Is this finally the end for Kaif?

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif? I dont think Kaif will ever go away, not because of his performance, more because of his sheer luck factor. The last 3 years he was always on the verge of being thrown out, but somehow managed to cling onto his spot. Tho, i think this time around his chances look bleak, if u consider that: a) Dravid will return b) Yuvraj is gonna return by world cup. c) Ganguly will likely return for the world cup. d) Mongia will likely get a longer rope & will most likely play the worldcup. There is simply no room for Kaif in the worldcup lineup. In tests, a lot depends on how we fare this time around. After world cup, hey may figure in our ODI lineup again, given Tendu, Gangs are gonna retire from ODIs & some room will be made axing the non performers.

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif? i believe you have a 16 man squad for world cup. so my guess is the break up will be 4 seamers,2 spinners, 2 allrounder, 2 keeper and 6 batsman. Incase mongia takes one alrounder slot over powar then i see kaif making it back for world cup. Also lets not forget he was the only one who had a good series at WI when we went there.

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif? I think he will b right back in the mix... once u have made some decent scores in between all your failures and u have played as many matches as he has..he will always not really out of it...unless we find 2 or 3 guys who brust to the scene.. kaif had played some good matches..he is young..good fielder..so age does not rule him out.. new guys will b given a chance but if they fail then there will always b kaif..

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif?

We will have 2 or even 3 open test slots after world cup. kaif would get his chance even after the return of yuvraj and selection of rao and badrinath.
The way we are going, jf1, even you might get a chance if you get in line.

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif? Don't know what's his age but surely he will be back and I won't be surprised if he will even captain India in future. Yuvi, Kaif and Dhoni will be seniors by the time Rahul, Tendy, Gang, Lax will all retire. Kaif is a fighter and will make a come back. Whether he will be consistent in ODIs is anyone's guess. I would like to have him in the test team though.

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif? yeah what a lucky cricketer Kaif is. on his comeback to Test cricket vs England he hits 91 first try and is dropped for the rest of the series. as always the classier player gets his place. anyway a couple of months later he grabs his opportunity with a 46* and 148*... 2 Tests down the line he again has to make way out of the squad for "classier and hence higher potential" players this sort of mistreatment would crush lesser men. look at aakash chopra, after being left out of the Test squad because "yuvraj is india's great hope as opener" (how did that work out). he was so crushed he didnt even make his State team in Ranji for a year, and got by playing league (not county, league) cricket in England and writing columns for HT. 2 years later he has finally found his cojones and is showing us what he can do. more power to him, he has gone through a test of character. same for Kaif. his whole damn career has been a test of character. reports are that his house has been attacked 6 times this past 10 days when he is in SA, add to that the injustice of not getting a place in the odis (he has missed 6 out of 11 games since scoring 3 50s in WI) and then being dropped from the Test squad, and you have the makings of a nervous breakdown. the man will learn from this and come back strong, trust me. i have seen few players display the vibrant type of team spirit he does. in fact our cricketing culture has no time for his sort of player, instead we look under rocks for the next tendulkar. Kaif took a few bad beats this time last year too. what he did was take control of his domestic team UP and lead them from the jaws of relegation to the winning trophy. i hope he does the same this year and learn from his coach and give a few naysayers the middle finger salute.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Is this finally the end for Kaif?

Kaif has limitations as a batsman but he comes across as a fighter on this quality alone i would have him in test team. He is out cause we want a couple of useless batsman who will be bounced out so be it.
dinesh mongia is not only fighter but also has more compact technique than kaif..