Introduction Thread for New members  

52 members have voted

1. 1.

• Google
    • Referred by someone
    • Caught Bukhar
    • Other (please specify)
    • Youtube or other videos

Hi My name is Swaranjeet Singh, I am much older than any of you I suppose (the 50 after SJS denotes the year of my birth) so you will have to excuse me for being a bit old fashioned by comparison to all of you. I will try not to let that be a drag :) I am originally from Delhi where I lived for the first 35 years of my life. In 1985 I moved to Bombay and Baroda (where I was setting up a new Public Limited Company as CEO for a well know Bombay based compan) and for the last 12 years or so am living only in Bombay. I am retired and have two sons living in Europe and USA who are probably older than most of you too :) I have played some decent level of cricket in Delhi from 1965 to 1985 and have had the pleasure of playing with or against most of the Indian criocketers from North Zone during that time. I have been posting on CW since, I think, 2005 and write for them regularly, well kind of regularly - since I travel a lot I miss a few months :) Day before yesterday, sitting late due to jet lag,I decided to have a look around to see what other forums are active and came across yours, so here i am. You will see me around off and on.

Welcome SJS50!! Do you mind if I call you "Uncle"' date=' in the good ole Indian way of addressing male elders? :D[/quote'] SJS or SJ is fine I think, no? I would have put my 'nickname' here as SJS same as in CW but this site does not accept a three letter user-name

Welcome aboard SJS. Looking forward to reading your posts on the game here, particularly on some of the older days and players from the era of Ghavri, Vishy and Amarnath. (Did you ever get the chance to play against either Mohinder or Surinder Amarnath?)

Welcome aboard SJS. Looking forward to reading your posts on the game here' date=' particularly on some of the older days and players from the era of Ghavri, Vishy and Amarnath. (Did you ever get the chance to play against either Mohinder or Surinder Amarnath?)[/quote'] Yes I played against Mohinder, Surinder (just once), Bedi, Madan Lal, Manoj Prabhakar, Arun Lal, Maninder Singh etc number of times in the Delhi A Division league and in the tournaments in Delhi, Punjab, Haryana and UP.

Hi I have played some decent level of cricket in Delhi from 1965 to 1985 and have had the pleasure of playing with or against most of the Indian criocketers from North Zone during that time.
And SJS is *extremely* well read in cricket literature, has an enormous collection of cricket books :dance:

Around 200 or so. It is nothing compared to SJS. I do have a big collection of Sportstars
Wow I am jealous of that. I used to collect them from the time the magazine was called Sports and Pastime. It was an amazing collection of photographs from the games going on. I remember in one issue, the one that covered this Test match between India and England in 1964. It had 96 photographs from the Test ? It was amazing. We used to sit down to listen to Test match commentaries on radio with issues of Sports & Pastime spread out in front of us and visualise the strokes :) I had all issues of the magazine from 1961 to March 1985. I left in March '85 for Bombay to start my career as a corporate honcho and left my precious magazines in an old trunk thinking I will come back and take them with me by train since the trunk was to much to take on the flight. I continued buying the magazine in Bombay and Baroda where I was busy setting up a new plant and then, a couple of years later, I decided to get my magazines back and found that my mother had sold the lot to the "kabadiwala" thinking I had finally grown out of my junoon of collecting "junk" about the game now that I was a "bada saheb". I was furious. For the only time in my entire life with my gentle mother. In a pique I got rid of the two years of magazines I had bought after leaving Delhi since the more precious part of my collection was gone, used to pack peanuts in Jhumri Tallaya I suppose :) I will give anything to get a collection like that. I have since scourged the internet on many occasions to find if anyone has a collection that he wants to sell but haven't been successful. :(

I can post some of my cricket book review links here is you are interested.
Can you start a new thread for it? I've also got a solid collection (a bunch of stuff by Fingleton, a few by Arlott, Ray Robinson, Guha, Benaud and one or two by Cardus and plenty more...) - can throw out some reviews as well later.