Harbhajan blasts the media-wallahs

Guest Hiten.

About ****ing time eh ?

Discretion has never been a quality associated with Harbhajan Singh and, after the euphoria of helping India to a series-levelling innings win came the outpouring of anger. Having sprinted more than halfway to the boundary to make his point to the media gallery, he didn't mince words at the press conference that followed. "I have been hearing a lot of things from them [the media], but today they were on the receiving end," he said in response to an unrelated question. "They should be getting that kind of treatment because they should know what to play on national television and what not to play. We play for our country with a lot of passion and it disappoints all the players sometimes to see what characters they make out of us. If I don't do well on the ground they will show us as 3 Idiots (a Bollywood flick). Harbhajan is one of the idiots, MS Dhoni is the other:WTF:. That is not right. I know it sounds funny but it is not. "It's a shame and it should not be done. But if that is the way you want to sell your programmes, we are not worried about that. I was there for a bigger purpose. I was playing for my country, which means more than anything else for me. I won a game for my country and that is a special feeling."

Some of the Indian team members are obviously quite peeved at the mis characterization and portrayal of them by certain sections of the media. But should Bhajji have a public spat with them over the issue? I am not sure. If his intention is to make his point against some crappy journalism, he's probably succeeded in that. But if thinks this is going to make those 'journalists' rethink their approach, then he has got it wrong. If anything, they will intensify their efforts going forward, now that they know Bhajji pays attention to what they 'report'. But in a way, it was good that he gave them what they deserved. Even stoic silence can sometimes be misconstrued for passive acceptance. But did anyone notice, ICF is such an accurate snapshot of the general cricket viewing populace. After Nagpur, the usual bhajji baiters were out, sharpening their swords and having a no-holds-barred go at him. Now that he has delivered, a big proportion of those voices have gone silent. Of course, there's the dignified group that has not been loathe to eating humble pie in public and praising him for his efforts, but a big proportion of his critics have chosen the easy path - Silence. Whats the bet that the next time he's under pressure to perform, the same set of people will be out again, with the same set of adjectives. :winky: Quite frankly, some of criticisms directed at Bhajji after Nagpur was shocking. Sure, if you want to make a cricketing point against him based on his performance on the field, go ahead and do it. But if your only intent is to slander a senior India cricketer left, right and center, then whats the difference b/w these Indian 'fans' and those Pakistani trolls.

Prem Panicker's response:

In all of this, Harbhajan’s role has come under greatest scrutiny — and rightly so. All said and done, the exit of Anil Kumble pushed the off spinner into the position of India’s lead bowler. While no one expects that he will run through every side he comes up against, on every wicket he plays on, there is at least the bare minimum expectation that he will perform at all times like the leader of an attack [Kumble, incidentally, is the perfect example you could find for this -- throughout his career, he earned the respect of his international opponents because, as Steve Waugh once said, "There is never a time when Kumble is not coming at you hard"]. It is this expectation Bajji hasn’t fulfilled as much as he is capable of, and it is this that has fueled criticism in the past, and will again. .............. Congratulations on the five-for and for winning the game for your country and ours, dude — but you need to get that hype is the function of your press agent, it is not the business of the media or of the fans. If your bowling gets praised when you do well, it is equally apt to get slammed when you do badly — as at Nagpur. To avoid the media when things are not going well, and to then come out firing when you do something good, smacks of immaturity. And again, on this a good example to emulate would be Anil-bhai, who you clearly respect — despite winning more games for India than any other bowler of whatever kind, Anil has repeatedly been slammed for being ineffective, and he has invariably tackled such criticism with grace and good humor, while never once crowing when he was on top.
http://prempanicker.wordpress.com/2010/02/19/testing-tolerance/

What a fantastic interview! PAYBACK!!! About bloody time! Sachinism...I don't think he knew where he was running too...it was an explosion of triumph, undirected...but asked to be shared. The pic on cricinfo is a nice on...look at it...he is carrying Ishant on his back and Laxman is tappig/ pushing them along....and Bhajji is roaring. What a pic!

I think it's always a bad idea to get into a war with the media. Media criticism comes with fame. Especially when you are a cricketer or an actor. He has to learn to deal with it. And I think Harbhajan has bowled bad enough in phases to earn some criticism. The media may have gone overboard as they usually do, but to try to get back to them so directly is foolish.

what are u trying to imply here Do you mean to say, not to criticize any crap he keeps dishing out Offcourse, as a Indian cricket fan, i am well in my right to criticize any player for their bad performance and appreciate good performance and some fanatics are going to keep bumping after every good performance doesnt mean a thing, its not going to change any of the history i ask u, isn't that something which is expected from a talented bowler, has he done something superhuman effort and what do you expect, his critics to come and apologize everytime after his good performance ?? no one had any personal agenda to pull down a player, they get peeved when his bad performance lets down the team He keeps dishing out crap, he is going to be criticized, happens to every player Haven't you criticized any player anytime and taken every damn bad performance very graciously ps. i am talking about a normal cricket fan like me, and not the media

But did anyone notice, ICF is such an accurate snapshot of the general cricket viewing populace. After Nagpur, the usual bhajji baiters were out, sharpening their swords and having a no-holds-barred go at him. Now that he has delivered, a big proportion of those voices have gone silent. Of course, there's the dignified group that has not been loathe to eating humble pie in public and praising him for his efforts, but a big proportion of his critics have chosen the easy path - Silence. Whats the bet that the next time he's under pressure to perform, the same set of people will be out again, with the same set of adjectives. :winky: Quite frankly, some of criticisms directed at Bhajji after Nagpur was shocking. Sure, if you want to make a cricketing point against him based on his performance on the field, go ahead and do it. But if your only intent is to slander a senior India cricketer left, right and center, then whats the difference b/w these Indian 'fans' and those Pakistani trolls.
Sorry, disagree Domaink. Media are scum mostly. Bottom feeders. Play to the lowest common denominator. Anyone who takes it to them deserves a medal!
I am not supporting the media. I am saying it's a bad idea because it gets messy. Certain media agencies can stoop down to unimaginable low standards. It's bound to get ugly at some point. The best response to media is to ignore them. They are attention seekers. If they get attention, positive or negative, they feed on it and demand for more. For them, no publicity is bad publicity.

Well, we make arrogant statements when we do nothing at all...why just extend the yardstick to him eh? You want him to make "arrogant" statements when he is down and out? I don't see them as "arrogant". I see them as payback! PAYBACK! Put yourself in an Indian Cricketers shoes for a while and think. Then you may not be too critical.