Pakistan Trio Suspended by ICC in Spot Fixing Scandal

asterix

I was at the neighbours forum and people are talking about whether there is enough evidence to prove that the Pakistan players are guilty in a UK court of law etc etc. Now, somebody with some legalese credentials help me out here, Scotland Yard officers talked to the 3 players last night but arrested only the middle man. - technically he was arrested for ' attempt to defraud the bookies' - So basically he was passing info to bookies/punter somwhere about certain pre-planned events that were going to be performed on a cricket field by certain individuals who he had arranged. So that makes them accomplices in the ' attempt to defraud the bookies'? I guess whatever the outcome, there will be two different routes - one the criminal investigation and the other an ICC investigation?

Is there any particular reason why betting is illegal in India?
It can go out of control... There is a reason why Betting,Gambling, Prostitution are illegal in India though there is nothing wrong in them as it can create lot of problem. Think of millions and millions of people just betting and doing nothing in life. Betting do not create any value in economy (exclude the tax thing) so it is better of being illegal. Let people work to make their money and create value

My educated guess, Mohammed Aamir has very little do with all this. He is probably simply taking orders from the senior cheating management (Butt, Asif, Akmal etc..). Why would they involve him in this as well, because they know they have to share the spoils with him as well. So, Butt would have probably asked him to simply over-step and the boy, not knowing exactly what was going on behind the scenes, simply did it, which explans why he was so careless and over-stepped by a foot. I expect Aamir to come out in the open, in a desperate attempt to clear his name. He will probably soon give an interview, claiming he had nothing to do with this and he was simply taking orders from the captain.

Take a look at the following video where the bookie and Salman Butt (allegedly) and making a deal over a phone call for a no-ball. They decide that Aamer would bowl a no-ball on the third ball of his third over. Then the video shows that ball. Butt walks over to Aamer and they have a small conference (assumed to be a reminder for the no ball). Then when Aamer is bowling, Salman Butt is looking straight at the bowling crease (normally close-in fielders concentrate on the batsman and not on the bowlers steps) as Aamer oversteps by an unusually large margin surprising even the commentators. Aamer had never bowlerd a no-ball in his international career before. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qOgtnZ8W8s]YouTube - Lord's Test Match Fixing Scandal 2[/ame] Even though it is upto the experts to establish the authenticity of that recording, Most Pakistani fans seem to agree that it's Butt's voice. I have heard here are other evidences like a video of one player accepting a jacket full of cash from a bookie, more videos and still photographs. It is also rumored that the police have found cash and other evidences from the players' hotel rooms.

My educated guess, Mohammed Aamir has very little do with all this. He is probably simply taking orders from the senior cheating management (Butt, Asif, Akmal etc..). Why would they involve him in this as well, because they know they have to share the spoils with him as well. So, Butt would have probably asked him to simply over-step and the boy, not knowing exactly what was going on behind the scenes, simply did it, which explans why he was so careless and over-stepped by a foot. I expect Aamir to come out in the open, in a desperate attempt to clear his name. He will probably soon give an interview, claiming he had nothing to do with this and he was simply taking orders from the captain.
I am quite sure that others around him are far more guilty than Aamer himself. Unfortunately for him, he will get the worst punishment.

^ Asif bowled a no-ball too. I guess, Aamer is being discussed more because of his recent performances, which gave hope to Pakis regarding bowling talent. Asif and Aamer will probably be get more or less the same punishment. That is if Asif doesn't get more based on the line that he would have dragged Aamer in to this

u r uninformed.Majeed has spoken to Ameer directly in front of the NOTW reporters, addressing him as " fecker, are u sleeping?"... Majeed even showed a text message from Ameer asking whether the 'no ball deal" is on or not. that will clinch the whole thing for cheating Ameer.he deserves no sympathy at all.he is not an innocent kid.just before the series began, Kaneria was booked by police for spot fixing.the team members were informed about this.come on, when ur teammate , a fellow bowler gets booked for spot fixing in a county match and gets in to controversyl, does not an 18 year old test cricketer understand it is illegal to spot fix/a deliberate no ball in test cricket at Lords? pakis defend Ameer.u may check out NOTW fully..

The funny thing about this whole situation is that the paki fans are under the impression that ALL the loses are due to underperforming otherwise they would have blown all opposition out of the water. fact of the matter is you don't have to place odds or bets on akmal dropping a catch, or suleiman butt edging yet another harmless delivery to the first slip or wahab diyaz or whoever getting bowled of a straight delivery. these guys are naturals. very very good at it.

u r uninformed.Majeed has spoken to Ameer directly in front of the NOTW reporters' date=' addressing him as " fecker, are u sleeping?"... M[b']ajeed even showed a text message from Ameer asking whether the 'no ball deal" is on or not. that will clinch the whole thing for cheating Ameer.he deserves no sympathy at all.he is not an innocent kid.just before the series began, Kaneria was booked by police for spot fixing.the team members were informed about this.come on, when ur teammate , a fellow bowler gets booked for spot fixing in a county match and gets in to controversyl, does not an 18 year old test cricketer understand it is illegal to spot fix/a deliberate no ball in test cricket at Lords? pakis defend Ameer.u may check out NOTW fully..
Wow, that is so shocking and sad.. Text messages, emails discussing the cheating... These guys dont know even know how to cheat..:haha:
So, Butt would have probably asked him to simply over-step and the boy, not knowing exactly what was going on behind the scenes, simply did it, which explans why he was so careless and over-stepped by a foot.
BOY knows how to play with the minds of a batsman but he doesn't have a clue why his captain asked him to bowl a legitimate no-ball !:hysterical::hysterical:
I expect Aamir to come out in the open' date=' in a desperate attempt to clear his name. He will probably soon give an interview, claiming he had nothing to do with this and he was simply taking orders from the captain.[/quote']
I am quite sure that others around him are far more guilty than Aamer himself. Unfortunately for him' date=' he will get the worst punishment.[/quote'] I don't know why you people are justifying or having a soft corner for Mowgli's act. If he has done something wrong deliberately, he's as guilty as others in this whole saga of spot-fixing! He's completed 18..isn't it? :giggle:
I am quite sure that others around him are far more guilty than Aamer himself. Unfortunately for him' date=' he will get the worst punishment.[/quote'] What is more shocking is that these guys keep getting caught and they still keep doing it. :haha:
BOY knows how to play with the minds of a batsman but he doesn't have a clue why his captain asked him to bowl a legitimate no-ball !:hysterical::hysterical: I don't know why you people are justifying or having a soft corner for Mowgli's act. If he has done something wrong deliberately, he's as guilty as others in this whole saga of spot-fixing! He's completed 18..isn't it? :giggle:
Have you heard the word 'speculation' before? :giggle:
What is more shocking is that these guys keep getting caught and they still keep doing it. :haha:
Because they know that they always have a fair chance of getting away and their fans will never leave them no matter what. In fact, looking at Afridi fans, the lower they stoop, the more the fans would love them.
BOY knows how to play with the minds of a batsman but he doesn't have a clue why his captain asked him to bowl a legitimate no-ball !:hysterical::hysterical: I don't know why you people are justifying or having a soft corner for Mowgli's act. If he has done something wrong deliberately, he's as guilty as others in this whole saga of spot-fixing! He's completed 18..isn't it? :giggle:
Nah, I am not justifying his acts or have any soft corner for him. I am just regretting that the bigger criminals will get away.

I don't understand what the big deal is?? Yes, Aamir/Asif/Butt and others probably cheated and the evidence will come out but these guys are only going to get a few months ban and it'll be back to the same story. Watch and wait. The next time they sack the chairman and other members of the PCB, which is almost an annual ritual now, the new board will welcome back these same cheats. I always believed Asif was scum and this two time doper is now finding other ways to say a big FUUUU***** YOU to the rest of the cricketing world. **** Pakistan cricket. **** these Pakistani players. **** the PCB.

Police investigation will focus on currency notes Investigators will focus on the currency notes handed over by the News Of The World (NOTW) to Mazhar Majeed as they look for evidence of spot fixing in the Lord's Test involving Pakistani cricketers. Majeed was arrested by Scotland Yard on Saturday night and the investigators will try and determine if the currency notes bear resemblance to those found in the hotel rooms of several Pakistani players. The NOTW claimed Majeed was paid £150,000 to arrange a fix involving Pakistan's new-ball bowlers, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif, whom he allegedly asked to bowl no-balls at specific moments of the match. It also alleged that Salman Butt and Kamran Akmal, the captain and vice-captain respectively, were the kingpins in the deal, which involved a total of seven players. Butt sidestepped the issue at the post-match press conference on Sunday, saying investigations were on. However, a source familiar with such investigations said he would be hard pressed to explain the currency notes allegedly found in his hotel room if they matched those given to Majeed by NOTW. "If the notes are the same it would be something serious. It would be direct evidence linking him to what has been claimed by [Majeed]," the source said. The most serious aspect of the issue, the source said, was Butt's involvement, and Majeed's claim that he knew Butt's bowling plan. "The fact that specific overs are to be bowled by specific bowlers and that they get to bowl those overs…then the specific ball as suggested is the kind of ball they offered are issues that raise considerable concern ," the source said. What will follow now, the source said, is intensive interrogation by Scotland Yard. "I don't think they will make an arrest unless they have some very credible evidence linking the player(s) to this," he said. The United Kingdom has a specific law under the Gambling Act that criminalises any offence involving cheating in sport and brings such cases immediately under police jurisdiction. Butt was handed the Test captaincy in a crisis situation last July after Shahid Afridi's sudden retirement from the five-day game following the Lord's Test against Australia. Butt immediately led Pakistan to a thrilling victory over Australia at Headingley, their first in 15 years. A week ago at The Oval, he was once again victorious when Pakistan beat England in another close finish. The weekend's developments, however, have cast a cloud over those achievements. http://www.cricinfo.com/england-v-pakistan-2010/content/story/474997.html

I don't understand what the big deal is?? Yes, Aamir/Asif/Butt and others probably cheated and the evidence will come out but these guys are only going to get a few months ban and it'll be back to the same story. Watch and wait. The next time they sack the chairman and other members of the PCB, which is almost an annual ritual now, the new board will welcome back these same cheats. I always believed Asif was scum and this two time doper is now finding other ways to say a big FUUUU***** YOU to the rest of the cricketing world. **** Pakistan cricket. **** these Pakistani players. **** the PCB.
For starters this won't be handled by the PCB, but the ICC.