Should Rahul Dravid retire now???

What's even more hilarious is how some people over Rediff are justifying his slow scoring. According to them' date=' he is consolidating the innings. Anyone who points out the obvious is accused of not understanding Test cricket and is advised to stick with T20's :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:[/quote'] to be fair, this is a 5 day match and India can easily make 400 today if veeru stays till the end, which is a great score to have after day 1 so dravid's slow batting gets neutralized

All I will say is if a certain other batsman was playing like this, even if he was carrying a career threating injury, there would be accusations of selfishness, harming the team, and what not by the same people defending Dravid Now, I am not saying Dravid deserves the same treatment but just saying how things change even among the non worshippers and 'neutral' fans depending on the player in question

to be fair' date=' this is a 5 day match and India can easily make 400 today if veeru stays till the end, which is a great score to have after day 1 so dravid's slow batting gets neutralized[/quote'] Or, a chance to score 400+ is neutralised thanks to Dravid... I'd love to know what value add is done by gobbling up 100 balls for 17 runs coming 1 down on First day of a test match.. Seriously makes no sense esp when the guy at other end is batting like heaven...
All I will say is if a certain other batsman was playing like this' date=' even if he was carrying a career threating injury, there would be accusations of selfishness, harming the team, and what not[/quote'] Hehe so true... With Dravid, his failures TOO get shoved under the carpet too quickly without noticing... not for nothing he's called the Bridesmaid of the team.
All I will say is if a certain other batsman was playing like this, even if he was carrying a career threating injury, there would be accusations of selfishness, harming the team, and what not by the same people defending Dravid Now, I am not saying Dravid deserves the same treatment but just saying how things change even got the non worshippers and 'neutral' fans
Exactly.
All I will say is if a certain other batsman was playing like this, even if he was carrying a career threating injury, there would be accusations of selfishness, harming the team, and what not by the same people defending Dravid Now, I am not saying Dravid deserves the same treatment but just saying how things change even among the non worshippers and 'neutral' fans depending on the player in question
Very correct MTC. Well said.
I think that is stretching it. For two reasons. Any other batsman is not Dravid. Two, this is still a 5 day match and India scoring 4 per over. If he scores 100 of 250 it still a decent test match innings in terms of pace and in terms of winning the match. Most importantly, we don't have a proven winner breathing down his neck. So an average of 40 with SR of 50 is not something we can dispose off.
Like Precambrian said' date=' Dravid didn't win us a Test in SA at his peak and he won't win us now. If we have a greenhorn playing and failing in SA, he'll atleast have the experience to carry in England and Australia next year.[/quote'] neither has tendulkar!! and i am not saying dravid is better then tendu! tendu the GOD himself of cricket! sreesanth actually won us the only match we won there! and the before that we came close of winning a test match in SA was when dravid made a 148 and rain and cullinan saved that match for the saffers!
I think that is stretching it. For two reasons. Any other batsman is not Dravid. Two' date=' this is still a 5 day match and India scoring 4 per over. If he scores 100 of 250 it still a decent test match innings in terms of pace and in terms of winning the match. Most importantly, we don't have a proven winner breathing down his neck. So an average of 40 with SR of 50 is not something we can dispose off.[/quote'] I completely agree with the assesment and know India will win this easily. Dravid coming into form also augurs well for us befroe the SA series. But you missed my point. I am not criticising Dravid but some of his fans. If it was Sachin instead of Dravid, none of the points you made in your post would be considered before calling him all sorts of name