Bopara develops cold feet, says IPL "not worth dying for"

HowardRoark

Latest... England's Cricketers' Association claims that IPL commissioner Lalit Modi and the franchises are "bugging players like crazy". It said they want players to commit participation in the lucrative Twenty20 event but are refusing to acknowledge their security fears. "It has been a most frustrating period because guys feel thwarted and partly angry because of the way Lalit has chosen to spin it as a political move on our part. We cannot seem to get it into his head that we are genuinely interested in the safety of the players," he fumed. http://www.espnstar.com/cricket/indian-premier-league/news/detail/item406029/%22Modi,-IPL-franchises-bugging-players%22/

Quote from the article posted above:

Smith said the firm handling IPL's security was up to mark but the players' bodies were looking for assurances from the government of India.
WTF will govt. of India assure anybody .. they can provide security to the highest level but WTH will they assure .. will the UK govt. assure anything .. that is ridiculous .. BC saale L Modi is doing the right thing .. nahin chahiye firangi IPL chalane ke liye ... I hate the attitude .. hats off to L Modi and piss off English players .. I dont consider Bopara an Indian and he has shown his true colors .. I dont think all these players of Indian origin like Bopara, Amla, Jeetan Patel etc. are really concerned about India .. I dont blame them for that but at least they should not negate anybody

British media at its best. Why are we even surprised? I'd like to see their reports about how Modi arm-twisted their players to play in the IPL, after these papers and their players get pwned big time by the players who WILL play in the IPL nonetheless.

Dark side is on the west of India...its called pakistan
Funny. But they're humans too man. Sometimes I feel we criticize them too much. :((

Dont any of you feel that the IPL could have cooperated by providing the security arrangements information to the relevant organizations earlier? And that they could have avoided this sort of negative publicity? Or was that all part of a plan? Do not any of you think that the circumstances leading to the newspapers guild deciding to ostracize IPL as saddening? I think Modi needs to tone down on his rhetoric a little bit. Popular opinion only points to the money spun out of the league. But then everything that succeeds is not right. It can be debatable but I believe a venture done right will have more chances of succeeding for a longer time.

British media at its best. Why are we even surprised? I'd like to see their reports about how Modi arm-twisted their players to play in the IPL, after these papers and their players get pwned big time by the players who WILL play in the IPL nonetheless. Funny. But they're humans too man. Sometimes I feel we criticize them too much. :((
The only reason there is a threat on India and IPL is because that country exists

@vortex... 1. The Player Associations are trying to manipulate the IPL, which is equivalent to using the money they don't have. 2. IPL is just paying back the boards in the same coin and giving them the same hard deal India has got for ages. For this, I believe Lalit Modi & BCCI's patriotism deserves to be :isalute: 3. Newspapers and the media will finally come on the bandwagon of the IPL despite these hiccups, which seem to have become a daily feature before any series held in Australia and India.

The only reason there is a threat on India and IPL is because that country exists
C'mon mate. If we think like them, where does the difference lie? We are smart, peace-loving people. We should not stoop under the levels of decency.

Achilles : Why would the player associations want to manipulate the IPL? Where does patriotism come in when it relates to news media rights and provision of security information to security experts? As of now, no news media has jumped on the IPL bandwagon. I will not be surprised if the IPL makes a last minute deal and all is well. All izz well :). I am not saying - dont be proud of the IPL. I am just suggesting that pride is slightly different from the arrogance that Lalit Modi is radiating.

Guest DeveGowda
Achilles : Why would the player associations want to manipulate the IPL? Where does patriotism come in when it relates to news media rights and provision of security information to security experts? As of now, no news media has jumped on the IPL bandwagon. I will not be surprised if the IPL makes a last minute deal and all is well. All izz well :). I am not saying - dont be proud of the IPL. I am just suggesting that pride is slightly different from the arrogance that Lalit Modi is radiating.
I will agree with this.... My thinking is Modi is Not worried too much about Foreign Players association..he doesnt want One to be started in india and become bigger...Do you really think Modi will dismiss players association as easily if Top indian players support association ? I dont Think Modi's Magic will last for more time..Eventually Franchises will become stronger and BCCI grip on IPL may reduced...

1. Its turning into an ego fest. Tim May hates being snubbed and Lalit Modi loves to snub him. 2. Patriotism is not related to news or security. I made the point abt Patriotism in pt.2 w.r.t. IPL's handling of the Players' Associations who have been blowing this whole issue of security out of proportion, which has been proven right by players who have decided to come to India, despite the "concerns" raised by the PA's. 3. I have been vindicated by your opinion here coz you agree that news orgs will agree to a last minute deal with the IPL. So we will catch the action nonetheless. 4. Lalit Modi may be arrogant. But look at where is his larger-than-life image and decision-making has taken Indian cricket. We owe a lot to Lalit Modi. Il Principino will agree with me on this, and so will everyone else. :isalute:

What I will agree with there is that it is turning into an ego fest. But primarily fuelled by Modi and team. In fact I read Tim May being pleased about the security information being shared and it is that act more than anything else which helped the foreign players come over. You never know what might have happened otherwise. Contrary to popular (or should I say populist) opinion, it is not always about success (or the ends). Sometimes it is also about the route you take to get there (the means). Might be old fashioned. So I have no issues if you disagree. In fact I am pretty sure most here will disagree :). The IPL has burst onto the scene like fresh air. It is doing good and it has a lot of backing from the right places. But to keep it going, I do not believe Modi's policies are the right way.

^ I'm a bit "ancient" myself with my opinions on this subject. The journey is just as important as the destination. Modi is an Indian who has felt humiliated over a long period of years (Mr.Bindra has even said it publicly that people from other countries used to laugh at us in the meetings). So its only natural for them to use the power they now have to make it tit for tat. Now whether it is the right thing to or not is a subjective thing. I personally wouldn't but we can imagine the extent to which our present board members might've been "tormented" for them to behave the way they are at the moment. And if IPL does suffer a setback (which is the law of nature), it would be good for Modi, BCCI and the cricket world, coz they'll be back with an even bigger bang. Human nature propels us to come out tops when pulled down the hallows :two_thumbs_up:

Guest DeveGowda
^ I'm a bit "ancient" myself with my opinions on this subject. The journey is just as important as the destination. Modi is an Indian who has felt humiliated over a long period of years (Mr.Bindra has even said it publicly that people from other countries used to laugh at us in the meetings). So its only natural for them to use the power they now have to make it tit for tat. Now whether it is the right thing to or not is a subjective thing. I personally wouldn't but we can imagine the extent to which our present board members might've been "tormented" for them to behave the way they are at the moment. And if IPL does suffer a setback (which is the law of nature), it would be good for Modi, BCCI and the cricket world, coz they'll be back with an even bigger bang. Human nature propels us to come out tops when pulled down the hallows :two_thumbs_up:
Modi and humiliation in same line ? :--D I dont think we have to give too much patritic angle into this....If india need to be Patriotic it has to be with Indian cricket team not IPL... IPL is there for everyone eventhough its called Indian doemstic tourney..even Forign owners comes into picture in future...Modi wanted it to be Global.... If Modi & co are So patriotic they shouldnt have Moved the IPL to SA last year when we had our General elections ...so patriosm is not the First thing in mind of these people.. I donr have problem with modi..but he is not the only person because of whom IPL is Started..