Opening the bowling with spinners in IPL

gaurav92

This has become a trend actually to stop the ball coming on to the bat nicely for the stroke players and hard hitters, and make it a little tough for them to play by using the pace of the ball and chip it over the in field.Most captains have chosen this strategy against the hard hitters and have been so far successful.But what i feel is that its not just opening the bowling with spinners, its occupied the mindset of the batsman.They are not prepared to play a spinner early on, and from no where he has to face the spinner early on, before he gets his eye in.This troubles most of the batsman and has also fetched some wickets But my question is, cant the batsman play out one over from the spinner and respect him, if hes bowling well, and try and go for the strokes of the other bowler rather than trying to smack the spinner hard, straight away before even getting settled.Its like throwing your wicket away.Hayden and Gilly have been targeted by Yusuf, and Bhajji respectively.Even Mishraji has opened the bowling for DD with success.

Actually its the batsman's mistake to go after the bowler before getting their eye in.Its not that in a T20 one cant defend in the poweroplays, one can easily eat out one over with singles and get their eye in and then capitalize after adapting to the pitch conditions, bounce and turn if any.

But my question is, cant the batsman play out one over from the spinner and respect him, if hes bowling well, and try and go for the strokes of the other bowler rather than trying to smack the spinner hard, straight away before even getting settled.Its like throwing your wicket away.Hayden and Gilly have been targeted by Yusuf, and Bhajji respectively.Even Mishraji has opened the bowling for DD with success.
Batsmen are little stiff at the start. When the bowlers provide pace they can use it at the start. Worse case spinnners will go for lot of runs. Best case they can slip in a over without giving away much or getting a wicket. Just a gamble. But you should take this gamble against right batsman. If Yousuf pathan opens and you take this gamble against him it will backfire big time.