Visualization Feedback requested (Update: Second version)

varun

Hmm Scorecard. I was thinking red = 6's, orange = 4's, dark green = dot balls other shades for 1,2,3 But Sehwag has only 7 4's in a ton :hmmm:
Almost there actually. I'm trying to get a graphical rendering of the ball-by-ball analysis for each player. The bars flow outwards radially as the player faces more balls. Each ball is marked with a stripe of the following colors: Brighter green = higher number of runs scored.. Dark green = dot ball Orange = the player was beaten or edged it Light Red = the player was dropped Red = the player was out Do you think this representation works well enough to visualize the match data ? Any Suggestions or alternative ideas ?
Almost there actually. I'm trying to get a graphical rendering of the ball-by-ball analysis for each player. The bars flow outwards radially as the player faces more balls. Each ball is marked with a stripe of the following colors: Brighter green = higher number of runs scored.. Dark green = dot ball Orange = the player was beaten or edged it Light Red = the player was dropped Red = the player was out Do you think this representation works well enough to visualize the match data ? Any Suggestions or alternative ideas ?
Great idea. But can the colour combination be a bit better? For example, I find no difference between light red and red. Not much difference between brighter green and dark green too.

your commitment to working on new stuff is inspiring Varun bhau. All of us should find more useful things to do in our spare time. Feedback: Attributes of interest in a batsman's Innings - length, runs scored, strike-rate, 'quality' i.e. did he get many lives or was it a dominating chanceless innings what this does well: - excellent representation of innings duration. - showing 'lives' and 'beaten' events gives you a great snapshot of the 'quality' of the innings what it doesn't do so well - runs scored by the batsman not represented clearly. For eg. Sehwag has scored 109 compared to 137 for S'weera - very comparable scores, but that is not conveyed at all. At the end of the day, its the runs that count, gotta represent this more accurately. Maybe put the name and score (balls) thats at the end of the bar, in a colored circle - diameter proportional to runs scored? - rate of runs scored: The idea of duller-brighter to indicate # of runs scored is pretty good. Maybe you try some different color that brings this out more? - Dot balls: how about white to represent dot-balls? Representation of 'lives' is great - might want to consider having greater differentiation between lives and 'beaten'. orange and light red are too similar, no?

Just for legibility sake, you might want to drop the circular representation and just go with the traditional line by line one. That way you will be easily able to show all 11 people of a given team. And then switch over to the next screen for the other team. Also if you think about it, this is not so different from the normal manual scoring system where the scorer marks each ball that a player plays and writes down the runs scored etc. So we could just as well mark the numbers (runs) out there for each ball. That way there would be no confusion. The element added would definitely be chances. Perhaps a new symbol may be called for in this case. That would improve overall legibility.

Attributes of interest in a batsman's Innings - length, runs scored, strike-rate, 'quality' i.e. did he get many lives or was it a dominating chanceless innings what this does well: - excellent representation of innings duration. - showing 'lives' and 'beaten' events gives you a great snapshot of the 'quality' of the innings
Glad you picked that up.. That was the intention of the graph.
- runs scored by the batsman not represented clearly. For eg. Sehwag has scored 109 compared to 137 for S'weera - very comparable scores, but that is not conveyed at all. At the end of the day, its the runs that count, gotta represent this more accurately. Maybe put the name and score (balls) thats at the end of the bar, in a colored circle - diameter proportional to runs scored?
Interesting thought.. I'll experiment with the idea.
- rate of runs scored: The idea of duller-brighter to indicate # of runs scored is pretty good. Maybe you try some different color that brings this out more?
Already on it :)
- Dot balls: how about white to represent dot-balls?
Will try that out.
Representation of 'lives' is great - might want to consider having greater differentiation between lives and 'beaten'. orange and light red are too similar, no?
True.
Just for legibility sake' date=' you might want to drop the circular representation and just go with the traditional line by line one. That way you will be easily able to show all 11 people of a given team. And then switch over to the next screen for the other team. [/quote'] I wanted to show innings comparisons of the team side by side hence the circular idea.. Plus it seemed a bit more fun to do :D
Also if you think about it, this is not so different from the normal manual scoring system where the scorer marks each ball that a player plays and writes down the runs scored etc. So we could just as well mark the numbers (runs) out there for each ball. That way there would be no confusion. The element added would definitely be chances. Perhaps a new symbol may be called for in this case. That would improve overall legibility.
True.
Suggestion : Use bar graph. Much more easy to visualize. Order the players either by batting order or by runs scored ( or provide both options :D ) Make each bar clickable to drill down further to see the gory details ( 4s,6s,dot balls etc )
Hmm.. given what you and vortex say, I could try to provide an option to view the data in a traditional way as well.

my $0.02 random ideas :yoyo: ability to zoom in on the chart itself or better a link to the individual player's zoomed/panoramic view of the timeline (innings) which you can scroll horizontally , and another click on that and you get all the ball by ball commentary for that player in that innings. Since you have the ball by ball stats, then perhaps you can also compare the batsmen vs individual bowlers as well :P

my $0.02 random ideas :yoyo: ability to zoom in on the chart itself or better a link to the individual player's zoomed/panoramic view of the timeline (innings) which you can scroll horizontally , and another click on that and you get all the ball by ball commentary for that player in that innings. Since you have the ball by ball stats, then perhaps you can also compare the batsmen vs individual bowlers as well :P
That would be godly if implemented
ability to zoom in on the chart itself
Can already do that. The chart is rendered in SVG.
or better a link to the individual player's zoomed/panoramic view of the timeline (innings) which you can scroll horizontally , and another click on that and you get all the ball by ball commentary for that player in that innings.
lol, it's like you're reading my todo list.. Agree with the above :D
Since you have the ball by ball stats, then perhaps you can also compare the batsmen vs individual bowlers as well :P
yeah.. all in good time. Another thing i'm thinking of doing is like a "replay" button, which animates the graph as the match goes on.