Are you in the right occupation

Rajiv

Re: Are you in the right occupation i never wanted to be an engineer but i am now an engineer... i wanted to be a big shot, world renowned Doctor... could not clear my DPMT exams.. so i changed my dream and now want to be an IAS officer...no less...and i am working on realizing this dream... also after retirement i want to be in politics.. i want to be an MP fron chapra ( Bihar).. :hic: i never wanted to be a pilot but always was interested in being trained as fighter pilot..so that if need or chance comes my way..i could bomb few cities of pakistan.. :hic:

Re: Are you in the right occupation Good topic - ah the memories. Well here goes - typical boring bit really: When I was very young - just wanted to play cricket for India. Had I continued playing seriously people did think I was very good but I didn't - hormones started interfering. I wonder had I continued playing then may be I would be in WI right now. :shrug: Astronaut - huge interest in space and exploration etc. Civil Engineer - Wanted to build the biggest bridge ever. Still love all stuff about big building, bridges, building dams etc. Then reality set in - wasn't clever enough & some how ended up in IT. Didn't get good enough A levels for Civil Engineering but suprising they were fine for IT. Shows how much they know. :hic: Now after so many years still IT but just working rather than enjoying it. I have been told I am good at what I do therefore I do it. What would I like to do now? Good question - even if I say so myself. I don't have any ambitions like own my business or become a manager etc. What I would really like to do is retire (I am still young) and concentrate on 'spirituality' but need to be really focused for this. Hopefully, one day when I stop visiting this board - you will know that I have actively started pursuing my needs. That's enough from me. Hope I haven't bored anyone. The topic just got me going. Sorry.

Re: Are you in the right occupation 1)Wanted to become a train driver......(but i hate travelling :chin: ) 2)Airhostess(thought i could eat all the toffees...but am scared of heights :roll: ) 3)detective(nancy drew phase) 4)spy..... Ended up becoming a teacher.....but sometimes I wonder...... :roll:

Re: Are you in the right occupation Am I in the right occupation? Ummmm...think so. Not sure my patients (the few surviving ones, that is) would agree though. Damn, the entrance exam for undertakers was way too tough, otherwise I'd have found my calling! :mad:

Re: Are you in the right occupation Seriously though, Vroom's post as usual was the most thought provoking. (OK Vroom, I know you can't handle praise, so shaddup being red in the face already). This guy is bright as a button, make no mistake, and could have gone into virtually any job and made a killing for himself. But the fella chose to go into research. Why? While the rest of you were moaning how you won't make it in the Fortune 500 list, he does what he does because he wants to make a difference. You seen a fella like that recently? I suspect his real driving force is that he enjoys research hugely. There are guys with that kind of academic background here, make no mistake...Salil for example was on the Dean's list at University of Illinois, and got a scholarship to the extent of 75% of his tuition fees- that takes merit, but as far as I am aware, none of us made a conscious decision to go into research because of the right reasons. And he made another important point, did Vroom. He looks out at all his friends, from a similar background, raking in the moolah, and still remains steadfast. As somebody who has been in research full-time for three whole years, I tell you guys, it's not easy. I did mine as the means to an end. I was thinking of the job that lay ahead, not of doing good to the world. Pretty selfish motive there. Dunno if he can carry on forsaking the lure of the lucre for a cause...I hope he does. We need believers like that.

Re: Are you in the right occupation I was fascinated by two things when was young, cricket and electronics. I pursued both till about 18, then eased a bit on cricket and took up an Engineering degree in IT. I ended up traveling around the globe for few years working in IT and then settled back just about the time traveling got a bit too boring. I envisaged two careers early on and ended up successfully in one of them. Of course my career is not finished as yet and is only warming up. I?m doing a MBA which will probably help me pursue my career further and reach the heights I always wanted. I like the challenges in my job and quite happy to be where I am. As for money, I don?t really care. It comes with the job anyways and we only need so much after having reached a state where you got most comforts available.

Re: Are you in the right occupation

There are other compensations, Boss. He is the sort of guy who always gets the best looking girl in the office. I wouldn't worry about him.
Unfortunately with research in Physics, the best looking girl in the office is the daayna haath. (speaking of the best looking girl in the office, where is the badshah of begusarai these days?) And thank you both for the kind words. Any more sweet-talk and Doc will be writing me insulin prescriptions.

I was fascinated by two things when was young' date=' cricket and electronics. I pursued both till about 18, then eased a bit on cricket and took up an Engineering degree in IT. I ended up traveling around the globe for few years working in IT and then settled back just about the time traveling got a bit too boring. I envisaged two careers early on and ended up successfully in one of them. Of course my career is not finished as yet and is only warming up. I?m doing a MBA which will probably help me pursue my career further and reach the heights I always wanted. I like the challenges in my job and quite happy to be where I am. As for money, I don?t really care. It comes with the job anyways and we only need so much after having reached a state where you got most comforts available.[/quote'] how, why did settle in NZ, Ravs... tht is, if u dont mind me asking.... i personally dont know, anyone who has ever done it.....

how, why did settle in NZ, Ravs... tht is, if u dont mind me asking.... i personally dont know, anyone who has ever done it.....
It wasn't my choice Gator, parents settled down here when I was fairly young and I just went with the drift. That said I'm quite happy where I am :wtg:

Re: Are you in the right occupation I've never been to Canada Rajeev but from what I gather it is quite big and a versatile place too. I'm sure you won't feel the winter here after having lived in Canada for sure.

Re: Are you in the right occupation You must have warm summers though. We have hot summers ranging between 18-28 degrees starting Oct to till about March. Rest of the year is fairly cold ranging between 4-12 degrees. More than the low temperature it is the cold southerly wind that really really gets us.

Re: Are you in the right occupation It's great to see so many people reply, apologize to bring in nostalgia but life isn't about being the perfect student and picking the right job, its about the experience Good to see vroom being appreciated, but everyone else deserves a hand too for whatever they did,and/or doing. We all have been through different experiences and I am sure we have been jack of our trades

Re: Are you in the right occupation hm... abt me... well, i wanted to be a doctor... ever sinc ei was 7 yrs... i know its young and tht most other girls tht age would be thinking of being balerinas etc etc... and i worked for it ever since... but due to circumstances, i end up doing business.... am not sure whether i'm perfectly happy with it or not... but i guess i cud live with it... this, however does not mean tht doing medicine is totally out of the list... its there... sumtime somewhere i might as well go for it...

Re: Are you in the right occupation While anyone remotely informed about my family, in particular the legacy of mathematicians we have produced, it would come as no surprise that i have a career in Mathematics... and while i love the subject, its fluidity, logic and lucidity is absolutely appealing, i think its a bit of a cop out. i feel i am persuing the career i am since its the default or rather the easy, obvious option. and if dreams are an benchmark... i have always wanted to try out for the Indian Administrative Services. hopefully when i return home next year i ll give that a shot... another career that has absolutely captivated my fancy... Alaskan King crab fishing!