Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010

Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010  

1. 1.

• With an Hour Left Today
    • Tomorrow After Lunch
    • Other

ARGH! I wanted India to bat out SA and score around 550ish. India had to make use of the batting advantage on Day 2 and 3 pitch, I really hope we can somehow stretch our batting till the tea. A lead of 150-200 is what I am expecting/looking at.

Manjrekar is a two-faced fickle *****, who would in no time start questioning the players' caliber as soon as his forms dips. I never take anything seriously when this bastard gives out his opinion. As I said earlier, had Sehwag not played a rash shot in the first innings at Nagpur there would have been talks about dull and boring draw. His centuries not only come faster but are bulkier. The faster you wipe out your deficit or get closer to opponents' score, the more pressure you put on them. This man is sheer genius :hail:
haha cos he criticized Tendulkar ?

Realistic lead? Guys. What do you think should be enough lead that we can get with remaining batting line? In my view, the first two seasons are quite easy to bat on so, we should try to extend the lead beyond 200. This way we can safely win this game, even by an innings but at least it gives us sufficient control. Dhoni needs to take the responsibility along with VVS and take us beyond 490. Not whole lot to ask, just another 150 with 50+ from Dhoni and VVS. Looking forward for Day 3. B->B->

All things considered, I would be happy with a lead of 100 from here. The tailenders can be blown away by Steyn pretty quickly and neither Dhoni nor VVS has a good record against SA. Unfortunately both Veeru and SRT got out with just 15-20 minutes left on day 2. That has given South Africa a chance to get back into this game unfortunately. If even one had made it through, things would have been different. Of course I will be hoping VVS or Dhoni makes a decent score and we can stretch the lead to 150+, but realistically, 100 would be decent from this position. As for chances of winning...well let's not forget for large chunks of this series the bowling has been a one man show. Should the Saffers get off to a good start things could get pretty ominous for us.

actually this could be good for India. If we survive initial spell from Styen and Morkel especially if Laxman and Dhoni survive. they will ball only 12 hour in an hour. There were 5 overs behind today, they took 5 wickets and each wicket means 4 mins time deducted, so each wicket is equal to an over. By the first hour, they will be 8 hours behind, and Smith will have no choice but to use spinners just like Ponting had to in Perth and Nagpur.

Smith is very dangerous in such situations & he is due for a big one ..hope Zaheer can take care of him ' date=' one last time ![/quote'] This is true, especially if they rip through us quickly tomorrow morning, the momentum will be with them and Smith can really race away and knock off the lead in no time...damn, this could go all very wrong from the high of 330/2 with SRT/Veeru battering them around...

With the old ball reversing, morning conditions helping the fast bowlers and a new ball due in a few overs we would have batted very well to get a lead of 150. I doubt that happens though, SA have the bowlers to fully exploit the conditions and the new ball and our tailenders including Mishra aren't going to put up much of a resistence against the new ball. The partnership of VVS and Dhoni is the crucial one.