Sehwag proves once again: Batting Strike rate matters a heck in tests.

patriot

Sehwag moving to 5 would not be a bad idea, esp once SRT retires. His hand eye co ord isnt going to be the same as he enters the mid 30's and he might well be better off not facing the new ball. If a Vijar/GG and top order can lay a platform itll be great for him to come in to. OTOH if there is a top order collapse, we do need someone who can consolidate, and thatd be him and likely Yuvraj at 6....

ROFL at someone taking a satire piece seriously. :rofl:
Satire, sarchasm or whatever you may call it, there is a fact in it. For an opener, 67 balls per inning is pretty low, especially, when you consider the many double-hundreds and the couple of triple hundreds Sehwag has to his credit. In a couple of years when our middle order goes through a transformation, opening with Sehwag could be a risky proposition. My point is why wait until that happens when you have Vijay to open with GG and a weak link - waiting to be replaced - in Yuvraj in the middle order. Gilchrist was a great success coming down the order for Australia. His destructive batting helped turned the tide in their favor after mini-collapses many a time.

Thats about as useless a statistic as one can bring up really. If Sehwag has faces 67 balls every innings (on average, as you are claiming), India will have gotten a terrific start every single game as there isn't a single side on this planet that can make him score at less than 100% S/R after he reaches 25-30 deliveries.

Thats about as useless a statistic as one can bring up really. If Sehwag has faces 67 balls every innings (on average' date=' as you are claiming), India will have gotten a terrific start every single game as there isn't a single side on this planet that can make him score at less than 100% S/R after he reaches 25-30 deliveries.[/quote'] If you had read the previous posts you would know the point. It is about how effective Sehwag has been in seeing off the new ball. We are okay now with Rahul Dravid coming in at No.3, what happens after he retires? I wish people take the time to think before they trash a post.

Nope, I honestly believe it is trash because "seeing off the new ball" was the requirement 30 years ago - not anymore. Right now, all the batsman just need to score, and score them quickly. We've got an opener who's brutally efficient at that. I dont see the need to "see off the new ball" if you're thrash it to all parts of the ground, and the ball (and the bowling attack!) is jaded anyway.

Nope' date=' I honestly believe it is trash because "seeing off the new ball" was the requirement 30 years ago - not anymore. Right now, all the batsman just need to score, and score them quickly. We've got an opener who's brutally efficient at that. I dont see the need to "see off the new ball" if you're thrash it to all parts of the ground, and the ball (and the bowling attack!) is jaded anyway.[/quote'] Good teams are not as easily demoralized as you think these days.

Really? I think he's had more than a demoralizing effect on the Aussies seeing as he has dominated them home and away more than once this decade - and they were the best team for the good part of the last 10 years. SA was bludgeoned this tour, and then there was the 319. He's the only one to average more than 50 against SA from this team, I believe. I think he has it in him to thrash the SA bowling even in SA conditions.

Really? I think he's had more than a demoralizing effect on the Aussies seeing as he has dominated them home and away more than once this decade - and they were the best team for the good part of the last 10 years. SA was bludgeoned this tour' date=' and then there was the 319. He's the only one to average more than 50 against SA from this team, I believe. I think he has it in him to thrash the SA bowling even in SA conditions.[/quote'] Crap, you're missing the point completely. The 319 came on a pitch that was as flat as marble. We would not have lost the Ahmedabad test in that series if our openers were able to see the new ball away on the first day morning. Teams know that even if Sehwag gets out for 60 odd runs, they still have a chance with the ball still fairly new to make dents in the middle order.
Thats about as useless a statistic as one can bring up really. If Sehwag has faces 67 balls every innings (on average' date=' as you are claiming), India will have gotten a terrific start every single game as there isn't a single side on this planet that can make him score at less than 100% S/R after he reaches 25-30 deliveries.[/quote'] I do beleive he has a valid point. We have the luxury of having batsmen of the caliber of Dravid and Sachin in the middle order. But in their absence our newbies are all at sea against a new ball
Balls faced/inning by top opening batsmen in recent times. GKirsten: 105 GGambhir: 101 Strauss: 87 Hayden: 85 Langer: 84 GSmith: 83 Sehwag: 67
You play any form of cricket to score maximum runs, not with the intent to consume maximum balls. What matter more is Runs/innings by top batsmen. :winky: Sehwag: 51.46 SRT: 49.61 Ponting: 49.41 In any case the 66 odd balls on average that Sehwag consumes..will garner about 66 odd runs and about 10 good whacks to the fence, good enough to leave the ball in the same condition, that your more conservative opener will lend by " seeing it off", like you desperately want. Only that conservative opener would have scored only half the runs in that period. :hysterical: And then, there is Gambhir also at the end other end to see off some delieveries...or do you expect Sehwag to seee of the ball at both ends. :hysterical:
You play any form of cricket to score maximum runs, not with the intent to consume maximum balls. What matter more is Runs/innings by top batsmen. :winky: Sehwag: 51.46 SRT: 49.61 Ponting: 49.41 In any case the 66 odd balls on average that Sehwag consumes..will garner about 66 odd runs and about 10 good whacks to the fence, good enough to leave the ball in the same condition, that your more conservative opener will lend by " seeing it off", like you desperately want. Only that conservative opener would have scored only half the runs in that period. :hysterical: And then, there is Gambhir also at the end other end to see off some delieveries...or do you expect Sehwag to seee of the ball at both ends. :hysterical:
If you think the red ball loses shine with "10 good whacks", you don't know zilch. We won the England 2007 series with two openers who were consistent in seeing off the new ball. I am not saying Jaffer or Karthik is in any way better than Sehwag but in that series their opening partnerships ensured our middle order did not have to face the new ball. Sehwag's average balls faced/inning would be worse if not for the two triple hundreds.