M.F. Hussain accepts Qatar citizenship

Texy

But my dad told me that my god was secure enough not to get riled up by what mere mortals paint..my dad told me that god has a much important job of looking after the world and stop a few wars...hmmm... There is also a law against pre marital sex and sodomy....Lets put that poor teenage girl whose nude SMS got released in Delhi thro' the same process MF Hussain has been subjected to, shall we!! Since, both of them broke the outdated law of the land (since both are not heinous crimes, i guess both law can be equated to about the same nature)
Well, your dad was quite right (to some extent). But dont expect the common followers to be equally wise. The masses are insecure and crazy and this is the way they react. Like someone pointed out, if some known painter had painted Mary having sex or Jesus humping an animal, the western world would have reacted far more aggressively. We dont live in a perfect world where perfect citizens think perfect and act perfect. We live in a world where emotions and sentiments can be hurt very easily. And what archaic law? Respecting each others faiths and ways of life is archaic? If we remove that law, we will find ourselves in the most barbaric society.

Well, your dad was quite right (to some extent). But dont expect the common followers to be equally wise. The masses are insecure and crazy and this is the way they react. Like someone pointed out, if some known painter had painted Mary having sex or Jesus humping an animal, the western world would have reacted far more aggressively. We dont live in a perfect world where perfect citizens think perfect and act perfect. We live in a world where emotions and sentiments can be hurt very easily. And what archaic law? Respecting each others faiths and ways of life is archaic? If we remove that law, we will find ourselves in the most barbaric society.
There is a Broadway musical in which Mary is a ***** or something like that. There are numerous tv shows in the US that depicts horrible things about Jesus and just last week Elton John said that Jesus was gay. Did US hound or threaten anyone who did this? Its only 3rd world that craps on opinion on religion. Whats not archaic about this law? While i agree that riling up masses should be unlawful but only to the extent in which someone is trying to incite violence. Something like opinion should not be banned esp since its just a painting. Its ironic since religion itself is just an opinion.

But my dad told me that my god was secure enough not to get riled up by what mere mortals paint..my dad told me that god has a much important job of looking after the world and stop a few wars...hmmm... There is also a law against pre marital sex and sodomy....Lets put that poor teenage girl whose nude SMS got released in Delhi thro' the same process MF Hussain has been subjected to, shall we!! Since, both of them broke the outdated law of the land (since both are not heinous crimes, i guess both law can be equated to about the same nature)
There is no law against pre marital sex as long as both are adult and consent.(In India) The law against consensual sodomy is also changing.

There is a Broadway musical in which Mary is a ***** or something like that. There are numerous tv shows in the US that depicts horrible things about Jesus and just last week Elton John said that Jesus was gay. Did US hound or threaten anyone who did this? Its only 3rd world that craps on opinion on religion. Whats not archaic about this law? While i agree that riling up masses should be unlawful but only to the extent in which someone is trying to incite violence. Something like opinion should not be banned esp since its just a painting. Its ironic since religion itself is just an opinion.
People have different sensibilities in different regions. Just because they accept something doesn't mean we have to do the same. Those people also accept their country going to war and bombing other countries as a right.....we would never accept that kind of action from ours.

It's not about the opinion, it's the way of expression. What opinion was expressed with a goddess sodomizing an animal knowing fully well that it would infuriate the followers? Cant you see where it can head? Next a Hindu expresses his opinion on Islam in a similar way and in no time we will have riots fueled by opportunistic political parties. Is that what we want? Religion is sensitive and we have to ask people to be subtle when expressing negative opinions because. If someone goes to the road and screams his negative opinion on Islam describing graphically how they are involved in acts of sodomy, do you think the police will arrest me or will they come and give me protection from anyone who may not like my opinion?

That's right. Though there is a law against extramarital sex for men which I think needs to change fast.
That has also been changed.Even when it was there...there were hardly any cases of people being punished for it accept in the armed forces where it is still considered a serious offence and usually the punishment is dismissal from the forces.

That has also been changed.Even when it was there...there were hardly any cases of people being punished for it accept in the armed forces where it is still considered a serious offence and usually the punishment is dismissal from the forces.
That's a relief...:D

C'mon MTC, it's like saying "Since you sleep with your wife, whats the big deal if others sleep with her?" Besides, there is a difference between Hinduism as a religion and Indian art, culture and history. Ajanta, Alora and Kamasutra are not part of Hindu mythology. Ajanta and Alora are examples of art. Kamasutra teaches ways of making love and does not defame any religion or community in doing so. You may present Hussain as a 95 years nobody with a brush, but in reality he is one of the foremost painters in the world whose painting will not only be seen, appreciated and analyzed by art lovers around the world, but also the paintings and what has been expressed in them will probably live for centuries. Besides, just because Kamasutra was written by a Hindu pundit (which only teaches the art of making love), it does not give a license to everyone to depict the gods and goddesses (hate to express that term in plural) in nude and explicit poses. The Hindu mythology does not describe Durga or Saraswati or any other God or Goddess as nude or as having sex with anyone in any way. A normal human being would not like to see him sister or mother of wife painted nude and projected to the entire world. How can you expect them not to react when the same is done to their Gods? Would one not react if his sister/mother/wife is painted nude or photographed nude by someone or if someone says derogatory things about them? God and Goddesses have even bigger place in peoples lives and in a civilized society, we live together by respecting each others faiths, beliefs and practices even if we dont agree with them. What Hussain did was in bad taste no doubt and the paintings would have been ignored if they came from the nukkad paanwala, but coming from a famed painter, they were bound to make noise. I am not trying to justify the way the protests were made by some of the extremists, but there was good reason for the Hindus to be hurt and protest. And the system should have been able to stop the nonsense.
The Kamasutra depicts the love making of Shiv and Parvati and its them depicted in different poses. Even in Ajantha and Khajurao, certain deities are depicted in such forms.

The Kamasutra depicts the love making of Shiv and Parvati and its them depicted in different poses. Even in Ajantha and Khajurao' date=' certain deities are depicted in such forms.[/quote']What has that got to do with anything? Its not like these pictures are worshipped in Indian temples. By that logic, Aurangzeb destroyed the Mathura and Banares temples and built mosques in their place which are till today tolerated by the Hindus - so does that imply that is justified for Muslims to destroy temples and build mosques on top of them today? 500 years ago there was caste discrimination, but today it is illegal. Society has evolved. We have different laws and they need to be respected. There is no justification for MF Hussain based on what was done a thousand years ago. I am sure there are paintings and literature from ancient time which extoll caste discrimination but that does not mean that these things will be allowed today.

For 25 long years no one's "sentiments" were hurt. It took lunatics from Shiv Sena to wake up the Hinduism of Hindus?
That doesn't mean nobody should get offended now just because it was ok 25 years ago. Slavery was legal 200 years ago ethically with papal consent, and we can't continue to practice it just because it was ok then.

What has that got to do with anything? Its not like these pictures are worshipped in Indian temples. By that logic, Aurangzeb destroyed the Mathura and Banares temples and built mosques in their place which are till today tolerated by the Hindus - so does that imply that is justified for Muslims to destroy temples and build mosques on top of them today? 500 years ago there was caste discrimination, but today it is illegal. Society has evolved. We have different laws and they need to be respected. There is no justification for MF Hussain based on what was done a thousand years ago. I am sure there are paintings and literature from ancient time which extoll caste discrimination but that does not mean that these things will be allowed today.
Kamasutra, Ajantha and Ellora are a huge part of our past, where very popular and respected among our ancestors and not some aberration as you suggest. they are a restriction of a permissive, broad minded society which was matured in the way they dealt with topics of sexuality, nudity and religion Have we really evolved or regressed as a society?

It's not about the opinion, it's the way of expression. What opinion was expressed with a goddess sodomizing an animal knowing fully well that it would infuriate the followers? Cant you see where it can head? Next a Hindu expresses his opinion on Islam in a similar way and in no time we will have riots fueled by opportunistic political parties. Is that what we want? ?
If all artists, creators and inventors had thought like that, we would never have had renaissance, never had discovered/admitted that the earth revolves around the sun and wpuld not have had some of the most beautiful works of art

How many of you seriously believe that you can get away in North America or Europe with a painting of a naked Jesus humping a farm animal? The reason I bring this up is to point out that people still have strong religious sentiments and there is no point in offending them. It applies equally to all religions. I am equally not in favour of either Hussain's paintings or Rushdie's satanic verses.
Larry Flint has been doing that in Penthouse forever.

if you are against MF hussain, you should be against the Danish cartoon guys too? If not there is something wrong. Me I dont give a flying rats ***** abt mf hussain or the danish cartoon thing, if you believe something keep it to yourself, it doesnt mean that others have to respect that. I have seen so many people criticizing others for being PC, why do you expect MF hussain or any other PC with your beliefs? Tomorrow I start a religion with a million followers where we consider cauliflower holy, and pass a decree that eating cauliflower is evil and cannot be done, will all of you stop eating cauliflower?

Then why not destroy the temples of Ajantha Ellora, Kamasutra, etc because they do the same thing Gee hinduism must be the weakest religion in the wolrd if it gets hurt by a 95 year old man wielding a paint brush How is the strength and weakness of a religion measured? Not by the sheer number of followers but by the strength of faith and the tolerance of its followers. Buddhism is one of the strongest religion because its the most tolerant. So is hinduism. its only people who are insecure about their identity and religion who see a threat from every side. Hinduism is the oldest religion and has seen and survived all. it doesnt need defending by a bunch of rabid followers. i will give you an example of what hinduism stands for and why despite the british rule, India still managed to remain a hindu majority country Once General Dyers was with a catholic priest who was preaching to a village in South India. He was getting frusturated that he was not able to get the message across and convert even one of them. Then he did something, which shocked General Dyers. At that time they were alone without any soldiers surrounded by thousands of villagers. The priest took a Shiv Ling, placed it on one side of a weighing scale and said, "This is a useless stone which you worship, it can be used only to weigh meat and not for prayer". The villagers calmly looked on, (not because they were scared of General Dyers, it was the first time he was visiting). The priest turned to Dyers and said, "These people can never be converted. People who have such faith in their religion that they can calmly watch as someone tries to put it down can never be made to change their mind. In thier minds their religion is untouchable, unchangable and a truth which humans cant affect. The only people who convert are the ones who have doubt in their mind. This doubt leads to fear, then to anger and finally to retaliation. Then they discard their religion because they are insecure. But not these people" That was my India and my hinduism. Not the hinduism which is afraid of an old man in his nineties or a painting or an article on the internet. This is the same kind of defensive thinking, literal interpretation and insecurity that led Islam to the state it is now in the world. The Taliban is scared of the statue of Buddha, of an unveiled women, of short trousers, of girl education and they try to blow everything away. now we are scared of a couple of paintings affecting our faith. Must be a very weak faith indeed
Go for it man! Hum aapke saath hain :clap: In your face loony brigade:finger:

if you are against MF hussain, you should be against the Danish cartoon guys too? If not there is something wrong. Me I dont give a flying rats ***** abt mf hussain or the danish cartoon thing, if you believe something keep it to yourself, it doesnt mean that others have to respect that. I have seen so many people criticizing others for being PC, why do you expect MF hussain or any other PC with your beliefs? Tomorrow I start a religion with a million followers where we consider cauliflower holy, and pass a decree that eating cauliflower is evil and cannot be done, will all of you stop eating cauliflower?
OMG Gobi is my favorite :fear:

I dont agree to it .. we may not be the Taliban but there are rules in every sane society which should be followed .. I dont give a damn if he is the world's greatest artist but what he did is absolutely wrong .. this is where many people make the mistake of not understanding freedom .. freedom does not mean absolute freedom but there are limitations .. freedom does not mean that people would roam around fully naked tomorrow and that is fine .. everything should be within religious and national sentiments and no person or party no matter how powerful or popular he/they/she is has any right to hurt any sentiments .. there are things acceptable in the modern society but that should not be outside the limits .. let him go to Qatar or to Haiti and I dont care but his art was nowhere within acceptable limits
And thank heavens that Artists and Scientists dont really care about "rules" and "sane" societies. Else we would still be living in Medieval Age with "sane rules" that Earth is the center of everything and sun revolves around it. Artists are the ones that push the envelope. Has always been like this. Saadat Hasan Manto was the biggest critic of what he would consider as rules that held modern Muslims backward. 50-60 years later his works are not only celebrated but are a testament as to what has gone wrong with Islamic society. I can throw out many other examples as well if you would like to know. Of course there are other extremes - Arundhati Roy for example. But you take both good and bad and if you dont like something you disagree and leave it at that. Thats what makes us a civil society and you a civil person. xxx