repeatedly showing same thing again and again... They will go for some compromise

Doesnt this happen every year
Yes it happened last year too .. foreign news agencies like Reuters, Associated Press etc. boycotted IPL at first due to IPL's restrictions .. but then they got on a compromised deal with IPL later on Indian news channels also had problems last year and IPL did not allow their cheerleaders shots to be shown in news channels if I remember correctly (assuming they are one of the TRP attractions of IPL too) to which some news channels objected.. but then they also came on compromise with IPL as they allowed the rest of the news this year also the same thing will happen IMO where the news channels will compromise after sometime because they cannot afford to miss at least 6 hours of masala news for 45 days .. I think they also want the cheerleader shots as that also help in TRP of their channels :giggle:

Guest DeveGowda
Yes it happened last year too .. foreign news agencies like Reuters, Associated Press etc. boycotted IPL at first due to IPL's restrictions .. but then they got on a compromised deal with IPL later on Indian news channels also had problems last year and IPL did not allow their cheerleaders shots to be shown in news channels if I remember correctly (assuming they are one of the TRP attractions of IPL too) to which some news channels objected.. but then they also came on compromise with IPL as they allowed the rest of the news this year also the same thing will happen IMO where the news channels will compromise after sometime because they cannot afford to miss at least 6 hours of masala news for 45 days .. I think they also want the cheerleader shots as that also help in TRP of their channels :giggle:
this time the problem is IPL regulations are very strict.. They are not allowing Live telecast (Most of time news channels just turn into live sports ) also some other regulations which will make news channels less attarctive.. Still Cricket and IPL are bigger in india than Media..so they have to compromise...

this time the problem is IPL regulations are very strict.. They are not allowing Live telecast (Most of time news channels just turn into live sports ) also some other regulations which will make news channels less attarctive.. Still Cricket and IPL are bigger in india than Media..so they have to compromise...
why will they allow live telecast ... it is wrong and I am with IPL in that.. they have sold exclusive rights to Sony for thousands of crores and if they allow live telecast for news channels then obviously Sony will feel cheated.. I am with them regarding live telecast.. the news channels can show scores and a few wickets etc. and that is fine I suppose .. live telecast should not be allowed and it is absolutely right to deny news channels doing so