Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

Speaking of supplements what typically works for you Akshay? Not including protein powders some that I have used: BCAAs (works) Fish Oil (works) Creatine (works) Green tea (does not work) Arachidonic Acid (works) Sesame Oil (works) Pre-Workout drink (some of them work) Post-Workout drink (only Myozene works) ZMA (does not work) Beta-Alanine (works) Hmmm what did I miss out? :hmmm:
aka jack3d

Speaking of supplements what typically works for you Akshay? Not including protein powders some that I have used: BCAAs (works) Fish Oil (works) Creatine (works) Green tea (does not work) Arachidonic Acid (works) Sesame Oil (works) Pre-Workout drink (some of them work) Post-Workout drink (only Myozene works) ZMA (does not work) Beta-Alanine (works) Hmmm what did I miss out? :hmmm:
How do you know what works ? E.g. what is green tea supposed to do ? Isn't it a more long term thing good for your general health or something ?

How do you know what works ? E.g. what is green tea supposed to do ? Isn't it a more long term thing good for your general health or something ?
It was personal experience, what has worked for me, and what not. Green tea (the supplement variety) is supposed to be part of a good stack when one is trying to lose fat. Didnt really work for me. May work for others though.

Got your hint, there are supplements that actually are useful. Following are the ones that I tried, but only in late 20s. In college says, wallet allowed only bananas, potatoes, few raw eggs to go with regular hostel food and 10s of hours of sleep :D. Whey - obviously works. as pre-post-during workout shakes and meal replacement shakes (with oats). esp for folks like me, who can't cook every meal. Soy Protein Isolate, Casein Powder - useless. Tried just because I wanted to. Creatine - one of the safest supplement- works in bulking and cutting both, if you know how it works. I have abused it thoroughly, and so far no side effects ( I hope). MultiVitamins - works, safest. Fish Oil - useful. Would like to have regularly, but not cost effective here. Dextrose (Glucose-D) - safest - regular component of my post/during-workout drinks. Liquid protein - tried sometimes only for convenience and change of taste - for during workout shakes. Oats - main component for bulking diet (simple oats+whey as meal replacement shake). BCAAs - tried. But felt, its not required. I use ON whey gold, and it also has some 5 gm/scoop or something, plus if you are getting proteins from multiple sources, it does not add much value. Flaxeed Oil, Flaxeed powder - useful - fish oil is more effective, but flaxseed oil tastes better. Green tea - not as a supplement, but I take occasionally, as I like various types of tea. ALA, R-ALA - works. known to be best anti-oxidant, and helped in pumps too. NO supplements: NO-Xplode, Nitrix. Worked for me. Although its not required, if you are motivated enough. At some point of time, I needed that extra push - and it worked. And then I got hooked for sometime - enjoy the feeling of extra bit of pump and pushing extra. Also tried few more NO supplements - did not work as good as NOX. ZMA - sort of works and safe. at least gets me good sleep. ECA - tried for 3-4 days. too much for me to handle, NOX was good enough. Besides I was convinced, it is not good for long term. Vitamin C chewable tablets I hope/guess it works. It is supposed to be safe and cheap anti-oxidant. So, have had lots of them - esp on cutting diets. Natural Test Boosters - tried twice, once I was convinced it was safe ( I am old enough :) ).. Activate-Xtreme - worked. DHEA - not so much. Finally - I am settled with - Creatine cycles, Whey, Fish/Flaxseed Oil, Multi-Vitamins and ZMA (sometimes). Apart from these few foods/meals I add - on ketogenic diet. Almonds - about 100 gm of almonds/day on ketogenic diet. Soy milk - only on ketogenic diet. Cottage Cheese + peanut butter - good meal before bed. Lots of boiled Soybeans, eggs, cheese - on keto diets. And notable mention - Psyllium husk ( Isabgol) - on keto diet (if not having enough green veggies). I had to mention this, as my first experiment with Keto diet went horribly wrong - I almost collapsed due to constipation :embaressed_smile:. that I will never forget.

It was personal experience, what has worked for me, and what not. Green tea (the supplement variety) is supposed to be part of a good stack when one is trying to lose fat. Didnt really work for me. May work for others though.
++ it is supposed to raise metabolism a bit, anti-oxidant and muscle preserving. However, the effects may not be noticeable for general public - unless tried/tested in laboratory setup, and I guess there have been studies to support that.

Most of your queries have been answered, here are few random points from this post and later. 10 kg in 3 years is piece of cake. in fact, you can do 10 kg in 3-6 months - but it will be a bit dirty and you will have to follow up with a cleansing cycle. naturally - metabolism reduces by age, keeping everything else same. So, its easier to gain weight in late 20s - but further later it becomes difficult ( esp gaining/maintaining lean muscle) because of decrease in required hormones - esp Test. Good thing about gaining weight, building base early on is - that its easier to limit fat deposits when you do bulking in teens/early 20s - as compared to bulking up in later age. Belts - personally, I am not in favor of belts, unless you go really heavy lifting - power lifting etal. For body building purposes, ideally your core should be strong enough to support. Besides, I believe, such external support systems can give you false sense of security and you might compromise on form/technique a bit. Also, if you do not have religious inhibitions - go ahead eat everything..or at least add eggs. I was pure veg, and now I eat everything. In fact, trigger point was - when I saw my non-veg friend bulking up faster than me - despite putting same effort.
Sorry dude but thats a Lahori logic... I can understand when a Pakistani say it but coming from an Indian is disappointing. Most of the Indian pehelwans n Kabbadi players come from Haryana n Punjab n they r pure vegerterian. Even the biggest man in Bollywood, John Abraham, is a vegeterian. It irks me when someone who has knowledge about gym, is an Indian and a Hindu suggest vegetarians to eat meat .. There is no way if u eat proper vegerterian food u can't progress better than non-vegs... I m the only vegerterian in my gym group but in much better shape, size n strength than my fellow friends

Sorry dude but thats a Lahori logic... I can understand when a Pakistani say it but coming from an Indian is disappointed. Most of Indian pehelwans n Kabbadi players come from Haryana Punjab n they r pure vegerterian. Even the biggest man in Bollywood, John Abraham, is a vegeterian. It irks me when someone who has knowledge about gym, is an Indian and a Hindu suggest vegetarians to eat meat .. There is no way if u eat proper vegerterian food u can't progress better than non-vegs... I m the only vegerterian in my gym group but in much better shape, size n strength than my fellow friends
Yes- But they have to put in more effort and rely on supplements.. Also Hindus were Beef Eaters...

Isnt Jack3d a rip off of 1MR (BPI)? Between the two 1MR is the better one' date=' easier on tummy too...[/quote'] imho I believe jack3d to be the best product on the pwo market, I must have a high stim tolerance or something because its the only one I have ever actually felt work, most pre workout supps are just a **** load of broscience and marketing hype but Jack3d is amazing.

Sorry dude but thats a Lahori logic... I can understand when a Pakistani say it but coming from an Indian is disappointed. Most of Indian pehelwans n Kabbadi players come from Haryana Punjab n they r pure vegerterian. Even the biggest man in Bollywood, John Abraham, is a vegeterian. It irks me when someone who has knowledge about gym, is an Indian and a Hindu suggest vegetarians to eat meat .. There is no way if u eat proper vegerterian food u can't progress better than non-vegs... I m the only vegerterian in my gym group but in much better shape, size n strength than my fellow friends
sorry dude, but true lahori logic would be - one should/not eat certain stuff because s/he belongs to particular region/religion - that too by birth, which is beyond your control. As for veg vs non-veg diets in context, it is well backed up by scientific studies. read about bio-availability of proteins from various sources. Whey is highest (but not easy to isolate from milk) and actually comes from an animal !!!, then comes cooked egg, then non-veg stuff, and legumes/lentils come much much lower. Besides, there are few more things like - additional boost in natural testosterone/growth hormones from eating red meat. As for your case - even if you are better than your non-veg gym mates - have you tried this - follow same routine, but switch to normal non-veg western diet and then compare the results. You may be in better in shape, just because of pushing extra hard and it may not be as efficient as it would have been, had you been on non-veg diet. As for my experience - it was not just my case - other regular non-vegetarians also grew faster, easier than us vegetarians.

Ohh and btw - the friend I was referring to is/was a hindu-pandit (pahari), and was non--veg,..whereas I was non-pandit and still a strict veg (not even eggs).. I used to lift as much as him. So, I went by observation/evidences and not by dogma enforced on me by virtue of my birth coordinates. Now - tell me more about Lahori Logic.

Ohh and btw - the friend I was referring to is/was a hindu-pandit (pahari), and was non--veg,..whereas I was non-pandit and still a strict veg (not even eggs).. I used to lift as much as him. So, I went by observation/evidences and not by dogma enforced on me by virtue of my birth coordinates. Now - tell me more about Lahori Logic.
Aapne tou dil pe le liya..LL is worse than the expletives that Kohli spews :hysterical:

Aapne tou dil pe le liya..LL is worse than the expletives that Kohli spews :hysterical:
kahin kuchh dil bacha ho tou uspe loon..:)... a bit high, and active on ICF after micro-break. back to LL accusation from RR. Which logic is more Lahori - I shall not eat pork as I am Muslim - vs - I shall not eat beef/non-veg as I am Hindu/pandit/pujari.

kahin kuchh dil bacha ho tou uspe loon..:)... a bit high, and active on ICF after micro-break. back to LL accusation from RR. Which logic is more Lahori - I shall not eat pork as I am Muslim - vs - I shall not eat beef/non-veg as I am Hindu/pandit/pujari.
Both are equal :cantstop:

None of them qualify for Lahori logic...Lahori logic is Indians are less taluunteed n can't bowl phaaast cuz they don't meat... I just hate it when fellow Indians try to put Veggies down and in pressure veggies turn into non-veggies. And specially with the remark that Veggie need meat to get stronger. Dude call it bit personal but back in uni, I have faced this a lot n prolly the biggest reason I started working out just to prove my buddies that they were wrong. Also being a veg has nothing to do with religion for some people

Yes- But they have to put in more effort and rely on supplements.. Also Hindus were Beef Eaters...
I agree that they need to eat the 'right' veggie food but don't think they have to overly rely on supplements than ur regular non-veg guy. Chalo chodo bro, I don't want to derail the topic. Shouldn't being my personal vendetta here

spending 1 hr in the gym is pretty much useless. you need to get in, get your heavy sets in with a 1 min break in between and get out in 30 mins. don't spend valuable time 'warming up' or 'stretching' or any other crap. just do one to two sets of light-medium load to get the blood flowing and prepare for the heavier load. even if you are in the gym for 15 min make sure every minute counts and you will get better results than that dude who works out for 4 hrs a day.

Got your hint, there are supplements that actually are useful. Following are the ones that I tried, but only in late 20s. In college says, wallet allowed only bananas, potatoes, few raw eggs to go with regular hostel food and 10s of hours of sleep :D. Whey - obviously works. as pre-post-during workout shakes and meal replacement shakes (with oats). esp for folks like me, who can't cook every meal. Soy Protein Isolate, Casein Powder - useless. Tried just because I wanted to. Creatine - one of the safest supplement- works in bulking and cutting both, if you know how it works. I have abused it thoroughly, and so far no side effects ( I hope). MultiVitamins - works, safest. Fish Oil - useful. Would like to have regularly, but not cost effective here. Dextrose (Glucose-D) - safest - regular component of my post/during-workout drinks. Liquid protein - tried sometimes only for convenience and change of taste - for during workout shakes. Oats - main component for bulking diet (simple oats+whey as meal replacement shake). BCAAs - tried. But felt, its not required. I use ON whey gold, and it also has some 5 gm/scoop or something, plus if you are getting proteins from multiple sources, it does not add much value. Flaxeed Oil, Flaxeed powder - useful - fish oil is more effective, but flaxseed oil tastes better. Green tea - not as a supplement, but I take occasionally, as I like various types of tea. ALA, R-ALA - works. known to be best anti-oxidant, and helped in pumps too. NO supplements: NO-Xplode, Nitrix. Worked for me. Although its not required, if you are motivated enough. At some point of time, I needed that extra push - and it worked. And then I got hooked for sometime - enjoy the feeling of extra bit of pump and pushing extra. Also tried few more NO supplements - did not work as good as NOX. ZMA - sort of works and safe. at least gets me good sleep. ECA - tried for 3-4 days. too much for me to handle, NOX was good enough. Besides I was convinced, it is not good for long term. Vitamin C chewable tablets I hope/guess it works. It is supposed to be safe and cheap anti-oxidant. So, have had lots of them - esp on cutting diets. Natural Test Boosters - tried twice, once I was convinced it was safe ( I am old enough :) ).. Activate-Xtreme - worked. DHEA - not so much. Finally - I am settled with - Creatine cycles, Whey, Fish/Flaxseed Oil, Multi-Vitamins and ZMA (sometimes). Apart from these few foods/meals I add - on ketogenic diet. Almonds - about 100 gm of almonds/day on ketogenic diet. Soy milk - only on ketogenic diet. Cottage Cheese + peanut butter - good meal before bed. Lots of boiled Soybeans, eggs, cheese - on keto diets. And notable mention - Psyllium husk ( Isabgol) - on keto diet (if not having enough green veggies). I had to mention this, as my first experiment with Keto diet went horribly wrong - I almost collapsed due to constipation :embaressed_smile:. that I will never forget.
lol..Thats a pretty comprehensive list. Kinda reminds me of the time when I was active on BB.com and every poster kinda shared his supplement closet and ooh-aahed at the other. BCAA's typically work best on cutting diet. Specially doing cardio and stuff like that. Try Xtend or ICE, you will like it. ALA - I havent had that in a while, I may order in with my next order. Psyllium husk is a good call. Forgot about that one.