Pakistan Trio Suspended by ICC in Spot Fixing Scandal

asterix

See, I don't mind anyone having a different point of view. I'm sure that You, Me no one in the world dislikes that. It is the biased opinions that the world hates. He's clearly having an ego issue with the subcontinent and that was on display even during the John Howard controversy, isn't it? His name-calling and castigating India was clearly out of line, don't you agree SachDan?
You should take a rest from this forum too. :wall:
Too right you are Sriram' date=' one can only tolerate so much. For all the controversies emanating from Pak the cricketing fraternity had to endure, this is the worst and most hurtful, akin to being stabbed in the heart when you reach out a helping hand to someone that is broken, beaten and scarred.[/quote']
Top post' date=' Sriram. You've said it all.[/quote'] The only possible explanation you can come up with, to justify a fixing gang that includes players ranging from skippers to 18 year olds to one test veterans, is that they think its par for the course and absolutely acceptable behavior to fix matches. Everyone is probably thinking that ‘Oh, its just these players.. If we get rid of them, things will be sorted out after that..’. But all the indications suggest that the Pakistan cricket team is NEVER going to rid itself of this menace, no matter who the personnel is. This sort of behavior is obviously something that is deeply entrenched within their culture and life-style back home and it unsurprisingly percolates itself all the way to the cricket team. These guys are hopeless and have lost whatever credibility that’s left in the minds of opposition players and fans.

Did Terrorism Lead to this Match Fixing Scandal? This is what Geoff Lawson had to say:-

People have been quick to judge the Pakistani cricketers, but what is happening might have nothing to do with money. If these allegations of fixing are proved, it could be related to extortion, threats, and the well-being of their own family members. It would not surprise me if illegal bookmakers have told players that if they do not perform X and Y, their families will be kidnapped or harmed. Advertisement: Story continues below In my time as Pakistan coach, I gained some incredible insights into the workings of the country and the team, and I'll never forget the time the team captain called me up to his room on the eve of a match. Earlier that day, a player who we had not selected for the game approached me, saying: ''I was told I would be playing tomorrow.'' My response was, ''Well no, you're not, you've obviously been given the wrong information.'' Then the skipper of the side called me late in the evening. I went to his room and he was standing there with a very sombre-looking selector. This selector said: ''We must pick [the player who had earlier approached me], I have been told that if he is not in the team tomorrow, my daughter will be kidnapped and I will not see her again.'':omg: At first we both laughed, but then we realised he was being serious. Our chairman then called the president, Pervez Musharraf, who in turn phoned the people behind the threats and said they had better reconsider or else. The next we heard the matter had been resolved. We must also remember that we are judging these guys by the standards of our own country, when their situations are vastly different. The first time I met Mohammad Amir was when he was 16 years old, coming to an under-19s camp. He comes from a small village near the Swat valley and was delayed by three hours because the Taliban had closed the highway. That doesn't happen in this country. One thing that struck me about Amir was his constant smile, his zest for the game. That has not changed. I will never condone any form of fixing, but we should consider that a cricketer might not be thinking of personal gain but of getting money to buy a generator for his village because they don't have electricity. I had a lot to do with Mohammad Asif and he was always missing training sessions to look after his sick mother. He has spent a lot of his money on looking after his family. If Salman Butt is involved in any match-fixing, I would be absolutely stunned. He is a very intelligent, polite guy and has done well since taking over the team. I cannot remember one incident in my time as coach of Pakistan that aroused suspicion of a fix. I had my eye on it when Asif and Shoaib Akhtar had come back from their nandrolone bans. We had a meeting about match-fixing and spot-fixing. We were pretty consistent during my tenure. The players knew there were financial rewards for performing well. My first reaction to this latest news was sadness. These are people I know, people I call friends. This will probably be the end of some careers. I don't think Pakistan should be banished. We have seen them survive some incredible on- and off-field turmoil. You shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. But I will say that the present Pakistan administration cannot escape some of the blame for this. What they need right now is positive leadership and they don't have it. The Pakistan Cricket Board chairman, Ijaz Butt, is not a leader, he should not have the job. When I was there, the board did not have people with vested interests, they were business people who treated people fairly. The first-class players were looked after and paid well and it made a difference. It would be the greatest tragedy if a young man like Aamer has been led astray.

No amount of time-away is going to reform these guys. They’ll probably use that time to hone their fixing talents and draw a list of Never- to-do things and come back fresh and raring to go as ever. That list might include bullet points like oh I don’t know ‘Never interact with loud-mouth middle man who brags about his crimes like a 80s Indian movie villain, who conveniently outlines all his crimes point-by-point towards the climax, even as the undercover cop hero records all of it in a tape-recorder in his trouser-pocket’, or maybe ‘Stop roping in 18 year kids who, in their sheer nervousness to comply with directives, over-step by a distance separating the earth and the moon, making it look ridiculously obvious, but stick to internationally accredited, CMMI Level 5 cheats like Asif’ :laugh:

Media Watch Have been following the world media after the fixing scandal but none as horrible, biased and self serving as the Australian! Don't miss the comments! http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/dont-blame-players-for-rotten-state-of-game/comments-e6frg7mf-1225911608941 Here is one sample! David @jerra Posted at 7:20 AM August 30, 2010 The question is, 'what to do about it?'. On betting, let's start by banning betting advertising, which attempts to give these nefarious characters respectibility through association. And perhaps it is time to have a new world series that cuts India out. Drastic? Yes, but radical surgery is needed to prevent this game from becoming world championship wrestling. Comment 3 of 22

And just look at sheer audacity of some of their players. Salman Butt has been captain for hardly long enough for the paint on the name-plate outside his room saying ‘Salman Butt, captain of Pakistan cricket team’ to dry and yet, he’s the ring-leader of a betting ring-right inside the team. And of all people, the captain, yes, THE CAPTAIN of the cricket team is organizing all this. So you can only imagine what kind of crook culture pervades right through their team. His deputy is Mr. Toothie face, Kamran Akmal. It wasn’t long ago that this guy was caught up in an entirely different match-fixing cloud, after the Sydney test. Back then, he came out with despondent statements, saying that his family and he had been deeply affected by these allegations and how he could barely go out with his family for a cinema because people hoot and holler at him, wherever he goes. And now, he’s back at it again?! :dontknow: And if that wasn’t enough, they even managed to rope in the 18 year old, who’s barely legal to even place a bet, to actually fix matches for a betting syndicate. :wall: Their list of young inductees does not end there. Apparently, Wahab Riaz, all of one test old in international cricket, is in it as well and so is Umar Amin, who even before cementing his place as a middle order batsmen, seems to have cemented his place as a loyal foot solider of the cheating army. But even If we somehow manage to gloss over these cases, how could we possibly look at Mohammed Asif without expressions of sheer disbelief. I mean, Is there an allegation this guy has not been caught up with. But for PCB interference, this guy would still be a Dubai Jail for carrying contraband substances through airport security, counting bars with his broken math. He scraped his way out of that prison sentence, broke down on national tv, claiming how he had once bowled 28 overs in a day for Pakistan and given his country everything. And while on his path back to cricketing normalcy, he and his ex-fiance traded public spats on live tv that made you wonder how these two ever got along with each other. Even before the dust settled on that, here he is, back to his cheating best. :haha: It simply boggles one’s mind to think how these guys could possibly keep committing the same mistakes, despite being caught in the act multiple times. The obvious and the only inference is, this sort of immoral and despicable behavior is embedded deep in their basic fabric as individuals, so much so that it a compulsive and addictive thing for them. There have some commentators like Nasser Hussein who said that part of the reason why this keeps happening is because of the disparity of the match-fee b/w other nations and Pakistan. That is utter BS. Guys like Salman Butt, Asif, Akmal have been in the team for years and are probably multi-millionaires themselves. Where is the monetary justification for them to cheat? This isn’t ‘need’ that is making these people, it is sheer ‘greed’. You can satisfy legitimate needs of people, but you can never satisfy their greed. Shame on these crooks. I hope I never see the faces of some of these repeat offender on a cricket field, ever again. Can anyone ever believe these guys anymore, however dramatic their on-camera theatrics and denials get?
:two_thumbs_up:

This was a sad day for cricket! Aamer was one of my most faovurite young players. And I am saddened that his name has been besmirched and soiled. Nothing has yet been proved. But I am sure at least one or two of the players have to be guilty. Or so I think right now. Who will host Pakistan from here on? This is a slap in the face of the hosts who lent them a helping hand! They have to help themselves. Imran's mentioning role models might sound valid, but should not be used as a convenient excuse. There is no guarantee that having role model type people will mean that everybody would learn from them. The next generation cricketers in India are not a patch on the likes of Tendulkar and Dravid. And nor should they be expected to emulate them. In Pakistan the problems seem to be systemic and endemic. I really hope for cricket's sake that Aamer is cleared. But not at the cost of the spirit and fundamentals of the game. If he was guilty as charged - no matter his age and no matter his regret, he has to be thrown out of the game. No second thought. He must be made an example of. This is cricket's golden opportunity. Will the ICC take it? Or will it sit down and munch popcorn while the PCB continues its ritual bungling exercise?

Did the terrorists ask Afridi to do freestyle ballet mid-pitch? Did the terrorists force him to find out what a combination of red-leather, mud and dead grass taste when shoved into the mouth? Did they ask Asif to pass through Dubai international airport with opium in his wallet? Or did they supply Asif and Akhtar with Nandrolone before WC 07? Yes, in a certain sense, you’re mildly sympathetic of the plight of the average Pakistani player in a country like theirs, where corruption, extortion and blackmailing is endemic, but surely that cannot explain the long laundry list of offences committed by their players. Their entire system is a self-perpetuating cycle where one failing feeds off the other. Yes, the players probably do receive death threats, but that’s probably because the terrorist thought knew such methods worked before, in the Pakistani team.