Mark Richardson not happy with IPL pinching players

Sachinism

From what I've read, players don't have a choice. IPL teams get the first bite. Quote Warriors chief Dave Emslie has said Jacques Kallis' contractual obligations with Royal Challengers Bangalore did not give his home team much of a chance to retain his services for the Champions League T20. Contrary to Bangalore's statements, in which they hoped their overseas signings would pick their IPL team over their home team, Emslie said Kallis' IPL contract gave Bangalore the first rights over him should his domestic first-class team - Warriors from South Africa - and his IPL team both qualify for the tournament. "Kallis' contract (with Bangalore) says if his IPL team gets into the CLT20 his team has the first option," Emslie said during a media interaction with Indian journalists. "For that we got $200,000. We would have wanted Kallis but the decision did not lay in our hands. We never had a choice." http://www.cricinfo.com/t20champions...ry/472536.html
not sure thats true.otherwise how did Warner play for NSW over DD last year n Dwayne Simth played for Sussex over DC n White played for Vics over RCB this is what I got from CLT20 website:
What are the rules governing players who represent more than one club that is competing in the tournament? If a player is selected to play for an ‘away’ team rather than his ‘home’ team (the team from the country he is eligible to represent in international cricket), the ‘away’ team must pay US$200,000 as compensation to the ‘home’ team. ‘Away’ teams are not eligible for compensation if a player chooses to play for his ‘home’ team.
:hmmm:

One thing Mark got absolutely right that CL becomes Indian Champions league. Why three of IPL teams are participating where Australia have only two participant. Because of IPL is superior than Bigbash? But bigbash's teams are better than IPL's team. Add to this no Pakistani team(current t20 run'up) is included in the league. Kudos to Mark Richardson! Good to see in this days of $$ some people still calling a spade a spade.
Supply and demand. Simple really. More Indian teams increases the viewership. Pakistan is not included because their chairman said that no pak team will be available because of the perceived IPL snub. Mark richardson has nothing to lose here. If Taylor wants to play for his NZ club, then let him give up, say 30% of his salary he signed on for the IPL franchise. Again simple business move here. Players signed on to play IPL and CL for IPL franchises and hence they have to.

Not because that they have more money but they gave more money based on the possibility of playing in the CL too. IPL teams were sold for IPL + CL. The players signed a contract stating that they would play for their IPL teams if they qualify.
At the time of the first IPL auction, there was no concept of Champions League. And anyhow, players are paid on the basis of number of games they are available for anyways, even in the IPL. So, if Taylor or Kallis play for their home teams, they would obviously lose out on part of their salary. That's straightforward. Point here is that they don't have a choice to make.

Mark richardson has nothing to lose here. If Taylor wants to play for his NZ club, then let him give up, say 30% of his salary he signed on for the IPL franchise. Again simple business move here. Players signed on to play IPL and CL for IPL franchises and hence they have to.
If Taylor plays for his NZ club, then he doesn't get paid for the CL matches that he is missing for RCB, so essentially he is not getting paid for it. As far as the IPL is considered, for every players its a pay as yuy play deal. So they only get paid for the matches they play. Just a random thought, Ross Taylor agrees to play for RCB, RCB pays 200 grand to his NZ team. He gets injured a couple of weks before the CL, and cant play the CL, do RCB get back the 200K?

At the time of the first IPL auction, there was no concept of Champions League. And anyhow, players are paid on the basis of number of games they are available for anyways, even in the IPL. So, if Taylor or Kallis play for their home teams, they would obviously lose out on part of their salary. That's straightforward. Point here is that they don't have a choice to make.
I dont know how the contract is. But i remember that CSK and DD were paid 5 million $ each because they knew about CL when they bid for the IPL franchise. Maybe my memory is not true here. Players are not paid strictly on the games available. IIRC, if they are available for more than 50% of the games, they get full payment. CL is just a few games, so i suppose, a player who played all of IPL has to be paid in full even if he doesnt turn up for CL. I believe the rules were not fully fleshed out when they started and have been adjusted. One source says that players have no choice but i remember someone said that players can choose.If a players cannot choose, then that needs to changed as well as the fee structure to take that into the equation.

I dont know how the contract is. But i remember that CSK and DD were paid 5 million $ each because they knew about CL when they bid for the IPL franchise. Maybe my memory is not true here.
That might have been the case, but I am certain that at the time of the first IPL auction, the relevant date here, there was no concept of a Champions League. It was only after the success of the first edition that the idea came into being. Here is an article I found from when the first edition just got over : http://www.cricinfo.com/ipl/content/story/346981.html
Following the spectacular start to the Indian Premier League, its organisers have chalked out plans for an inaugural Champions League featuring top domestic Twenty20 sides from several countries.
Players are not paid strictly on the games available. IIRC, if they are available for more than 50% of the games, they get full payment. CL is just a few games, so i suppose a player who played all of IPL has to be paid in full even if he doesnt turn up for CL. I believe the rules were not fully fleshed out when they started and have been adjusted. One source says that players have no choice but i remember someone said that players can choose. If players cannot choose, then that needs to changed as well as the fee structure to take that into the equation.
I don't know the details of the payment structure, but from what I read long back the payments were to be made on the number of games a player would be available for. But maybe your 50% thing is right, I don't know. The larger point, on which I think we both agree upon is that it should be a players' choice and not the IPL franchise. That does not appear to be the case from the recent statements I've quoted above regarding Kallis and his domestic team in South Africa. And that is essentially what Richardson is saying, albeit in a much more controversial manner.

What sort of outfit invites teams to a tournament then takes their best players? The Indian Champions League, that's who. It's like going round to your mate's house because he's got the best backyard, the bat and the ball but if you want to play, he gets to pick the teams. This has happened to Central Districts in this year's Indian Champions League. They've lost Ross Taylor to Bangalore Royal Challengers. Taylor had no choice. Under the rules, the Indian Premier League get first dibs on eligible players. They have to pay a US$200,000 release fee but that's chicken feed for these uber-rich parasites. This is so wrong. Ross Taylor is a New Zealander, from Palmerston North. He is not an Indian from Bangalore. If given the chance, I reckon Taylor would see it the same way and play for Central Districts. Remember the emotion he showed when he got CD through to the final of New Zealand's provincial T20 competition? To deny him the choice of allegiance now is akin to what happens in a communist state. You could argue this rule protects players like Taylor. There is big money if you progress in the Champions League and Taylor's best chance is with Bangalore. If the choice is not his, he avoids being vilified by his countrymen if he makes a business decision. With Taylor, CD have a great chance of success. He is a match-winner, as 80 from 30 balls in the HRV final showed. Perhaps more worrying for New Zealand Cricket is that, without Taylor, CD's chances are reduced. Otago were last in the inaugural tournament and a similar display by the New Zealand entrant could have negative consequences. It was hard enough to get the invite and if Indian officials don't see the New Zealand participant as a worthy contributor then we sure won't get a second team there and our participation will be under threat. This is not a desirable outcome because participation comes with a much-needed healthy financial reward. How sickening would it be to see Ross Taylor helping Bangalore knock CD out of the tournament? The rules favour Indian teams and I bet the Indian administration of the Champions League want to avoid the embarrassment of last time when the final was contested between New South Wales and Trinidad & Tobago. But the rules also make a mockery of a fair competition. Players like Taylor, Cameron White and Dale Steyn have all helped their respective provinces to qualify and now they must advantage their IPL team at the expense of their rightful provinces. How stupid is this tournament? http://www.nzherald.co.nz/cricket/news/article.cfm?c_id=29&objectid=10667959
what an idiot (whoever wrote this)... players do have a choice and secondly its champions league, not india champions league

That might have been the case, but I am certain that at the time of the first IPL auction, the relevant date here, there was no concept of a Champions League. It was only after the success of the first edition that the idea came into being. Here is an article I found from when the first edition just got over : http://www.cricinfo.com/ipl/content/story/346981.html I don't know the details of the payment structure, but from what I read long back the payments were to be made on the number of games a player would be available for. But maybe your 50% thing is right, I don't know. The larger point, on which I think we both agree upon is that it should be a players' choice and not the IPL franchise. That does not appear to be the case from the recent statements I've quoted above regarding Kallis and his domestic team in South Africa. And that is essentially what Richardson is saying, albeit in a much more controversial manner.
Choice is obviously important. But looking from the business point of view, we rejoiced when the 50% rule i.e. players need to be available only for 50% of the tournament (not even play) as it protects the players and doesn't force them to play over injuries or international games. But this rule could also hurt the IPL teams then. Most foreign players were available for the entire IPl season , so they dont need to play for the IPL teams in CL to receive full salary. Maybe that is why they changed the rule this year and made sure that all IPL players stay put. I am sure, this rule will be fleshed out in the next year. CL is one of a kind league and i dont suppose this problem has occurred in any sport before so prominently. It will take some time to iron out the issues.

they do' date='otherwise how the heck did Warner play for NSW n White play for Vics last year[/quote'] There IPL franchise didnt choose them then, either way with IPL teams getting to pick and choose they still get a severe beat down. No suprise with a team full of Vinay Kumars and other shyte players.

not sure thats true.otherwise how did Warner play for NSW over DD last year n Dwayne Simth played for Sussex over DC n White played for Vics over RCB :hmmm:
Here is what I got regarding Warner - it was only after Delhi released him that he could play for NSW :
Delhi have four foreign players - Dirk Nannes, David Warner, Andrew McDonald and Farveez Maharoof - whose home teams have also qualified for the tournament. They'd have had to shell out $800,000 as compensation for all four players but are planning to call up only two of them.

http://www.cricinfo.com/t20champions2010/content/story/471945.html Looks like White is being forced at gun point to represent his made up club "Bangalore Royal Challengers" Doesnt sound like he had a choice either way.
Why did he sign the contract then? He can biatch and whine all he likes. But he has a contract to fulfill. And his home team will get compensated for it.

Yeh thats nice, spot a kid when he is about 10, spend **** loads of money developing him, watch him turn into a world class player but now he isnt allowed to play for you, he has to play for some made up club! Sounds fair.
It does. The kid knew exactly what he was doing, he made a choice when he signed the contract.