Bradman is the greatest, Sachin comes only second: Waugh, Benaud

Feed

Bradman is the greatest, Sachin comes only second: Waugh, Benaud  

2 members have voted

1. 1.

Well' date=' I don't think [b']they would accept that that player was "greater". Maybe equivalent OR they would say they couldn't be compared.
I don't care if "they" accept or not, I would. I am sure there is still room for improvement in fielding, field placings, planning and strategy. These disciplines will see remarkable changes in the next 50 years and it will require different benchmarks to be set for batting and bowling.
But we never fail to talk about Benaud including Tendulkar in his all time world XI when he is compared with Lara do we? We dont question his nationality then. Aussies respect Tendulkar as well as any other fans. Bradman himself included his name in the all time XI. Oh yea..
You have no idea what Bradman means to the Aussies, do you?
Can i say the same about what Tendulkar means to Indians. You are blaming Benaud being biased. How about you being biased being an Indian fan.
So, at the risk of sounding arrogant, when it comes to comparing Bradman and Tendulkar, his word could only be as good as mine.:--D

Hey Boss... have you tried quantifying the relative values of SRT and Bradman based on how many SuperSelector points they have? The latest inbred theory is that it's the new definitive way to declare a player's superiority. :hysterical: Gotta love it... there are those who actually watch games, those who watch games and then augment what they view with some stats and readings from old cricket lit... and then we have the new cognoscenti with their heads up their asses counting the points in SuperSelector. :rofl:

So' date=' at the risk of sounding arrogant, when it comes to comparing Bradman and Tendulkar, his word could only be as good as mine.:--D[/quote'] There is one big difference. One has been around the game for 70 years, watched over the era's and watched so much more cricket than any of us.
There is one big difference. One has been around the game for 70 years' date=' watched over the era's and watched so much more cricket than any of us.[/quote'] Yes, but who denied that? He is an Australian and Bradman is the Mahatma Gandhi of Australia. It would be difficult for any Aussie, especially those like Benaud who grew up during the time when Bradman was dominating cricket to be rational when comparing Bradman with anyone.
So' date=' at the risk of sounding arrogant, when it comes to comparing Bradman and Tendulkar, his word could only be as good as mine.:--D[/quote'] In that case my view is better than yours as i am an Indian and i rate Bradman above Sachin. Nobody can call me biased :winky:. But i can call you biased.
Yes I do. And yes' date=' that is the only fair way to compare the two batsmen. One was lightyears ahead of the others in his time, and the other was a few weeks ahead (although some would dispute that).[/quote'] Glad you admit Tendulkar is the better batsman. Also note Bradman has no runs in India, SL, Pakistan, SA and Windies! Different era with lack of competition in world cricket. I repeat again in real terms who would you want to bat for your life? Bradman from 30s or Tendulkar from 2010. In reality everyone with their life on the line would choose Tendulkar and frankly any other modern day bat over Bradman. Thus Tendulkar is the greatest of all time.
Yes' date=' but who denied that? He is an Australian and Bradman is the Mahatma Gandhi of Australia. It would be difficult for any Aussie, especially those like Benaud who grew up during the time when Bradman was dominating cricket to be rational when comparing Bradman with anyone.[/quote'] Yeah, the kind of adulation, following, commercial deals, advertising, and popularity that Bradman commanded in the 30s and 40s is in a different league from Tendulkar! :hysterical:

A direct comparison is impossible, who knows how Bradman would have done with modern training regimes, modern batting techniques(video replays of bowlers etc), dietitians, modern bats, modern protective gear. One can only speculate, he may have been an average cricketer, he may still have been the best ever. We will never know.

Thus Tendulkar is the greatest of all time.
No, that logic is stupid. That means that no matter how badly you dominate a sport in your time it counts for nothing in 40 years. By that logic Pele, Ali, Laver and Bradman are all rubbish.
Its not so much about domination but the un-equal standards ... cricket has changed soo much that its simply illogical to say that 100 runs circa 30 = 100 runs today. Sad that we will never know what DGB could do these days but the Bodyline series does give a sample. And in Tendulkars case if we look at his numbers against the easy oppositions ... thats about the best possible way to go about it .... I know the Bradman fanatics will keep arguing about it but the moment they start using smilies in-lieu of logic and reason ... its quite apparant that they have lost the debate.
Bradman's average during the bodyline series is better than Tendulkar's average fullstop. You lost the argument the second you started it, no one, unless they incredibly stupid or bias (I'm not sure which category you fall under - my guess is a bit of both) would ever question that Donald Bradman is the greatest batsmen the world has ever seen. But I guess there’s always some idiot out there who wants to be controversial and argue against it. Yes, cricket has changed, but who says that is has changed to make life harder for the batsmen? How would Tendulkar have gone batting without a helmet, batting with a piece of willow the width of a CD, having to work a full time job whilst not playing, batting without the aid of video analysis, keeping fit without the help of physios or dieticians or having to go to war during the prime of his cricketing career? Why do you continue to say England were minnows or easy opposition? They were the second best team in the bloody world at the time, and Bradman tore them to bits. When was the last time Tendulkar did that to South Africa? So comparing Tendulkar batting on flat wickets against a team which was only granted test status a few years ago (and to this day have only won 3 matches) in not the best possible way to go about it. Bradman fanatics? 95 percent of this forum is Indian (although India and Australia are fierce rivals), yet all but a few can acknowledge that Bradman is the greatest. He was so good that across the front page of London newspapers the words “He’s out!†would appear after a bowler managed to dismiss him. Why is it that every cricket poll ever conducted places him in the number one position? Do you think cricket experts failed to take all this into account? SIGH.
Yeah' date=' the kind of adulation, following, commercial deals, advertising, and popularity that Bradman commanded in the 30s and 40s is in a different league from Tendulkar! :hysterical:[/quote'] As always, you come up with something that is comedic. Keep it up! :two_thumbs_up: Bradman means more to Australians of Benaud's age than you can imagine. If you doubt that Bradman received less adulation than Tendulkar, when Bradman was indeed the only source of cheer in times of depression for his countrymen, then you are clueless to put it mildly. Bradman is the greatest Australian ever, period. If you want to become a naturalized citizen of Australia, you need to know who Bradman is. The stature in which the Australians hold Bradman is comparable only to Mahatma Gandhi's in India.
Bradman's average during the bodyline series is better than Tendulkar's average fullstop. You lost the argument the second you started it, no one, unless they incredibly stupid or bias (I'm not sure which category you fall under - my guess is a bit of both) would ever question that Donald Bradman is the greatest batsmen the world has ever seen. But I guess there’s always some idiot out there who wants to be controversial and argue against it. Yes, cricket has changed, but who says that is has changed to make life harder for the batsmen? How would Tendulkar have gone batting without a helmet, batting with a piece of willow the width of a CD, having to work a full time job whilst not playing, batting without the aid of video analysis, keeping fit without the help of physios or dieticians or having to go to war during the prime of his cricketing career? Why do you continue to say England were minnows or easy opposition? They were the second best team in the bloody world at the time, and Bradman tore them to bits. When was the last time Tendulkar did that to South Africa? So comparing Tendulkar batting on flat wickets against a team which was only granted test status a few years ago (and to this day have only won 3 matches) in not the best possible way to go about it. Bradman fanatics? 95 percent of this forum is Indian (although India and Australia are fierce rivals), yet all but a few can acknowledge that Bradman is the greatest. He was so good that across the front page of London newspapers the words “He’s out!” would appear after a bowler managed to dismiss him. Why is it that every cricket poll ever conducted places him in the number one position? Do you think cricket experts failed to take all this into account? SIGH.
Would you like to take a look at the results of a recent Guardian poll? Nasser Hussain, Richard Hadlee and Sunil Gavaskar are not cricket experts? Who did they pick as the greatest of all time?