Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

:giggle: 5k isnt long distance thats 25 mins max!! but yeah loss of muscle tone was probably the more appropriate thing to say i think the change of routine meant i lost weight at the same time
if you're running to lose fat / increase your metabolic rate it is proven that a series of high intensity sprints (e.g. 1min at 16 kph) interspersed with resting periods (e.g. 2min at 11 kph) all sustained for approx 10 min is far more effective than lower intensity running for 25-30 min.

if you're running to lose fat / increase your metabolic rate it is proven that a series of high intensity sprints (e.g. 1min at 16 kph) interspersed with resting periods (e.g. 2min at 11 kph) all sustained for approx 10 min is far more effective than lower intensity running for 25-30 min.
basically ur referring to interval training yeah i need to step that back up again!

I am 5'9, currently at 163-164 lbs. As I had mentioned before, I was overweight earlier(183 lbs, as on March 08), but managed to lose around 20 lbs in 6 months last year. But it turns out that I did it wrong and lost a lot of muscle also. I am trying to correct that this time around and focus on low-intensity, fat-burner routines that don’t eat at my muscles. Because its low-intensity, it takes longer to burn the same amount of calories I used to, but hey, you cant have the cake and eat it too right? :D. I know it can get quite dull to just go and workout everytime and its pretty exciting to go and play the sport, but the thing is, the former is much better for ‘accounting’ purposes. If I am on the mill running/jogging/brisk-walking, I know exactly how much calories I am burning and this helps me plan my workout well in advance. Whenever I go to the gym, I have specific targets of what I want to do in that session. If I were to just run around playing basketball, I would never know how much effort I am expending. But, this focused cardio routine helps me measure my progress against the goals, so I can tweak it to tailor my needs if required. In that sense, focused cardio sessions are really beneficial. But on weekends, when we go to the gym, we don’t do any workout. We just play (typically either Basketball or swim..). That way, we have the best of both worlds. I do eat daal, though not often as I used to. I also make sure I add lots of beans (either chick peas or kidney beans) in my meals, but the majority of my protein right now comes from protein shakes.
that's awesome bro...do you work out with weights? That could solve your problems. 20 pounds in 6 months is quite an achievement. Nice job and keep at it. By the way, most people, vegetarians included, do meet the Reccomended Daily Intake for Protein everyday provided they have a variety of foods that they eat. You might wanna check up on that before you go heavy on the shakes.

i have a full time job an 8 rs old boy a household to run and yes i still get to the gym 3 tmes a week and run atleast twice! trust me it takes alot of organising but the thing is when i dont work out i feel even more tired!! for me its more of a health regime rather than something i do for vanity!! plus i involve my family' date=' when i run my son takes his bike out and we go together, when my sons at his activities my hubby and i both hit the gym together[/quote'] strong woman...way to be! I know so many people who just come home from work and just flop on the couch...your story is awesome.

I am 5'9, currently at 163-164 lbs. As I had mentioned before, I was overweight earlier(183 lbs, as on March 08), but managed to lose around 20 lbs in 6 months last year. But it turns out that I did it wrong and lost a lot of muscle also. I am trying to correct that this time around and focus on low-intensity, fat-burner routines that don’t eat at my muscles. Because its low-intensity, it takes longer to burn the same amount of calories I used to, but hey, you cant have the cake and eat it too right? :D. I know it can get quite dull to just go and workout everytime and its pretty exciting to go and play the sport, but the thing is, the former is much better for ‘accounting’ purposes. If I am on the mill running/jogging/brisk-walking, I know exactly how much calories I am burning and this helps me plan my workout well in advance. Whenever I go to the gym, I have specific targets of what I want to do in that session. If I were to just run around playing basketball, I would never know how much effort I am expending. But, this focused cardio routine helps me measure my progress against the goals, so I can tweak it to tailor my needs if required. In that sense, focused cardio sessions are really beneficial. But on weekends, when we go to the gym, we don’t do any workout. We just play (typically either Basketball or swim..). That way, we have the best of both worlds. I do eat daal, though not often as I used to. I also make sure I add lots of beans (either chick peas or kidney beans) in my meals, but the majority of my protein right now comes from protein shakes.
try the cottage cheese lurker suggested :) It tastes nice and full of protein :)

I used to go to the gym quite regularly until last year. Used to do about 3 miles on the treadmill in 20 mins followed by 20 mins of cycling. IT WAS BORING! Started swimming instead and really enjoyed+got the exercise I wanted. Stamina levels are still quite good as I play about 5 sets of tennis atleast twice a week. I also completed the Delhi half marathon(21 kms)for charity in an hour and forty odd minutes last year.

I used to go to the gym quite regularly until last year. Used to do about 3 miles on the treadmill in 20 mins followed by 20 mins of cycling. IT WAS BORING! Started swimming instead and really enjoyed+got the exercise I wanted. Stamina levels are still quite good as I play about 5 sets of tennis atleast twice a week. I also completed the Delhi half marathon(21 kms)for charity in an hour and forty odd minutes last year.
yeah swimming is good as well depending on my involvement at my sons cricket club sometimes i'll go for a swim in their local pool while he plays well done for ur ha;f marathon! which charity did u do it for??

yeah swimming is good as well depending on my involvement at my sons cricket club sometimes i'll go for a swim in their local pool while he plays well done for ur ha;f marathon! which charity did u do it for??
Concern India.

^^ Yoga is excellent to get you at peace with yourself and control your mind and soul. I am not so sure that it helps much in getting in shape. Admittedly I dont do yoga much except for certain postures for stretching but I would highly doubt if yoga can get anyone in great shape. I think it is a great idea to start a tough routine. More so since with your yoga background your body is already conditioned to handle more stressful regime.

You are right.Yoga won't give great shape or even burning calories.It is more like a refreshing,soothing exercise.Also make us more flexible.Again certain postures can help in reducing abdominal fat. I am too lazy for such gym works.I cannot maintain the routine.The only other exercise i do is jumb rope.I can do that at home too.I am careful not to put on weight.

I don't do any exercises' date=' one hour yoga in the morning and in the evening.However i would love to start a tough routine.[/quote'] with that amount of yoga u really dont need to do anything else maybe just a little walking to get your heart rate up!!

No CG,yoga helps to relieve muscle tension and general well being.In order to get shape one needs more work out and do it regularly.I won't/can't do that regularly,so i stick to Yoga which can be done at home too.Also jumb rope. If u have time,u can add Yoga a supplimentary exercise like say 20 minutes or so.If u don't hae time for that,u can atleast do Pranayaama for 5 minutes every day.And watch how ur eyes/skin glow.:--D

No CG' date='yoga helps to relieve muscle tension and general well being[b'].In order to get shape one needs more work out and do it regularly.I won't/can't do that regularly,so i stick to Yoga which can be done at home too.Also jumb rope. If u have time,u can add Yoga a supplimentary exercise like say 20 minutes or so.If u don't hae time for that,u can atleast do Pranayaama for 5 minutes every day.And watch how ur eyes/skin glow.:--D
A few years ago, I went for a short Yoga class. Then, the instructor was at pains to convey to us how youngsters of today felt exercise was the only way to stay in shape, which was not true. And I truly believe him, coz the guy was easily in his 50s, yet one of THE fittest persons I have seen. He was in excellent shape, lithe, strong and firm. So I think Yoga, if done properly can actually help you get in better shape. And of course, there’s this whole story of Kareena Kapoor and how Yoga helped her to slim down even further and get into the much talked about shape that she is in now.

I had lost 13lbs after my New year resolution in 2009.Now I have gained it all back again :(( all because of a stupid job that does not allow any workout time :((:((
Thats not good Suraj. Workouts do lot more than build body and health. Personally it has been the biggest stress releiver for me. If you are stuck in a job that is stressful it is even more the reason to workout and take out the stress in gym, or at home. Sure you will need to get up early 30 minutes a day but the results is well worth it. Not saying you arent trying your best but do look to squeeze about 30 minutes of your me time.